Weekend trip with some friends and the old man.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by marcodecca, Sep 11, 2020.

1. marcodecca

marcodecca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Date: August 13, 2020
    Start: Indianapolis, IN
    Finish: Hones Pointe, KY
    Distance: 215 miles

I wake up to a text from my pops that him, his friend Eric (my dad and Eric, with a couple other friends, did Route 40 in Argentina last year), and my friend Nate are all headed to my house. Quick drink of coffee, and a shower to wash off all of the dirt that I gathered packing last night, and before I know it, theyre out front. My dad is on his KLR650 that he got as a midlife crisis (at 53, so were hoping that he makes it to 106, the math is there) after being diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, Eric is on a Versys and Nate is riding his 4 day old (to him) Tiger 800XC. I am riding my lovable, but extremely uncomfortable on long trips FZ07. Dad is having problems with his bike due to lack of comfort with low speed maneuvers, and the fact that he needs 6" platforms to flat foot his KLR, why he bought such a large bike is beyond anyone's understanding, but he is happy, so no one says anything. The trip was originally supposed to start in Franklin, IN, but we all live within 15 miles of each other, so it just made more sense to meet at the southernomost house... mine. No comment on who suggested that.

To get to Franklin, we just take the highway, its easier and we dont really have a route planned. At Franklin, we stop for gas and get off the highway, starting our adventure on backroads. We stop at Story, IN, a fun little town in the middle of nowhere and grab a beer and lunch. I am not hungry and dont order anything, a decision I regret once the burgers come out. Leaving Story is fun, there is a gravel parking lot with long straights and I use this to start my many practices of breaking the rear tire loose in gravel and controling the bike with the rear wheel in the loose. Nate isnt amused at my shenanigans. After a bit back on the road, we notice that my dad and Eric are no longer behind us so we pull off to the side of the road to wait a few minutes. Right as I am about to head back for them, they come around a bend. We've had our first drop of the trip, my father dumped his bike to its right in the gravel and had a hard time getting it back up since he didnt put his kickstand down while lifting it. Ive already grown tired of the FZ07 and its uncomfortable seat, and have started experimenting riding while standing, a fun feat that has me hanging on for dear life as the FZ has no real windscreen. At this time, Im told that Nate has lowered his bike TOO much, and his center stand is dragging through every turn.

We continue on 135 to Salem, but need to take a significant detour on 58, 446, and 50 due to some road closures. The new Zumo XT that I got starts to get on my nerves, constantly trying to route me back to the planned route. During 99% of the detour, it is telling me to make a U-Turn when possible, or trying to get me to turn around with some "take the next three right turns and make a left" trickery. I ignore it and follow the orange detour signs. If anyone has a suggestion on how to get it to shut up during a detour, Im all ears!

I find some backroads to take and a muddy pass. Stopping the group to make sure everyone is comfortable with it, we head back, but pops chickens out at the trailhead. He has the most capable of the bikes, but thinks it is too heavy and is afraid of dropping it. I might get him some engine guards and/or a adventure motorcycle riding course (that Ill tag along for) for Christmas. We decide to forego the muddy pass, which is kind of good because I am on a street bike with street tires. Zero f*cks given, Ive dumped the FZ in a river crossing before. We continue onto 160 and decide to stop for gas again. Nate's auto deploying kick stand has a malfunction (read, he forgets to put his kickstand down) and he dumps it in the gas station. Being the good friend that I am, I have a good laugh at his expense. This is the second, and last down of the trip. A little rain hits us, but nothing major, and nothing compared to what the next few days have in store for us.

We cross the Ohio and are officially in KY. A short trip around Louisville puts us in Crestwood, where we find 3rd Turn brewing. A nice little brewery that also serves food. Beer was good, food left alot to be desired. They have an interesting patio, offering cover from the elements via wisterias. A few people ask us about our trip, but I leave the talking to the old man and Nate. I have never been much of a talker. After the brewery, we head to a liquour store to pick up campground beers, and then make our way to Hones Pointe. Dad's bike needs a headlight adjustment, its currently set for ISS tracking, but not very good to see in the dark. He follows very close and I slow down a bit to make sure he is comfortable.

Hones Pointe is a nice campground. Very well kept and has at least 15 different campsites, plus more that I am sure we didnt see. A creek runs next to it so we had running water as a nice background ambiance all night. The host never shows up, and tells us to pick whatever spot we want for the night, as we are the only ones there. We pick the main site, which has a large shelter. Eric pitches his tent close to my dad, while knowing better, Nate and I go as far away as possible. That man falls asleep very quickly, snores up a storm all night and does not wake easily. Eric's first time pitching a tent goes by without a hitch!

A few beers are consumed around the campsite, we talk until midnight or so, and turn in for the night in good spirits. This is the last time that we will be completely dry this trip.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-12 at 7.34.10 PM.jpg Touring FZ07
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-13 at 3.08.37 PM.jpg All the bikes ready to go. Nate, Eric, and my Pops from left to right respectively.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-13 at 3.19.22 PM (1).jpg Story, IN
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-13 at 9.58.03 PM.jpg The culpript of the first drop
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-13 at 9.58.19 PM (1).jpg Showing us how he lifted his bike and then had to figure out how to get the kickstand down from the opposite side
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-13 at 9.58.19 PM.jpg 3rd Turn Brewery dining area
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-13 at 9.58.20 PM.jpg This guy talked to us about 15 minutes, he was riding the red SV in the picture
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-13 at 11.39.38 PM.jpg I cant take a picture and not make stupid faces. Also Nate was trying to crop me out
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 12.54.35 PM.jpg Enjoy the dryness, you naive fools

Attached Files:

markbxr400 and JB2 like this.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Cool ride! Bhuff and I just spent 4 wonderful days in Southern Indiana and traveled the length of 135. Your shortcut around the roadblock would have been to stay on 135 going south. 2 miles north of 50 you can go west 1 mile then south 2 miles to get around a simple bridge closure. Tell your pop that Soupy's sells a great set of adjustable links for the KLR. I dropped mine down 1-1/2" with a Sargent low profile seat, 1-1/2" in the back with the Soupy's links and 1/2" on the front fork at the trees. Made the bike REALLY stable and easy to flat foot for a short guy. The only fabrication was to cut 2" off the kickstand and weld on a new foot.
    marcodecca likes this.
  3. marcodecca

marcodecca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Date: August 14, 2020
    Start: Hones Pointe, KY
    Finish: Red River Gorge, KY
    Distance: 278 miles

Tossed and turned all night, remembered that the sleeping pad that I packed has a small leak in it, and I make a mental note, like I have done countless times in the past, to fix it when I get home. Its still not fixed, Ill do it before next trip. We get the gear packed and I brew a fresh cup of instant coffee, it tastes like mocha and has too much sugar, whatever, I am riding bikes with the old man, nothing can ruin my day. And then it starts raining. The campground host comes over and gives my dad a bottle of Lemon Tea flavored Vodka, not sure if its a gift he purchased for us specifically, or a re-gift. Either way, we have a good laugh about it and pack it with the rest of the booze. Nate puts on all of his rain gear, Eric trusts his waterproof jacket and pants, my dad puts on his wet gear, and I put on my riding jacket, with a raincoat underneath. Ive always been comfortable in rain and water, never really cared about getting soaked to the bones as long as the temperature was decent, and my core is dry, Im good. It drizzled all morning, with times of heavy rain thrown in here and there. I forgot what color my pants originally were, but theyre a dark hue of their former selves at this point.

In Frankfort, we stop for gas. There isnt a dry spot on my pants. One of those riding days where you just feel the water drip down the front and back of the pants. But the temperature is nice, and I get a good laugh to myself whenever I fart and there is uncertainty if it was just a fart or I really shit myself that time. Eric's gear has soaked thru, and he runs to Walgreens to get a poncho to put under his gear. I dont see his fashion sense until later in the day, the picture speaks for itself. This trip is my first time taking the bike out in 2020, something that I deeply regret because I forgot about the mind-clearing enjoyment that riding brings. I also do not feel the confidence that I had in previous years in riding in the rain. For some reason, that confidence never really returned during this trip.

We ride from Frankfort to Lexington, passing horse country. I start looking for a good food place to stop, but there is nothing nearby. Eventually, we make it to a marina/restaurant and have a nice meal there. After lunch, the sun comes out for a bit, and we put our rain gear away. Everything below my waist is still soaking wet, and will remain like that for the remainder of the day. Dad locked up his bike and fishtailed a couple times, but no drops. We saw a flock of turkeys, and one even took off and flew above us for a hundred feet or so! There was a random stop to put rain gear back on as the rain started again, and we continued towards Slade. My father heard of this pub that we planned to regroup and find a place to rest, but they were closed.

According to my dad, "Slade is Marco's territory." Story time: After getting my first motorcycle ('75 CB750) I cobbled it into running condition, and met a group of local friends. One year, they invite me out to the Spring Thaw, in Red River Gorge. "Just a weekend gathering of like minded bike peeps from all over." is how it was pitched to me. Little did I know then that some of those likeminded people would become good friends over the course of those4 days. Im rambling, but at that first Spring Thaw was when I really fell in loves with motorcycles, winding roads and the balance that the two can bring when in harmony. Slade is my territory, going north on 11, from 715 to 15, no one in our group can touch me. It feels good to ride that stretch of road, and for that time, even the rain and wet road isnt a bother.

Fortunately, the rain gives up the fight as we pull into Miguel's. I have to park my dad's bike as he cannot push it backwards in the gravel. "Youre on a KLR, drive through the damn grass" I yell at him, but he doesnt, and I park his bike. Three dollars per person is all it takes, and we setup camp. Eric and Nate decide to pitch near my dad. I, once again, pitch as far as possible. Food at Miguel's is a couple pizzas, and too many margaritas for me. We stay up late into the night drinking Lemon Tea flavored Vodka. A camper tells us to be quiet and we turn in for the night. Long wet day. Still dryer than tomorrow.

0814201327_HDR.jpg Remember Eric's poncho? This is the outfit he put together
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 10.20.53 AM.jpg Lunch at the marina. Rained all through lunch but it was nice to sit and eat. Hot coffee was necessary!
    0814201619_HDR.jpg Stopping to put on rain gear
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 12.54.35 PM (2).jpg Dad, Nate, Eric from left to right
    0814201620_HDR.jpg Wooden bridges are fun in the wet
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 9.17.25 AM (1).jpg Parking for the night at Miguel's
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 9.17.26 AM (1).jpg I enjoy drinking Ale8 when in KY. Now we can get it in IN, but its just not the same
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 9.17.26 AM.jpg Here's a random photo of Nate
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 12.54.35 PM (3).jpg The infamous bottle of vodka

Attached Files:

9Realms and JB2 like this.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Miguel's is great pizza. Following your report. Hoping that you hit Nada Tunnel too since you're near the Red River Gorge. :lurk
    marcodecca likes this.
  5. marcodecca

marcodecca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Date: August 15, 2020
    Start: Red River Gorge, KY
    Finish: Falls Campground, KY
    Distance: 157 miles

The morning at Miguel's comes after another restless night's sleep. There is no rain, but I have to wake up once or twice a night to re-inflate the sleeping pad "I really should fix that, make a mental note." Dad and Eric wake up early and go get breakfast at Miguel's. They come back eventually, after Eric showers ($1 for 4 minutes) and let me and Nate know that the breakfast takes forever and the coffee tastes like ass. Nate decides to get breakfast, and I join him, ignoring my dad's warnings as I normally do, and get a large cup of coffee. It tastes like ass. Time to gear up for the day's bike ride. Everyone puts on a fresh pair of pants and socks, and Im over here in my tent putting on wet pants, and wet socks and boots. Masochism at its finest. Whatever, Im riding a motorcycle soon, cant be mad about that. Dad wanted to go hiking, but the group agrees to go ride since the weather is looking like it will hold for a while. We make it from Miguel's to 15 before the rain starts. BIG droplets of rain that feel like paintballs. Painful even through the jacket. As I am about to stop to put on wet gear, the rain lets up and gives the sun a few moments of peeks through the cloud cover.

We follow the Bert T Combs Mountain Parkway to 715, and then take 715 north. At the split to Chimney Top, we take the gravel road to go explore a little. The FZ is not a gravel bike and feels very squirrley on that road, but I still practice breaking the rear end loose, and controlling small drifts as much as possible. Three side to side headshakes are clearly visible in my mirrors everytime I do so. At Chimney Top parking, Nate feels that he is hearing a noise from the front end of his bike, he asks me to take a look at it and I oblige. When he tells the story, he lovingly words it as "That asshole jumps on, rips off with the back end kicking rocks sideways and last I heard he was in 4th or 5th gear. Then he comes screaming around the corner, skids in the gravel and hops off. "I didnt hear anything" is the only thing he says to me." Secretly, I am envious of how smooth Nate's Tiger felt on the gravel when compared to the FZ. We hike out to Chimney Top, snap some pictures and eventually hike back to the bikes. Continuing on 715 northbound, I slow down for the U-turn at the split towards Sky Bridge and my dad isnt paying attention and locks up his rear brakes and skids past all of us. Sky Bridge parking lot was packed, so we forego that and go to the smaller parking lot off to the side. Nothing crazy to see there, on the hike back to the bikes, a man wants to talk to us about bikes and trips, and my father and Nate indulge him for a bit. 715 has moss on the road, which is interesting, and terrifying. As we get to 77, I completely missed the NADA Tunnel sign, and turn right. By the time I realize my mistake, its too late. Ive seen it before, and will have to take another trip with Nate to show it to him.

Near Cave Run Lake, the rain is the hardest its been during the whole trip. Leading through the construction zone is terrifying, as visibility is measurable in inches, and the road is in various stages of completion. We all get completely drenched within minutes. I yell in my helmet numerous times for it to stop raining, but I guess the bike drained out my yelling because the raining didnt stop. At Morehead, we stop at Sawstone Brewing, see a little shop that has our new ride mascot, and get food from the Pizza place from across the street. The calzone I get is filling and amazing! The breaded mushrooms had room for improvement. Back on the road, we stop for gas, and the GPS leads me astray. As I later come to find out, if there is a set route, and a stop is added, everything after the stop will revert back to fastest routing instead of keeping to the previously set route. Dad yells at me on the side of the road, but I cant hear him over the bike, my podcasts and the earplugs. We will need to figure out a way to communicate with each other better on future trips. I have bluetooth, but not sure if it is compatible with his, Nate's or Eric's.

There is a bad accident that has the road closed off, and traffic is routed through a parking lot, a neighborhood, another parking lot, and then backed up quite a bit before rejoining the road. I hop a sidewalk on the FZ, ride over some grass and join the road a little bit down the ways. The group follows my shenanigans... excellent, I am slowly converting them to Hoonigans. As we pull into the town for our campground, a weird intersection and an inatentive driver has me lock up the rear on a wet bridge, bike was sideways, then sideways with the rear wheel in the air, then stopped with both wheels on the ground. Im sure it looked trivial, but it felt pretty cool. FZ doesnt have ABS, so I make a mental note to practice emergency stops on good roads as well as the loose stuff. The campground has tent camping, cabin camping and RV camping. We opted for tent, as I thought it would be cheaper, and didnt want to sleep in a one room cabin with Captain Snoresalot. The rest of the group took a shower, I decided to continue my stinky weekend adventure and take a nap instead. The Dollar General across the road served all of our food needs, but unfortunately, no alcohol. We made due with the little we had leftover from the previous night. Dad almost ate a chunk of the road as he tried to run down a hill with handfuls of groceries in his Birkensocks, which I call his Jerusalem Cruisers. We tried to get a fire going, but the extremely deep (for a fire pit) fire pit with the addition of wet wood and kindling, proved troublesome. At some point, I get annoyed and go to Dollar General for a bottle of lighter fluid. We have a fire, and Nate and I stay up late into the night, chatting, enjoying the ambiance and relaxing after a difficult day's ride. Eventually we put all the food away, and turn in for the night.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 9.17.27 AM.jpg Red River Gorge from Chimney Top
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 10.20.21 AM.jpg This picture would lead one to believe he is shorter than he really is.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-16 at 12.59.33 PM.jpg The mascot
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 9.17.27 AM (1).jpg Always a welcome sight seeing a local beer sign
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-16 at 12.58.06 PM.jpg My pops and I enjoy craft beer almost as much as motorcycles
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 9.17.28 AM.jpg Sun came out long enough to ALMOST dry everything off
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 12.54.35 PM (10).jpg Falls Campground
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-16 at 8.45.15 PM.jpg ...
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 12.54.35 PM (11).jpeg Wet wood and a 2 foot deep firepit lead to some slow fire starting

Attached Files:

JB2 and 9Realms like this.
  6. marcodecca

marcodecca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Date: August 16, 2020
    Start: Falls Campground, KY
    Finish: Madison, IN
    Distance: 304 miles

We wake up to the campgrounds morning mass. None of the group is religious, so we pack up and get to the road quickly. I only had to wake up once last night to reinflate the sleeping pad. The road out is nice, we see some more turkeys and a few dogs join the ride for a short stint. Ive always found with dogs that slowing down for a little bit so they adjust their trajectory, then speeding up again throws them for a loop. Simple lovable creatures, but they can calculate an intercept path like nobody's business! We pass a farm that had a bunch of animal skins drying, and get rained on a little here and there. The road quality improves drastically, but so does the traffic. As we make our way towards Cinci, traffic keeps increasing and we end up stuck behind a semi on a backcountry road that a semi has no business driving on. Oh well, thats life.

We cross back into KY on the 68 bridge and stop for lunch at a Mexican restaurant in Aberdeen. Aberdeen to Hash Rabbit is an uneventful ride, my shoulder is painfully sore, my ass stopped feeling long ago and I am annoyed by the constant wind at my chest. The FZ was not the bike for this trip. We follow the road that is next to the river and there is a ferry that my dad wants to take, but he cant communicate with me (we need better forms of comms). As we cross back into IN, we get gas in Lawrenceburg and start scouting for the final night's campsite. I had had enough leading the group, and told my dad to take over, thinking he had the route pulled up on his phone. He has a tendency to slam his brakes at the last second, and nearly causes a group wreck numerous times. This annoys me even more than the constant pain my shoulder is in. We stop at three campsites that dont have anyone manning the front office, and decide to keep going to Madison and get a hotel room there. Eric decides that we are close enought to Indy, and parts ways home.

At Madison, we stop by Shipley's to grab food, a drink and unwind/regroup thoughts about where to sleep for the night. Nate mentions that Clifty Falls is nearby, and we decide to test our luck there, as the website doesnt allow reservations to be made online. At the entrance to Clifty Falls, the guard asks for a State Park Pass (something that I buy every year, as I mountain bike often and it pays for itself after a few weeks of stopping by a park near my house). I mention I have one, and he just lets us enter without needing to get it out. Nice of him, didnt want to dig through my jacket anyways. The primitive camping side of the campground has one or two other spots being used, but is otherwise empty. I pick a site that will have good morning sun coverage, and is still somewhat near the bathrooms. We setup camp, Nate and I waiting for my dad to pick a spot before we pitch our tents (notice the trend? Have I mentioned how much he snores?). Once we get the campfire going, we decide to go through the rest of our libations. I got a four pack of Double Dry Hopped King Sue, Nate got some Trulys and my father, a bottle of Malbec. We try to charge my father's phone with my battery pack, but it is also empty. Everyone finishes their drinks for the evening, we play with the fire some, and all go to bed exhausted.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 9.17.29 AM.jpg If you ever find yourself in Madison, IN, this is the place to eat
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-18 at 10.18.43 AM.jpg Dad is in the orange tent, Nate is grey.

Attached Files:

JB2 likes this.
  7. marcodecca

marcodecca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Date: August 16, 2020
    Start: Madison, IN
    Finish: Home, IN
    Distance: 161 miles

Everyone is feeling groggy. We will have to take more trips together to determine if it was the booze or the miles of the day. Likely a combination of both. Dad's phone did not charge at all over night, so I am left to lead again (next time, I am making sure that EVERYONE has the route pulled up on their phone and saved for offline use. Leading for the entire trip has taken a toll). We go to leave Clifty Falls, but the entrance is closed, I am a little bummed out, as I wanted a picture of all the bikes and the three of us in front of the large waterfall, but that quickly goes away as the route to the other entrance is quite nice and the weather is perfect! We hit 62, which is nice, but alot is blocked off due to construction. Friendsville is our last gas stop of the day, and the boring part of the trip begins. 129 to Batesville, 229 to Metamora, and then we find out that 52 is closed to Brookville. We decide to head to Rushville for lunch. Another Mexican restaurant. I get too much food, and too much beer, but make it work. After lunch, we split as a group, my dad and Nate heading North, while I am heading West.

The ride home is uneventful. Lots of straight backcountry roads, but its fun to pass cars when traffic allows. As I pull into the driveway, the garage door remote has ran out of batteries, which I get a good chuckle from and find as a good summary of the trip as I get off the bike to punch in the code into the door keypad: The initial plan didnt work, but the alternate plan was an adequate replacement, if not better.

I take all the gear off of the bike, throw it into my bedroom, say hello to the dogs and lay down for an eight hour nap. Right as I am about to fall asleep, my internal monolouge takes over "Ill take a shower tomorrow, right after I patch the hole in the sleeping pad."

Its still not patched.

fin

Attached Files:

9w6vx and JB2 like this.
  8. alyron619

alyron619 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip. Make as many memories with your father as you can. Life goes by too quickly.
    marcodecca and JB2 like this.
  9. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Too bad you missed NADA Tunnel but like you said, you can always go back. My first time through was on a Buell and with the encouragement of a local rider we attempted to "wheelie" through the tunnel. The space is so confined that seeing your headlight hitting the ceiling becomes pretty eerie. I made it about 1/3 of the way through I dropped the front back to level ground. I really like your straight forward commentary and observations. The last night on the road for us found us in Story where we got very happy. Drinking Busted Knuckle Dark Ale became the source of a numb ride north the next day.

You live close so maybe your crew and our crew will cross paths one day? :beer
    marcodecca likes this.
  10. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    +1 DAMHIK(Don's Ask Me How I Know)
  11. marcodecca

marcodecca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First time through NADA for me was on Fat Rhonda (75 CB750), then on Fat Rhonda with an open exhaust, then on the FZ, and one more time on the FZ with an Akra exhaust. Its a fun thing to experience, for sure, I cant imagine trying to wheelie the whole length of it!
    JB2 likes this.
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    I now have an inexplicable urge to go riding in that part of Kentucky. Thanks for the RR.
    JB2 likes this.