WeeStrom: Pelican 1430's on SW Motech Racks

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by CA_Strom, Feb 23, 2006.

1. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally finished mounting my SW Motech quick release racks and Pelican Cases. The whole deal costs a little over $300: $199 for the Motech Racks, $30 for two Motech lock knobs, $104 for two Pelican 1430 cases, and about $20 for some good stainless mounting hardware. I already had the Pelican 1500 topcase from a prior project. The 1430 side cases mount to the rack frames using four existing holes. I used large stainless fender washers, rubber washers, and stainless nylock nuts and bolts.
    I'm very happy with the quality of the whole thing. The racks are very sturdy and can be removed in about 30 seconds. The 1430's are on the small side, but perfect for my comutting needs. The rear width with the side cases comes in at a manageable 38 inches; not much wider than the bars. For safety, I added a bit of red SOLAS tape on the rear and white for the side cases. I really like the industrial look and durability of the Pelicans.
    Rear view:
    [​IMG]
    Side View:
    [​IMG]
    Front View:
    [​IMG]
    Interior of 1430 sidecase:[​IMG]
    Interior of 1500 topcase. Two large bolts are the rear rack mount bolts (longer) and one small bolt at rear uses existing hole in factory rack:
    [​IMG]

View of how 1430 is mounted to SW Motech Frame:
    [​IMG]
  2. iDave

iDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the sidecases will hold beer on ice. Acceptable. :D
  3. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    Looks good, a lot cheaper than my Jesse's for sure!
    sure is nice to have a bike with luggage to keep your stuff dry.
  4. MikeinLA

MikeinLA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks Great, and Pelicans have a great reputation for being absolutely watertight.
  5. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Quite an impressive set-up, there.
    I can't quite come to terms w/ the nearly $1K that some other systems cost; this is an admirable means to a sufficient end.
    I think I'll try it, too. Thanks for the inspo!:thumb
  6. pyplinr

pyplinr Ta Ta Toofey

Oddometer:
    Looks good....

Just a question, do your SW Motech mounts "toe-out" as installed on your Strom?

I have a Super Ten and put the SW Motech mounts on it and phew... I had to take them back off.

It looked like a homemade job; the front of the exhaust side mount angled outward way out and out of proportion to the right side mount. And when the Trax Evo boxes were mounted the problem looked even worse. I took it all back off and ordered Wolfman mounts and the Pelican 1430 mount kits they sell.

I talked with Twisted Throttle's customer service and they werent interested in taking the mounts or cases back because they had been "installed" (despite the mounts looking like a 5 year old had aligned them to the bike...)

I'm hoping I can find someone on here in need of some cases..:D