Weight of 12GS Cast vs. Cross Spoke Wheels

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by pedalmike, Nov 13, 2006.

1. pedalmike

pedalmike Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Hi, Folks. Has anyone here actually weighed the 12GS cast wheels and their cross spoke counterparts? With or without tires would be OK.

I've heard so much conflicting information on this subject, I'm not sure what to beleive. If you have done this, or can point me to a conclusive source for the weight info, it would be appreciated.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    MCN weighed both and they claim that the front wheels weigh the same, and the rear spoked wheel weighs 2 lbs more than the rear cast wheel.
  3. looney

looney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to the electronic parts catalogue:
    spoked wheel: front 6.18kg, rear 5.91kg
    cast wheel: front 6.3kg, rear 5.474kg

Does this help?
  4. Der Alte Motorrader

Der Alte Motorrader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most sources consider the cross spoke rims to be the best choice for off road duty....IMHO the spokes are way better looking!:D
  5. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Cross spokes are stronger than cast and better suited for off road use, IMO... I do like their looks, but they are a serious PITA to keep clean... :deal
  6. GB

Oddometer:
    hmmm.. this doesn't jive with the figures listed in the MCN test.. oh well...
  7. GB

Oddometer:
    I find the front hub to be the hardest thing to keep clean.. the spoked wheels, I just use a soft bristle brush, and the wheels clean up very fast..
  8. pedalmike

pedalmike Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. If I take the parts catalogue numbers and convert to pounds, I have the cross spoke set weighing 0.7 lbs more.

I suppose there could be some minor differences set to set based on individual castings.
  9. GS THONG

GS THONG Banned

Oddometer:
    What are you doing, mailing it somewhere? The weight issue is just a fucking joke on a GS. Have you not looked at the thread "Show me your GS". They are pack mules.The GS is the perfect way to tell Eric Buell to toss off by loading it up like a wandering nomads grocery cart, ADV rider don't give a shit about "mass centralization" even though it is undeniable in its benefits. They are more worried that they have packed everything.

Cast wheels suck. The bike stands on stress rising "spokes" and with the wire spokes it hangs on them in a parachute like geometry from the top. Picture where the force goes on a cast wheel hitting a pothole and see 1-2 of the spokes taking the hit under compression in an isoltated area where it joins the rim. A wire spoke has no compression on the lower spokes, just tension on the uppers, as the wheel rotates the spokes are constantly changing there roles. Read Jobst Brandts book on the bicycle wheel and you will see what a fantastic design the spoked wheel is. The rear hub of the spoked GS is where the "fat" is and it would not matter if it was 10 lbs heavier as its weight is concentrated in the axle area (say "Buell" here!). If the weight was in the rim you would notice it more due to gyroscopic forces. And it would only be a concern on the front wheel, not so much the rear. :norton
  10. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    +1

Cleaning hint:
    Snow keeps the spokes really clean.
  11. PassTheGravy

PassTheGravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're supposed to clean them??? :wink: :lol3
  12. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    Pardon my naïveté, but what is this "clean" thing that y'all speak of? :ear

Jokes aside, absent actual facts quoted here, I would have guessed that the spoked wheels were much heavier than the cast ones. I am glad to hear that the difference is not very significant.

I would say that if the particular GS is to be used on trails, spoked wheels are a prerequisite. I would also highly recommend building a 21" front wheel, which significantly improves handling on rough terrain.
    --
    Ilya
  13. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    It would not be like MCN to make a mistake.:rofl
    I did not renew this year. :nod