weight of staintune?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JeffD, Nov 30, 2002.

1. JeffD

JeffD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how much the high mount Staintune system weighs including the cat replacement? I pulled the stock system off and it weighs 27-28 pounds via the old reliable bathroom scale. The cat was ~15. TIA jeff
  2. dapolrbear

dapolrbear Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope don't know how much the High mount Staintune weighs, I'm sure its hell of a lot lighter than the stock system. I have the Remus cat replacement and the high mount Ti can, very light.

BTW, welcome.
  3. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome, Jeff! This isn't exactly what you want, but it serves for comparison sake. My stock can was 12 lbs. (on my bathroom scale). The Remus Ti can I replaced it with weighed 6 lbs. - a savings of 50%. Not bad... Good luck with your conversion. When complete, can you please post your findings here? Thanks!

Marc
  4. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
  5. JeffD

JeffD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Arch, that is even better than I expected for weight savings. I agree that the low pipe does not look nearly as good. hopefully my pipes will be here on monday or tuesday. Jeff
  6. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    You'll be pleased, Jeff. It'll fit up nicely and the mellow sound fits the bike, if ya know what I mean. Enjoy!

:thumb

Arch
  7. JeffD

JeffD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arch, The UPS man came thru and delivered the 'tune. I put it on and everything fits great 'cept I don't like how close the O2 sensor is to the motor casting. It actually looks like it is resting on it. Did you have this problem or did it cause any problems for you? I have a very slight air leak somewhere that I can't seem to locate. I have not fired it up yet because it is late and my kids are in bed but when I pressurize the system the air slowly runs out but not so I can find it. I tried to get my wife to blow on the end of the pipe while I listened for the leak but that went over like... well lets just say she would not oblige. Thanks Jeff
  8. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Your O2 sensor shouldn't be contacting anything. Mine doesn't and I don't remember ever seeing this mentioned here or on the GS list, so something's up.

As for "pressurizing the system" to check for leaks, it's not possible. Remember you have exhaust valves at the hot end and it's not built to be airtight anyway. Take a system that's functioning just fine and cover the end while the engine's running ... and it's likely that at least some of the exhaust will find its way past otherwise functional slip joints & such.

Long story short, if your junctions are nice & clean (I tidy mine up with a Scotch-Brite pad.) and the clamps are properly positioned & snugged, it'll be fine - as myself and countless others have experienced.

Arch
  9. JeffD

JeffD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arch and others, so how much clearance do you have between your O2 sensor and the motor casting (I guess it would be the top of the oil sump)? No matter what I did I could not make it so the O2 sensor was not resting on top of the motor casting. I tried shiming up the bracket that conects to the center stand bracket but could get no more than maybe 1/32" of an inch at most. It seems that you should have at least 1/8-1/4 inch gap between the O2 sensor and the casting. Either the bung was rotated slightly when they welded it or the bracket is not exactly right. The good people at CBT volunteered to send a new one and have UPS pickup the old one. Thanks Jeff
    P.S. I fired it up and with the baffle in I was getting a little chirp but I pulled it out and man does it sound good.
  10. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    The sensor ends up about 1/8" above it, Jeff. Close, but no contact. Being solidly mounted, the exhaust won't be going anywhere, so if it's not touching, it's probably OK.

Arch