Weird Problem with Echo String Trimmer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Disston, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I call them Weed Whackers. Two stroke gasoline engine that you have to add oil to the gas. So it ran fine the first time I used it this year but the second time I started it up it wouldn't rev. Wouldn't go fast enough to over ride the clutch and then it would die. Figured it was the old gas from last year so go new gas. Added oil to gas. Dumped old gas in Echo. Then tried again. Still no go. So wasn't old gas. Set it aside, tried again a few days later. Searched for this problem on the net and found a You Tube that showed where the idle speed and mixture screws were but mine apparently, a newer model, has no idle speed or mixture screws. The carb is not adjustable. So played with starting it over and over then, all of a sudden, it started revving up fine. It started running well again.

So a carb that has no adjustment screws. Does it have diaphragms and one of these got a small bit of dirt in it? When the dirt got washed away it ran good again? Is this going to happen often? Is there anyway I can fix it faster the next time?
  2. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you check the the air filter to see if it's clogged with debris? Also, may want to see if the sparkplug is fouled from the old gas.
  3. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    When you put it away for the winter fill the tank with some alkylate petrol, Over here its sold as Aspen in both premixed 2 stroke and a straight petrol for 4 strokes.
    The crap fuel with ethanol in it will degrade in storage and cause running issues due to parts getting gummed up as the fuel absorbs atmospheric moisture.
    I'd guess the fresh fuel you added washed the gum out of the little passages in the carb and let it run freely again.
    Using pure fuel like alkylate will prevent the formation of deposits in the fuel system and keep it ready for use next season.
    darmst6829 likes this.
  4. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Yes I checked the airfilter. Weird little thing with a rubber edge I bet cost 5 times as much as a plain old paper one.

Here they sell a product called Stabil to put in gasoline being stored. I think I'll try that. gets good reviews.

I still have a bunch of bad old gas to get rid of. Think I'll try running some of it thru my Airhead?
  5. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same issue with an Echo Weed eater - (and a Pressure Washer, and a chain saw)..know better but forgot last fall. Ethanol gas supposedly has not only water but other chemicals that clog- up fuel injectors, had exactly the same issue with all these power tools. Solution, I knew but forgot, before putting power tools away for the winter run them til they run out of gas, and during use add stabilizer to the gas tank. Turning a weed eater, mower, etc upside down to drain gasoline does not get all the gas out, better to dump gas then run til it is out of gas to get everything out the fuel lines.

In all three tools the carborator/fuel injector had to be removed/cleaned and all gaskets replaced....my small tool mechanic suggest never to leave ethanol sitting in a power tool more than 30-60 days. I also only buy non-ethanol gasoline anymore.

And don't leave gas cans out doors - the screw on tops are not water tight will let water seep in to the gasoline. My $89 repair of the Chain saw was water in the gasoline.
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I don't have a source for non-ethanol gasoline. Will keep looking.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    can you buy a gallon of AVgas at your local General Aviation airport? If they cater to the airboat crew the line guys might pump you a gallon for your small engines.
    Beezer likes this.
  8. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I have an Echo backpack blower. Twice it's had similar issues. The first time it wouldn't take any throttle, but idles. Found debris in carb. The second time the spark arrestor screen was clogged.
    I also run mid grade gas without booze in it.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    +1 on avgas... that stuff lasts forever.

if I have to deal with one thats got a clogged carb I run Seafoam through it. taking those carbs apart always carries a risk of losing or damaging parts that you may not be able to replace
  10. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whisperquiet likes this.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in an area where logging is a predominant industry, thus many chainsaws run by pros. There is no pure gas or avn gas. They do the same thing any small engine knowledgeable person does here which is mix smaller amounts of ethanol so it stays fresh. I do one gallon at a time since ethanol came into play.
    I have learned over the years that mud daubers like to block any opening with their spider/mud stash and 2 cycle mufflers are one of their prime spots. BTW, they also love MC's!
    Run a wire or blow out the exhaust while also checking the spark arrestor if the engines been run enough to dirty that up.
    Eventually the diaphragms get wrinkly and need replaced which is accelerated by ethanol.
    I seriously doubt the gas "got old" if you just mixed it this spring. Either a passage is blocked or it lost spark?
    abramsgunner likes this.
  12. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lowes, Home Depot and many others sell it in cans, sort of expensive, but is higher octane and no ethanol, plus the cost of one service call offsets the costs.. I save the cans and use them to make my on mixture with stabilizer added.
  13. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Check the spark arrestor on the muffler that gets stopped up.Mine would not hit a lick cleaned the muffler and fired right up
  14. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
  15. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    There should be a small, cylindrical filter inside the fuel tank. If so, it will require replacement based on a time interval that should be evident in the Owner's Manual. The filter needn't look dirty to be operating at reduced effectiveness. Thus the necessity of time-based replacement. Some OEMs, like Stihl, refer to them as "fuel pickups".

It's a good idea to replace the fuel line(s) at the same time that the fuel filter is replaced.
  16. moymurfs

moymurfs Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Oddometer:
    Those little carbs do have thin diaphragms. Either a little crap or age and it starts failing. The little primer bulb will crack as well allowing air to stop the suction. You can't go wrong with TruFuel.
    Comes in 50:1 (red can) and 40:1 (green can).
  17. mode12

mode12 frageelay Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and grab a bottle of “mechanic in a bottle”. It’s saved me from stripping and cleaning carbs many times. Snow blower, old mower, crappy pit bikes, weed whip...

My stihl saw and blower just get the premixed little bottles of fuel (tru-fuel) from HD or Lowe’s. I use so little of it, peace of mind knowing it’ll just work and start when I need it to.
  18. JGNC

JGNC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since I have no source for ethanol free fuel I only run the canned stuff in my chainsaw. The blower and trimmer gets regular fuel but if I'm not going to run them for a while I'll run the canned stuff through them the last use or two.

All three are Echo and the trimmer is 6-7 years old with no maintenance other than a few air filters and spark plug.
  19. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah you do, Lowes and Home Depot both sell them. Darned expensive, but it's a viable end of season option.
    https://www.lowes.com/pl/Power-equipment-fuel-Outdoor-tools-equipment-Outdoors/4294612679

Otherwise, run it completely dry of gas before you put it away. That alone takes care of almost all the problems with 2-stroke carburetors & vacuum fuel pumps. Don't idle it to stall, run it full throttle, so you have the best chance of stripping all the liquid out.
    kantuckid likes this.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say your on borrowed time no matter what fuel you use. FWIW two-cycle oil IS! a fuel stabiliser on it's own but that doesn't mena the ethanol goes away either. Post #19 tells the story as it matters. Mix small quantities and use ethanol like pro's do.