Welcome to North Russia!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by IvanRUS, Feb 18, 2013.

1. wimj

wimj Wannabee adventurer

Oddometer:
    Translated into english:

"The 5 of us made a tour in Leningrad in a limo from Intourist. The female 'Dolmezista' explained everything to us in german."
  2. Finnswed

Finnswed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi i keep reading that umba is a closed city for foreigners these days is that true? Me and my friends are planning to take the offroad track from Umba north to Oktyabrsky and then up to Revda and later Murmansk. I don't like the idea off getting arrested for trespassing!
  3. IvanRUS

IvanRUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello! Umba, Varzuga, Teriberka - no problem! Now these are tourist centers.
  4. Finnswed

Finnswed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ivan, now i don't know who to belive. This sites says a foreigners can't go to umba http://www.kolatravel.com/umba.htm http://kandalaksha.su/category/south-kola/umba/ and Ministry for foreign affairs of Finland say's these sites on kola peninsula, Vidjajevo (Видяево), Gadžijevo (Гаджиево), Zaozjorsk (Заозёрск), Zaretšensk (Зареченск), Fiskarhalvön, Linhammar (Линахамари), Ostrovnoj (Островной), Poljarnyj (Полярный), Rajakoski (Раякоски), Rosljakovo (Росляково), Severomorsk (Североморск), Snezjnogorsk (Снежногорск), Gamla Salla (minnesmärke), Umba (Умба), Ura-Guba (Ура-Губа) is forbidden for foreigners to visit. Ivan do you have a source that says the opposite?
    EtronX likes this.
  5. AlpineGuerrilla

AlpineGuerrilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You asked Ivan, but maybe I can help as a foreigner, too. :) This is most likely just outdated, the information seems to be from 2007. I've been to Umba and the whole Tersky Coast in 2013 and the cops parked behind me with my foreign license plate visible at a local food store. No issues whatsoever.

Wikipedia has the following paragraph:
    Foreigner travel Some of the coastline near Umba is off limits to foreigners. Local police should be consulted for details. Visitors may stay in Umba itself or travel along the road that goes along the sea from Kandalaksha to Varzuga.​

If it's only certain parts, it's most likely indicated where not to go. The main town and the road leading through it are open to all. I say go for it.
  6. IvanRUS

IvanRUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, this is real Russia. Formally, the old rules are in force, but nobody observes them. The police do not control foreigners, this is the KGB case.
    luloadventure likes this.
  7. EtronX

EtronX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did most of Kola in 2013. We went North from Pechenga along the German Road to Rybachi island. As far North as you can go on the Kola peninsula. Then from Murmansk we went to Dalniye Zelentsy and back. A one day trip with great roads. Then we went from Murmansk to Revda. From Revda we followed an old railroad track along Umbozero to Kirovsk. Then from Kirovsk more or less straight down to Umba along some dirt roads. Some water crossings, but easy doable on a lighter bike.
    From Umba we followed along the shore of the White Sea to Varzuga and the Kuzomen desert. Then to Kandalaksha. From there we did some dirt roads towards Sosnovyy. At Sosnovyy we headed North into the woods to look for Karpolat Hill. It was a big batttle there in June 1944. The battle of Karpolat and Hasselmann. Nothing has been touched there so it is still as the two days in 1944.
    Then we headed down to Kalevala. From Kalevala to Kostomuksha, into Finland and home.

Great trip and no problems. When heading North to Rybachi we even ended up in a big military exercise. We stopped and chatted with a higher ranking officer and asked if it was OK to continue. The answer was: «Russia democratic. Nje prablema» :-)

I can highly reccomend to travel in these areas. Great and friendly people.

One more cool thing. Not far from Kirovsk there are two abandoned airfiels from the old Soviet area. Both are accessable by motorcycle. The first one is East of Kirovsk along Umbozero. The other one is basically straight South from the first one on the dirt track that goes towards Umba. You will find both on Google Earth.

Sent from my Commodore 64
  8. jesperd

jesperd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be riding to Murmansk via Kostomuksha, Kalevala and Kandalaksha (entering from Finland at the Vartius border crossing) from August 20th to 24th-ish 2019. Leaving into Norway at Storskog/Kirkenes. I am planning on hard packed gravel (at least the google car appear to have been there for the most part) and paved roads. This will be my first time to Russia, so I'm super excited. If anyone's in the area is up for a beer, it's on me.
    I think I read something about a motorcycle friendly hotel or something in Murmansk, anyone know anything abut that?
    EtronX likes this.
  9. IvanRUS

IvanRUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    euskalherria likes this.
  10. jesperd

jesperd Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. IvanRUS

IvanRUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, of course! This is an expensive hotel in the heart of the city. They have their own closed parking.
    EtronX likes this.
  12. EtronX

EtronX Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you have time I would recommend taking the detour out to Varzuga. It is a nice trip along the White Sea.
    jesperd likes this.
  13. novack

novack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the most expensive hotel in the city I think.
    They serve excellent breakfast there. I like to stay there, to sit in the lobby in dirty gear and look at classy girls. :)

I'd recommend to to take a trip to Dalnie Zelentsy. It's magnificent place and it's not far from Murmansk - about 300km there and back. Be aware that there are no petrol stations to east of the Murmansk on that road. Last part of the road is little bit hard though but still enjoyable.
  14. IvanRUS

IvanRUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Dalnie (Far) Zelentsy is a very beautiful place. But due to the militarization of the Arctic there is a military unit operating there, it is not desirable to drive into the village.
    In July 5-7, in the settlement of Teriberka there will be the next motofest “Motobuchta”.
    Wellcome!
    [​IMG]
  15. novack

novack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    А что насчёт дайверской базы? Работает?
  16. IvanRUS

IvanRUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Работает разумеется, у нас только царь и бояре дурью маются :)
    http://dztour.ru/
  17. novack

novack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ну и славно. Надо прокатиться, значить. Банька там хорошая.
  18. vanseagal

vanseagal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IvanRUS do have any advice for Khibiny mountains. Me and my friend are driving from St.Petersburg to Murmansk in the middle of next june. We would like to see the mountains and maybe camp there. I see that there is road to Kuelporr and by looking pictures of that area, we want to go there.

We will spend two days at Murmansk. Is
    there any nice biker/rock bar in the city center.
  19. novack

novack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The road to Kuelporr could be challenging in the middle of June.
    Part of that road is actually a riverbed. There could be too much water there at that time. It depends on the amount of snow in winter and weather in spring of course.
    It is better to get there int the end of July or first part of August.
  20. jesperd

jesperd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hahaha. I guess that settles it. Looks like I need a hotel reservation to get a tourist visa, so this might be it.