Well Honey it was on sale!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Greg Minor, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I've been shopping a bit. I got all this cool stuff for my bike for my ride to Idaho but I have no bike to put it on yet. My water pump parts just came in today with luck I should have my bike back this weekend and I can start putting these on. I also found some Michelin Bajas knobbies @ cycle gear so my stock wheel will get them. I will have a good set of knobbies for the Big Cat. Its really almost like cheating having a support vehicle (my wife in her truck) to carry extra parts. All I had to do to get her to suffer through a motorcycle vacation was promise her two days shopping in Monterey while I'm at Laguna Seca. Who do you think will end up spending more $

Attached Files:

2. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Nice score, Greg! So, you told your wife that this stuff was "on sale"!?

Did the fender kit come with English instructions? Last I heard, they were being translated from German.
  3. Motobrandt

Motobrandt Free Opinions Here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah nice one! :evil

By the way. WHat are instructions? :huh :dunno
  4. SMAC

SMAC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greg,

Love the rims, what tyres are fitted to them ?
    They are exactly what I'm after.

Smac
  5. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Those Michelin Anakees do look really good'n promising Greg! :thumb

Please post some pictures when you've put these hoops in! :nod
  6. SMAC

SMAC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTMax,
    Do you know if they come in 18 /21 sizes ?
    Have you tried anything other than the standard Scorpians ? as your probably doing similar riding to me.

My front tyre has really gone off, deep cracks all over the sidewalls and between the tread. Seemingly they're made in Brasil, while the rears are made in Germany.No problem at all with the rear.

Cheers
    Smac
  7. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Aaarrgghh... DON't mention tires for the 950 to me ever again!! My eyes bulge and my mouth starts foaming. I go nuts from these silly rim sizes on our pride'n joy... :lol3

Seriously, not in 18" but there is a 90/90-21" Anakee for the front. But it's H rated up to 210 KM/h or 130 MPH. No a big problem for me as the 950 is only a little faster and I rarely go that fast anyway. For me a twisty road and some serious corner scuffing instead please... :wink:

A few days ago I've put on an H rated Metzeler Tourance front. Looks and feels promising for road use. Large and low treadblocks at the edges where the stock Scorpion starts squirming around on its small and flexi knobbies. Nothing but rain and thunderstorms here the last couple of days so no ride report yet. Pics and report will follow soon.

Yesterday I've ordered yet another tire experiment for my mates' 950. Avon Venom AM41 & 42. I have spoken with Avon UK and the rear size for the 950 is not listed on their website yet but it is available from this week. Although listed under the "Cruiser & Touring" category they are supposed to be pretty sticky still. "Don't be fooled, they outgrip any DS tire for sure" according to Avon.

Attached Files:

8. SMAC

SMAC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just been round the tyre shops. Not a matching pair of anything available ! Had to order Bridgestone BT45/54. Pirrelli's on a long leadtime and after the front all cracking I want something different.
    Never tried Bridgestones on anything. I'll let you know how they feel on the road.

Smac
  9. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Yup all in German but there are pictures and its pretty straight forward I have yet to install it as I'm going to do the wheels first to make sure that they work well I like to only do one change at a time
  10. KTMax

Oddometer:
    SMAC, do yourself a big favor and cancel that BT54 rear. It's a disaster. A tire designed when Loch Ness filled up with water and made from Tupperware plastic. :puke2

The BT45 is excellent though. :thumb Have you checked the Avons? They can be ordered now. Really! Especially in the UK/Scotland. The rear was already in the Avon catalog & price list at my dealer.

BTW, have you checked the availability for a rear Scorpion as a KTM part. through you KTM dealer? Could be a good alternative route for price and availability.
  11. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    I actually do a lot of dirt riding but I really enjoy the pavement too. These are my summer(pretty soon it will be to hot to do much offraod in my favorite riding areas) wheels as I run knobbies for offroad and they wear to fast and I have to go slower on the pavement. I'm riding to Idaho for the Big Cat and I did not want to A have to compromise my riding on the bitchen roads I will be taking or B wear out my tires and have to change them when I get there so I talked my wife into driving up in the truck with my other wheels and offroad gear in the truck. We are going to Laguna Seca first then to lake Tahoe for a couple days and on to McCall for the Big Cat
  12. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greg, guess I missed your reason for the water pump rebuild. Did the impeller come off the end of the shaft ?

Goss
  13. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    No my fluid was just real black I. I took my bike into get an oil leak at the cam tensioner fixed and we noticed the fluid was dark KTM told the dealer to rebuild the water pump and he said the impeller "was just flopping around in there" so the rebuilt the whole thing
  14. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been running Avon Venom X on my Indian Scout (on my third set). They are made for heavy cruisers and last about 12K miles because they are a harder rubber compound. Personally I don't think they will grip as well as the stock tires on the 950.

15. Bravo100

Bravo100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greg
    What does the high fender kit include? Fender, Fork Protectors, Brake Line, anything else? Did you get this kit from Touratech?
    Thanks,
  16. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    yep its got all that stuff and yes I got it from tourtech I just got my bike out of the shop today I'm going to ride the shit out of this weekend and put the new parts on this week I will report back as I proceed by the way the color is a good match but no metalflake
  17. KTMax

Oddometer:
    The 150 sitting at my dealer has a pretty good thumbnail feel but you could be right. We'll see. Can't be as bad as a BT54 I had on my Hawk 647. :eek1