Wellington Adventure Rideouts

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys - Bill, Wayne and Steve? had good weather over in the Wairarapa and some fun - thanks for posting Wayne - Looking forward to Steve's update to this or his threads - catch you next time - thinking maybe an over nighter to somewhere with lots of gravel?
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    trap door?.......I thought ya got in from the top
    Manakau.KTM and Oaters like this.
  3. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Still, he's having a better day than this guy......
  4. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    bahaaaaaaa crack up :imaposer
  5. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes Stephen it was Bill, Steve and I. Weather was clear but a bit fresh later in the day. While we wait for the official report to be compiled and published, this is another photo from today.

[​IMG]
    Te Hopo, Oaters and Night Falcon like this.
  6. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. I’m liking that number 31. :evil
    Oaters likes this.
  7. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a fairly unflattering angle....
    Oaters likes this.
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    BMWOR run thru Summerhill & Admirals Rd 17/7/16:

Given all the anguish about the weather in the lead up to this ride, the weather was surprisingly civilised. There had been all sorts of warning about potential cancellations due to an expected ‘Tempest’. This was fully supported by the weather forecasters, who I have noticed have become very conservative – almost the weather equivalents of ‘Repent, the Apocalype is nigh’.

I like Hubert Kriegels statement & acceptance – ‘if it rains - I get wet’. I was actually really looking forward to a wet muddy ride - on a chair it's harder (but not impossible) to fall off...

So prepared for the worst, but expecting better, I met with Wayne at Caltex Rimuatakas at the very civilised hr of 10.00 am. No sign of any BMWOR rider prepared to embrace the dirty end of the spectrum, though a few oil & water head GSs did waft past just as we were about to leave.

The voices in my head are having an ELO revival at present. So just as a scene setter here's a soundtrack for this ride (at least this is what was running thru my head, anyway...).

Wayne decided the KTM needed to taunt a Merc, so left me behind before we hit the Rimutakas – but then he has experience with the sidecar buggering solo flow on left handers before, so... I have to say the Rimutakas is brutal on this chair. Fun though. Probably good for building inner thigh & upper body strength & fitness.

Coffee & scones at Martinborough at the Village Cafe, as we were 20 mins early at the scheduled meeting point. Really, that’s the way that civilised runs should be managed. We were on a BMWOR run, & so we had standards to maintain. Bill managed to find us there. He was mounted on his very nice R60 ISDT replica. Sounds gorgeous. Unfortunately the other BMW owners didn’t manage to find us. Not to worry. We’ll see them at the Pub.

I let Wayne & Bill lead out Hinakura Rd. Best not to startle them with the outstanding handling prowess of the sidecar on seal. A wee regroup at the intersection of Hinkura & Moeraki Rds. Not that we got separated at all... I was surprised to find out that Wayne hadn’t ever been out to this piece of the Wairarapa. We’ll have to organise another ride to allow him to explore the Wairarapa coast.

[​IMG]

The start of the gravel. I demurred on leading from here, but couldn’t resist from the gate at Ngakouri Rd.

[​IMG]

Probably frightened the stock. But at least that got me far enough ahead to be able to take some photos as the guys came through. Now I know how Bart feels. At least parts of the road are slow enough that my camera can keep up.

[​IMG]

The road was in excellent condition. If anything, the road was too well swept. Instead of being able slide, I was getting too much grip on some of the corners.

Got a couple of rain splats here, that might have been melted hail. But that was our lot for the day. No wind. ‘Tempest’. Hmmm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bill

After the Summerhill Rd gate, I nearly missed a corner when I realised that Bill was right behind me & was giving chase.

Later, coming down downhill thru some coarse gravel, the bike started to run onto one cylinder. I thought it might just be a bit of crap in the fuel, & was sure it’d just blow thru. After all, Airheads just don’t break down. They have a quality reputation to uphold. But about a km down the road, it hadn’t resolved it's self. So I thought I’d better stop, & speak sternly to the bike about it’s behaviour. It quickly became apparent that the bike was pissing petrol, & that something was missing from the bottom of the carb. I must have hooked the float bowl clip with the bottom clip of my boots, & that’d dropped the float bowl – a km up the road. I turned off the fuel & waited for Wayne & Bill to catch up. Oh the ignominy...

Fortunately, Wayne was able to pillion me back up the road. I must congratulate Wayne. I am a very reluctant pillion (I’ve been terrorized by a prior experience with a former KLR owner). He was very calm & accomodating.

We found the float bowl sitting sweetly on the left hand track of the road, back where things started running rough.

Back to the Chair. Fortunately the gasket was hanging on the clip, so we had all the bits to reassemble things. But I still had issues with gas leaking, so popped the chair up onto the right cylinder to check what was going on. This apparently created a great photo opportunity (too good for Wayne to miss) of Steve’s arse pointing out from underneath the chair. Well how else are you supposed to fix these things? Seems to me that popping the chair in the air is only logical. Seemed to amuse Bill no end though. Apparently Urals don't do that.

[​IMG]
    Not very flattering...

[​IMG]
    By the end of the ride Bill & Wayne seemed to have hit it off well. Holding hands seemed a trifle excessive on a first date though...

Relatively uneventful ride down to Gladstone Pub. Still missing the phantom BMWOR, but that’s all to the good – the pub was fairly busy.

In keeping with Oater’s original plans, we then did the whole thing in reverse.

At the beginning of that run, nearly had a side swipe with a Dodge Journey on a particularly narrow piece of road. She didn’t slow down, & didn’t move to give me any room. I was already across as far as I could be, on the left of the road. I reckon she missed having a stripe from a BMW cylinder by about a cm. Honestly thought I was history.

Polite people don’t talk about the emergency defecation situation...

Funny how the return run always seems to take less apparent time. Didn’t get to go out to the coast because time was moving on, & the day was cooling. Back to Martinborough, fueled up (still getting used to the little tank on the chair), then over the hill (a bit busier), & back to Wgtn. Arrived home just on dark. To find out that the run had been cancelled.
    Te Hopo, wairau, dazzadm and 4 others like this.
  9. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Great report Steve - glad you, Bill & Wayne enjoyed your ride - I was dismayed not to be able to join you all due to the arrival of a new grandchild in our extended whanau - next time . And 'yes.... I accept it was moi who had said the gravel ride would only be cancelled if there was a 'Tempest'" - as for the formal BMWOR monthly ride which this gravel ride was to have run alongside - it ended up being cancelled as only 3 members had expressed an interest - sad. My view, and I accept I'm 'one eyed'; is that if you have a GS you're willing to get wet and dirty - similar sentiment to your French friend Hubert K.
    Te Hopo and Box'a'bits like this.
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    No issues Stephen. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The report was written with tongue firmly in cheek...
  11. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Top notch report as usual Steve. I really enjoyed that ride and was surprised at the scale of the landscape out there. Bill has all that on his doorstep.

I've not seen that party trick of lifting the chair like that before. It was certainly clever of BMW to put a cylinder on the other side as a prop for it. German engineering.

I finally got through the Akatarawas just on dark and with the wood burner smoke hanging in the air it was bone chillingly cold.
    Te Hopo, Box'a'bits and Oaters like this.
  12. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Nice work Steve, we'll have to get the crew together for some exploration, pies, caffine, pies, and general banter some time soon, been too long.
    Box'a'bits and Manakau.KTM like this.
  13. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Oh Betty..." I'll say no more.

Great ride report. Enjoyed the "scene setting".

Are you sure the "Tempest" on the road wasn't the source of the "rain splats"?:topes
    Night Falcon likes this.
  14. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    "I am a very reluctant pillion (I’ve been terrorized by a prior experience with a former KLR owner)."

my plan worked though - you declined my offer of a lift over the rimutuka's
    pillion footpegs are for pussies
  15. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! Thought i'd drop in a quick Q here for anyone willing to answer :)

New to ADV Riding, been riding the road for many years however, and looking at taking on some stuff down south later this year...

In preparation I would really like to get some practice in on a few decent gravel roads around the Wellington region.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions on a nice newbie-friendly ride within a day of the City?

Thanks!

--
    Thomas
    frotz likes this.
  16. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Thomas - the most recent ride on this thread - from Hinakura (out from Martinborough) to Admiral Road (comes out at Gladstone) (or done in reverse - its about 20 - 30km of gravel) would fulfill your requirements perfectly in my view.

What are you riding? Cheers Oaters aka Stephen O
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  17. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    Nice, I had a quick look on google maps and that looks quite doable! Looks like I could pretty much follow my nose out those parts and find something fun to do

DL1000 currently :)

Thanks for the advice!
    Oaters likes this.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Jeff, have a look over here. GPS tracks on some good rides. You'll need to join the site to gain (free) access.
    Oaters likes this.
  19. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    Awesome, checking it out now, Thanks!
  20. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not knowing too much about BMWs, what is number 31? I must say it looks smart!