Wellington Adventure Rideouts

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Dec 31, 2011.

1. frotz

frotz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    young1 likes this.
  2. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Looks good, the 5L might be a winner

unless i'm missing something tho it's free shipping for 1 unit (but takes 14-25 days) or for 2+ units it's US $71.96+++ with a shipping time of 11-19 days?

nothing on trademe either, could be a good import opportunity :)
  3. chrome22

chrome22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shipping is free.
    So that's about 45 bucks landed. In going to get one in and see if it's any good. I will build my racks to suit it
  4. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    yeah that's what I thought, i'll get one too - should just strop on somewhere I suspect :)
    milknosugar likes this.
  5. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    shipping was about aud$120 for my 690 tank.

dont forget you can take aussie gst off the prices on the safari website
  6. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    good spoting.....

Thinking of going back to the steel tank on the XT660...
    and carry extra fuel in the sidecar when needed... The
    5L would be perfect....

7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my xt660z tank for $250 from the UK. Then paid $300 in shipping to get it here. Still, cheaper than a new one.
  8. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    showed my buddy with the scrambler those today, he's gonna order one. The 5l is a handy size at 250x210x120mm to fit on the back of ya bike, unlike the rotopax one (6l) which is wider at 355x380x89. If they're any good he might get a couple of 10litrs for his jet boat.
  9. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    Had a 3 am call out so just getting some sleep now, might try and catch up with you guys later on :)
  10. frotz

frotz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just discovered a mechanical problem. Might catch up in Martinborough (which cafe?)
  11. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Village Cafe, at Martinborough.
  12. frotz

frotz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not going to make it. Next time!
  13. chrome22

chrome22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope you guys had a safe trip.
    Great weather after my epic fail.
    Took my wee boy out on his quad in the mud so my day was not lost.
    Tried another of those tires. They are super tight and edging the bead on the last little bit stretches trying to get it over.
    Got another type out if the pile and it went straight on.
    I even managed a quick blast out to wainui coast afterwards.
  14. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for organizing the route for today Steve. A great day out. Got home just on dark. Cold.

Here's my usual teaser ahead of the official RR:

[​IMG]

Is a 'No Exit' sign a suggestion or a challenge?
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    HOMEWOOD & PACKSPUR RD - 21st Aug 16
    The 1st ride in an age that I’ve advertised & thrown open to anyone to come along. The ride came about because Jeff Sichoe had started looking for ADVrides, & this was next on his list, but his timing was off for me (mid week). I’d originally planned to do a pre run for him.

It seemed to generate good levels of interest, but come the ride time we had a high attrition rate. 1x mechanical issue; 1x tyre issue (fell off); 1x 3.00am call out.

The tyre issue was interesting. Yiangquing tyre (or something – no I’d never heard of it either), difficult to wrestle onto the rim, & I assume the bead broke. So the tyre was ½ off the rim....I wonder if that tyre is legal (DoT rated?).

Okay, so a theme for the ride. I’ve been watching the Matrix again.

The starters were: Me - R80(ish) sidecar, Wayne - 950SMR, Paul - 1090 Adv, Mario - R1200GS, & Cory – DR650.

The big boys loped off across the hill. Cory & I took things at a more modest pace. Re group in Martinborough.

By now, in comparison to the big boys, I was feeling small – inadequate you could say. I wasn’t confident I was big enough or had enough in the tank to do the job planned. I didn't want to ask for outside assistance. So I topped up in Martinborough.

[​IMG]
    Paul, Wayne, & Mario

Coffee and a herb & cheese scone at the Village Cafe, & a chinwag.

Then everyone got to follow the sidecar for the most of the rest of the day, because no one else knew where we were going. Think of it as speed regulation. We wouldn’t want anyone speeding on those country road.

Homewood Rd was in good nick. Some one else had been thru shortly before us. The gravel was still damp on the skids.

[​IMG]
    Paul

[​IMG]
    Corey

We were going to attempt Fernglen Rd. Some maps show that accessible thru to Masterton / Stronvar. But apparently the forestry has shut down road access (dumped spoil across the road) so we turned around after a chat with a local shepherd.

Lunch at Riversdale. Perhaps we should have kept going to the Tinui Cafe & Bar after all. Pretty basic. Pretty place, biggish surf, & someone was getting set for a swim. Must be Global warming.

[​IMG]

Flipped across to Tinui.

Tinui Valley Rd & Te Mai Rd are currently quite corrugated from the logging trucks going thru there. Must be why my tail light decided to quit.

[​IMG]

Packspur Rd is a road/track linking Te Mai Rd & Mataikona. This was upgraded as a back door entry a year or so ago, given access to Matikona was threatened with slips on the road in from Castlepoint. From Te Mai Rd it initially it runs up a hill country air strip. Because the strip is blind heading uphill, you need to be careful to stick on or close to the track – in case a top dressing plane is taking off. The views from the top of the strip are impressive.

[​IMG]

The run down to Mataikona is a gravelled farm track initially, then a bulldozed track thru the forestry. Quite steep. Maybe messes with your head if you are on road tyres. Pine needles over grit, over clay. Dunno. Once you are ½ way down, you are pretty stuffed for choices. No issues on a sidecar though...

The bottom has a couple of small fords, & once you reach the formed road, there is another ford (next to a bridge) to play in. Cory got part way down that, & was going to chicken out. But he had a sidecar behind him, so had to go thru with it.

Out to Castlepoint, just so I could do some more donuts in the sand. Very photogenic out in the lagoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I was only able to get $1.89 of fuel from the pump at the Whakataki Hotel (or I could have stood there forever while free fuel dribbled out of the pump at the rate of 20mls per minute). I think it was out of fuel, & so was I.

Fortunately there was more left in the tank in the duel reserves than I had thought - and Cory & Wayne very kindly made sure I wasn’t left empty on the side of the road.

Wayne headed home via the Pahiatua track. Cory & I did the trudge back down SH2 to home. Have to say that by the time I made it home I’d had my fill of the sidecar – great in the gravel, but it just beats you up on the Rimutakas & the long haul seal.

Maybe time to brush the cobwebs off Gus. Or not.
    young1, innathyzit, bart-nz and 3 others like this.
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome Steve, was telling someone about my last visit to castle point the other day (it must of been over 5yrs ago), have to get down there again over summer.
  17. Jeff Sichoe

Oddometer:
    damn I may have earned a little extra cash but looking at those photos I think I got the bum end of the deal

looks like a real good day guys! :)
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Maybe plan your lunch break for the Tinui Cafe & Bar (or bring sarnies). Riversdale deteriorates a little more every time I go there.
  19. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't come across hamburger buns with that much gluten for a long time.
  20. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Glad you lads had a great ride - those that made it that is - took Mrs Oaters for some much needed R&R to South Taranaki - tasty looking Katoom and R12GS two of you have - I haven't done Pack Spur in a long time - last time I did it was on a ride led by Junkman Joe and the descent to Matakonia was very slippery - would have been challenging on the bigger bikes :) - next time