Wellington Adventure Rideouts

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    WHITE ROCK & TORA - 2nd Oct 16
    The weather forecasters had been flip flopping on this one. A bloody big front coming across from Australia, after causing havoc over there.

On Saturday I’d been in Motomart (to get fuel line for Gus) & toyed with the idea of getting new wet weather gear. In the end I flagged it. After all, we’re heading into summer aren’t we? Of course after a decision like that, it was sheeting rain 1st thing Sunday morning.

There’d been good interest in the ride – but I wasn’t certain how many would brave the conditions. As it happens, the ride contingent were Stuart Swan KTM990A, Chrome22 (Stu) KLX250, Jeff Sichoe (Thomas) Vstrom 1000, Oaters (Stephen) R1200GS, Ian Cook TDM850, & me on my R80 sidecar.

Here’s a scene setter for the day.

Once we cleared the Rimutakas, the day started to improve. By Martinborough the wets were starting to get too warm. No herb & cheese scones, so had to make do with a poppy seed & lemon muffin. And a Latte, albeit that my first was stolen. By the Hau Nui wind farm it seemed evident the day was going to stay nice.

[​IMG]

I‘d foolishly told Stuart Swan that he’d never stay with me once we hit gravel, so of course he felt obligated to do so. And surprisingly dragged Chrome22 (Stu) & Ian with him.

[​IMG]

Lunch at White Rock (anyone know what the white rock is?), then down to Ngapotiki Station gates, followed by a play in the little stream fords.

[​IMG]
    Ian Cook

[​IMG]
    Stu (Chrome22)

[​IMG]
    Jeff Sichoe (Thomas)

[​IMG]
    Stuart Swan

At the Tuturumuri intersection we waved off Chrome22 (Stu) & Jeff Sichoe (Thomas), then we beatled off to Tora.

[​IMG]
    Ian Cook

[​IMG]

Lost Oaters there, while Ian, Stuart & I took in a quick tour down to Te Awaiti Station. Never been down that road. Very scenic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick squirt back to Martinborough, then across the Rimutaka’s. Had a wee dice with a girl in a Corolla who was determined to unpass herself from the sidecar. Fortunately I had the better line. Was a crack up.

Home just after 5.00pm, feeling like I’ve done a few rounds with Joseph Parker.

I may have to do a realignment on the sidecar. I can see the top front mount has moved. I've been too strenuous on the tight right handers I guess.
    Watercat, Te Hopo, young1 and 4 others like this.
  2. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

Man, what an awesome day.

The rain turned out to be a bit of a dud which was good - however it did mean that I think we all overdressed...

The tarmac, as usual, was a laugh. Will need to take Keri out these ways for a Picnic sometime :)

Hitting that first slippery bit of gravel, one again, made me shit myself. Bettereer tyres required!

Once I got my groove on, I was ok, confident even, then i'd hit a 'uh-oh' moment and dial it back for a bit.

Almost lost it 2 times;
    1st was on the last set of corrugations before the beach. Combination of lackluster forks and too much speed meant I almost washed out. Somehow held on :)

2nd was in the bigger of the (small) water crossings - hit it hard and must have mushed into a pile of cow shit or something because the front slipped out to the right, but managed to strong arm it back to true. Very 50/50 either way! :)

On the way back to the road I found the left hand turns much easier than the right? not sure what that was about but tried to weight the inside peg and tip the bike as advised, but with no feedback from the front I felt like I was on the wire walk at times.

Thanks to all for your advice and wisdom and especially thanks to Oaters and Ian for slowing up enough that I could see how a seasoned pro goes to work.

Ready for another mission!

[​IMG]
    Te Hopo, EVLED, Oaters and 1 other person like this.
  3. chrome22

chrome22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to admit that after that rude Iv been seriously contemplating a drz400e
    The hills and wind slow me up a lot.
    A few more ponys might be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Te Hopo likes this.
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    You weren't slow in the gravel. Sometimes a lighter bike has advantages.
  5. chrome22

chrome22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to admit I could have gone faster.
    It's the road there and back that felt like I could have used more tho.
    Was a good ride back but the wind and hills slowed me up. I have good corner speed.
    Hmmm
    No rush. Just a thought

6. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Allow for a secret fund Mrs Chrome doesn't know about for a wide ratio gearbox conversion within a year.........
    bart-nz and chrome22 like this.
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Think of it this way. I have more fun pushing a slow bike to its limits, than on a fast bike going nowhere near it's limits, but completely eclipsing mine. Hence the Sidecar & the GS.

Also I get to keep my licence intact, which is handy...
  8. chrome22

chrome22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a very good point.
    Maybe then I need a secret second bike Fund ha ha.
    I like that side car. It's certainly a cool mode of transport. Reminds me of going to watch speedway as a wee one

Box'a'bits likes this.
  9. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    George & Mildred have left an indelible impression of the sidecar that will forever remain in my psyche.....whether that's good or bad is for others to decide
    John C likes this.
  10. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From high up on the Gentle Annie, Mangaohane Rd leads Southwest back towards Utiku. I decided to ride this today and try to keep away from SH1 as I headed South towards home. After petrol and a pie in Taihape, I turned on the tracking thing on my phone.

[​IMG]

This is the view just after leaving the Taihape to Napier road. The road descends quickly down to the valley below. The road is a bit corrugated at the moment but is generally an easy ride. No dust.

[​IMG]

I didn't see any udders or horns.

[​IMG]

The road winds through open farmland.

[​IMG]

The Rangitikei River

[​IMG]

Every view seems to be big and yet I struggle to capture that feeling with my cell phone.

[​IMG]

After reaching Utiku and turning down Gorge Rd the landscape becomes more dramatic.

[​IMG]

I managed to get this far by winging it and then finally had to get my specs out to see where the hell I was.

[​IMG]
    Mc107, Watercat, Underground and 6 others like this.
  11. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    That is a nice diversion of the main drag. I seem to recall getting lost around there myself, ended up at a giant swing in one of the gorges and not being able to find Colensos memorial
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You needed to carry on to the end of the road past the swing to get to the Colenso memorial.

Manukau.KTM, If I'd been around I would have been up to show you round the back yard. Fortunately, I'm on Pitt Island at the moment doing some work down here. Missing the motor bike, but gorging myself on crayfish and paua... 20161015_183631.jpg
    innathyzit, Te Hopo and Manakau.KTM like this.
  13. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hardcase

We rode that loop yesterday in reverse starting from the Ashurst area.......
    Road sign stated the Mangaweka Bridge closed but we were turning East before that anyways..
    Ended up looking into that same pool near Gravity Canyon before fuel at the BP Gumboot
    A Trout of 2 spied downstream ( 1.30ish......)
    Also road was very quiet except the odd Angus Bull and Chooks....................
    Back to the Bay via GentleAnnie

Gazz
  14. chrome22

chrome22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder what the weather may bring this weekend.
    Time for another squirt over to the wairarapa

Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  15. chrome22

chrome22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well Monday weather is meant to turn so I'm off tomorrow morn. Will go early and I don't know where I'm goin so if ya see me rolling past give me a wave

16. chrome22

chrome22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride. Bumped into a few chaps at the cafe on the way out.
    Made it to the gravel road out tora and gave my buddy the option of carrying on turning back. He was riding a ktm200 duke and it was going great until a loose spot and a tad enthusiastic throttle spun him off.
    Bike spun and dropped onto the left hand side and broke off the gearchange and linkage setup.
    Hmmm . Convinced him to try and pick a gear and run with it till we hit a farm house.
    We got her running and ambled up the road to a lodge on tora road. Borrowed their telephone and called for help. We made the decision to ride as far as we could and ended up in Martin borough at the gas station.
    I was almost dry.
    We called in the trailer and found he was still in Upper Hutt, Bugger it lets ride all the way.
    We set the gearing in 4th and off we went.
    No troubles on the way home, just a little slow..
    gotta say the shinkos are doing well, I'm finding them to be a great tire on the lightweight bike.
    Good day we had but jeez it's goi g to cost my buddy some dollars to get back on the road.

Jeff Sichoe, bart-nz and innathyzit like this.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any one planning to ride the Wairarapa tomorrow afternoon? I have to be in Wellington tomorrow around noon, so am planning to ride back to Taihape through the alternate route...
  18. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I'd like to be but its unlikely.........
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Mrs Box'a'bits tells me she has plans for this weekend...
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh well, I guess we all have to do the dishes some day:thumb

Admirals road, here I come...
    Oaters likes this.