Wellington Adventure Rideouts

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:

be nice - you know how some of these seniors are technically challenged
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talking of seniors riding....been some changes since then.
    Mark_S likes this.
  3. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Patience Grasshopper, your time is nigh.
  4. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Just a few
    and still a few more to go

Sigh

Aint that the truth :waysad
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Ride on this Sunday 18th June to Sutherlands Hut (in Aorangi Forest Park). There is about 6 stream crossings, & you will need appropriate adventure tyres. Bring lunch. Leave Caltex Rimutaka at 9am. Let me know if keen.

[​IMG]
  6. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Steve. Time I got out on the old KoMpacTor again. Off to Moore Wilson's for some smelly cheese then.
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  7. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Damn, keen, but working + the old girl needs some clutch work - looking forward to the photos already!
  8. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    Weather is looking good Steve. About to pack dry socks and shopping bags.
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Rebuilt Gus's carbs, fitted, & test rode them today. Thought they'd be better than the sidecar carbs for fording depth. Nope. Haven't resolved their issues, which has to be in the body. So back to square one.

Should be a good day...
  10. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Those of us without running adv bikes unselfishly hope you have a great ride

Hopefully you get less fog than I found in the 'rapa today
  11. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    A few spoiler photos from today's ride to Sutherland's Hut:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    moto74, Mc107, Te Hopo and 2 others like this.
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    No photos are spoilers. I was there in spirit today. We had other missions on the plans.... hope you guys had fun
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Team Building...

[​IMG]
    Jeff Sichoe, Mc107 and Muzz67 like this.
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Team building at Sutherlands Hut - Sunday 18th June:
    Helpful when the few days running up to a ride are dry. Especially when there are a few stream crossings involved. This ride was scheduled to visit Sutherlands Hutt, in the heart of the Aorangi Forest Park.

Sunday morning was cold & fine. I currently have non-operational heated grips, so out with the winter gloves. I dressed in Merino layers – but wondered if I should take the bigger bags – because you always need to strip off in there.

Always a lottery in terms of who turns up, the level of their riding skills, & the equipment they bring with them. Loads of big GSs at Caltex Rimutaka, mostly with roady adv tyres. Which was concerning because this ride had also been advertised in the Motomart emailing lists. Fortunately we were mixed in with the BMWOR, & they were off to Woodville for coffees, not Sutherland for mud.

This trip we had team of nine: Bassman (Triumph XC800); C650 (DR650); Simon H (DR650); Mario (R1200GS); Viferman (F800GS); MD (BMW Bitsa); Bill (Husky TE630); Manakau KTM (KTM640E); & me - Box’a’bits (R100GS). We also had a chap who rode with us to the Aorangi Forest carpark (on a R1200GSW), who’s name escapes me (sorry).

It was mostly clear across the hill, but misty on the road to Martinborough. I thought I was history when a white or grey Ute at a cross intersection that I couldn’t really see decided the 1st two bikes were clear & he could proceed now.

Martinborough was fine, & by the time we’d coffees & food inside us, the mist was lifting.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Mario

Haurangi Road was as grippy as I’ve ever seen it. There were a few erosion ruts just before the carpark however.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Carpark. Courtesy of Viferpilot

The first challenge was the big mud pool at the track entrance. The left side was definitely the better line. The right went deep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The track down to the first stream crossing had more erosion ruts & mud than I recall seeing before. The gate part way down was MIA.

[​IMG]

Stream crossings were low, but the 4th crossing caused the most issues (as usual), with a few mid creek boulders causing unexpected lines, & generally slowing people. That meant the steep exit caught out the unprepared. Adventure riding has always been a confidence trick. Unfortunately MD had a fall there, which probably left a mark. And Mario & Bassman struggled for grip part way up, which meant that all hands were needed to help them finish the climb. Good job Bill had a rope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the last stream crossing there was some more mud & slippery grass to deal with.

[​IMG]

The destination (Sutherlands Hut) always feels slight anti-climatic. Cnut Hill was discussed but I didn’t see any willing victims.

[​IMG]
    Sutherlands Hutt Courtesy of Viferpilot

The GPS tells me it's 5.5kms from the carpark to the hut. I don't want to tell you how long that took us...but we lunched there.

Mario had an electrical issue on the R1200 on the way out. Fortunately this was something that Bill had seen before, & he was able to suggest a quick fix.

The ride out was faster, the stream crossings went smoothly (no difficult stream exits), & the long run back up to the carpark seemed easier than coming in. Mostly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just as I was about to leave a Sherco 450 pulled up. Had seen the ride advertised, but doesn’t do early Sunday mornings. The Sherco would have been a gun to a knife fight here.

Off to Martinborough for a drink. Cramps going over the Rimutakas meant that I rode much of that standing on the pegs. Drizzle at Upper Hutt. Home by 5.30pm.
    Te Hopo, Muzz67, Night Falcon and 8 others like this.
  15. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    Great ride report Steve

Akatarawas was traffic free but the road surface was a bit suspect in places. Got home a bit after you by the sound of it.

[​IMG]

Somewhere in the distance there are a couple of airheads languishing in a garage.
    innathyzit and Box'a'bits like this.
  16. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    My house is the one just to the left

Yes I was disappointed not to be able to Join you - airhead parts are spread all over the place - at least the weekend wasn't a complete black hole as on Saturday I had tea and cake at the bridge cafe for morning tea, a yummy burger at the Papa Cliff Cafe in Mangaweka for lunch and lovely soup at the Kimbolton pub for dinner - was utterly stunning riding weather.
  17. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    A cold mid winter day today.

Looking back towards Ohingaiti

[​IMG]

Looking back at the carpark (about where the track arrives at the trees) at Whitecliffs Boulders. It's a sheer drop just past the trees. That's SH1 in the distance, it disappears onto the steep hill just south of Mangaweka, centre right.

It was a 1.6km walk from the honesty box and I thought it better to come back in the car with proper walking boots.

[​IMG]
    EVLED, dazzadm, Jeff Sichoe and 2 others like this.
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you were close to home. You should have called in for a cuppa. I took the Bemaha for a ride today too... into town for a WOF and back.:-)
  19. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    Thanks, a cuppa would have been great. After a disorganised late start, I never made it as far as you. The cold began to set in and I turned for home earlier than planned. I was looking forward to a coffee at the cafe in Kimbolton but it was closed when I arrived at 3. It seems pretty hit and miss that one.
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they seem to simply live the small town life style. It's cold here today. A good frost