Welp. It happened.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Oct 30, 2018.

1. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Triumph dealer is no longer a Triumph dealer. My TEX XC only has 7,000 miles on it and their lead mechanic, the only one having gone through the factory school, is no longer there.
  2. vector6

vector6 slipstream

Oddometer:
    these things happen, the shop i mechanic for is about to lose the ONLY certified mechanic they have as soon as i hear back from the other places I applied for last week.
  3. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake!

Oddometer:
    Get a manual, some tools and learn how to work on your bike. You'll save a lot of money to offset the costs and be able to make trailside repairs and have the confidence to enjoy longer rides.
  4. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triumph doesn't sell their service manuals. They want you to use their authorized/certified mechanics. And I don't trust Chiltons to be in depth.
  5. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    It just ticks me off that Triumph, Inc, felt the necessity to impose arbitrary big business rules on small, barely surviving shops. Required inventory. Bikes that don't sell. Name changes. Even logo changes. Some Triumph, Inc, nitwit apparently had HD envy and wanted total control. He should have investigated HD's financials. It's not working out for them either.
  6. Berchunis

Berchunis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMWNA did just that many years ago after BMW kick away Butler & Smith. BMWNA pulled support from very small motorcycle dealers who sold early model Triumph, Honda, Bridgestone, BSA, Yamaha.........along with BMW. All makes in one large store, or small barn.

Some were small dealers who tried to sell German motorcycles to a skeptical public who still remembered WWII and the damage done to our service men by German military goods. Yes, the "Krauts" used heavily armed motorcycles.

But, hey that was business and it left a bad taste in many BMW owners.
  7. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    All very true. Piaggio in now in the process of doing the same thing in the US and already lost 8/10 Guzzi dealers in the last 6 months. What the eventual reality is going to be is hard to figure, some brands/dealers are going away forever. The good part is new brands/dealers are appearing on the horizon; RE, CSC, SSR to name a few and I wish them well.
    Berchunis and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Keep looking on the net. You might find someone who put a copy of the service manual on line.
    Snowbird and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  9. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's the Tiger 800 xc I just downloaded on that looks complete at 508 pages

Biker.ee/manuals/triumph/Triumph_Tiger_800_XC_2010-2013_(ABS_Model_Includwd).pdf
    Snowbird likes this.
  10. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've always been able to find Triumph service manuals online for all the ones I've owned.
  11. portalespeanut

portalespeanut nEARLY nORMAL

Oddometer:
    I experienced the same thing with my Tiger 800XC. Six months after buying it, my long-time dealership dropped the line, saying that dealing with Triumph corporate was impossible. (And that's from someone who's had to deal with Honda corporate). To the Tha Rick above who said that I should "learn to work on my bike"....I assure You that I have always worked on all my bikes...for 50 years. While there is info out there to do maintenance and make repairs, it's not as easy to reset service intervals, or check for codes without Triumph's software...and so, the idiot light for maintenance stays on all the time on my bike. Welcome to the modern world.
    spokester likes this.
  12. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    There is a right-to-repair movement with in the US, with this recent ruling:
    https://www.techradar.com/news/us-passes-landmark-decision-in-right-to-repair-movement

https://www.copyright.gov/1201/2018/

What this means is that there will be access to your machine's software and manufacturers are not going to stem the tide of this movement.

Back early in the digital age of motorcycling, I purchased a 2001 Aprilia in July. After the Sept. 11 attacks a few months later, the economic upshot was the dealer went out of business. But most of what I needed was simply standard mechanical parts, tires and oil. Forget the valve checks if it isn't practical to do them yourself, and ride the bike like you're trying to destroy it. You'll have more fun, feel like you got more for your money and it'll probably last a long time. I still have the Aprilia, BTW. Trashed one engine, but did have fun. Now I'm having fun on someone else's carefully maintained engine that survived an event the rest of the bike didn't.
    rob1313 and portalespeanut like this.
  13. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    All this is exactly why I am considering a DR650 Suzuki, now that the KLR is going extinct. The last two times I took my S10 to a dealer for work, there were problems created by their "certified mechanic". I just don't trust some kid to take the care that I would with my bike. That, coupled with everything covered up with acres of expensive plastic that is hard to remove and re-install. I will probably trade my Africa Twin before I let someone else get there grubby paws on it.
    portalespeanut likes this.
  14. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a few brands that are going to go broke soon
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I took my 2006 FJR to the dealer for a valve inspection, when it was admittedly long over due but I did not have time to do it, so off to the dealer. Got it back and found a piece of plastic attachment missing. Dealer grudgingly gave me a "free" replacement screw. A couple of years later, the cam chain adjuster had been updated and I did have the time for this easy job, so I removed the plastic myself. Once I uncovered the engine and looked at the screws holding the valve cover on and other things that need removal for a valve check, it was easy to tell not a single screw had been previously removed. Therefore, I had been charged for work that was never done. Naturally, my 2014 FJR came from any other Yamaha dealer.
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just decided this past month that I'll be keeping my DR650 as my retirement bike and selling the Tiger 800XC. I love the Tiger but it's a PITA to work on compared to the DR. Simplicity is key for me once I'm retired so a simple bike like the DR should suit me fine. I'm not even sure what Triumph dealers are still around since I do my own work but a few years ago we had 2 within an hour or so from home, one north, one south. I think the southern one may have dropped Triumph but I don't know nor do I care.
    spokester and Johann like this.
  17. WindBlast

WindBlast Repoting live from Interzone

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the Triumph/BMW dealer in Philly is spiraling down slowly. They were a great old style shop before Buzz sold it and the new guy got BMW too when DeSimone closed in Jersey. Sure looks great and hipster and all but seems my favorite tech quit and they are down to just two guys in the back. IIRC DeSimone had like 7 techs.
  18. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Realizing rather quickly that I shouldn't have sold my first DR650, I eventually purchased another one. This one is here to stay. And what joy there is in purchasing the same necessary accessories, again, but at observably higher prices... :bluduh

:D
  19. Berchunis

Berchunis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know Philly has a BMW motorcycle dealer. When I left the Philly area, 2004, the closest dealer was in Devon, (now closed) where I had bought my 2002 K1200RS. Only other dealer was in Depford, N.J. Also long gone.

So, DeSimone gas closed shop, too. I remember when OTTO (BMW cars) in West Chester took on the motorcycle line. That was a bit mistake.

Such are the marketing ideas of BMWNA.
  20. Teckel

Teckel Seriously?

Oddometer:
    Care to elaborate? Or are you just guessing?