Wenatchee NF Washington; Deer Park, Mad Lake, Klone Peak, and Sugarloaf Peak

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by das Rider, Oct 13, 2006.

1. das Rider

das Rider Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer:
    Ride Type: <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street><st1:address>FS Road</st1:address></st1:Street> / Single track / <st1:Street><st1:address>State Highway</st1:address></st1:Street> section
    <st1:place><st1:placeName>Wenatchee </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>National Forest</st1:placeType></st1:place> 84 miles east of Monroe, WA.
    Length: 80 mile loop - 7 to 8 hours (could be run faster with less sight seeing)
    Difficulty: Intermediate with a few scary/exposed sections with steep drop-offs, lots of scenic overlooks.
    Directions: Take Highway 2 east from
    <st1:City><st1:place>Monroe, WA</st1:place></st1:City> to Coles Corner, WA then north on 207 to Chiwawa River Road to Deer Camp
    Gas: In Coles Corner, we didn't check for gas in
    <st1:place><st1:City>Ardenvoir</st1:City>, <st1:State>WA</st1:State></st1:place><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

The <st1:place><st1:placeName>Wenatchee </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>National Forest</st1:placeType></st1:place> offers a trail map of this area titled:<o:p></o:p>
    Devils Backbone, Entiat, Mad River, <st1:place>Lower Chiwawa</st1:place><o:p></o:p>
    The trip report for this ride is here:<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173379<o:p></o:p>
    The ride starts at the "<st1:City><st1:place>Deer Camp"</st1:place></st1:City> camp site on a FS road and follows a FS road up the mountain to Maverick Saddle, an intersection of several single track trails and FS roads. Take the Mad River Trail north. Mad <st1:place>Lake</st1:place> would make a wonderful campsite. The trail to this point is well groomed, dirt with several shallow water crossings and some whooped sections. It runs through gently rolling terrain and forest.<o:p></o:p>
    The next stop will be <st1:place><st1:placeName>Klone </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Peak</st1:placeType></st1:place>, 6834'. The side trail to the summit is somewhat challenging, steep, rocky, loose surface, but manageable. The views from the summit are well worth the ride. The white capped mountain on the northwest horizon is <st1:place>Glacier Peak</st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
    The trail next runs through the '94 burn. The trail becomes increasingly dusty with a very loose surface and loose rocks. There are some exposed sections of the trail on the way to the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Entiat </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>River</st1:placeType></st1:place>. The bridge over the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Entian </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>River</st1:placeType></st1:place> near the Tommy Creek Trailhead makes a nice stop and swimming is a possibility in pools under the bridge.<o:p></o:p>
    Cross the bridge and you are out of the NF on a two lane paved road, the <st1:Street><st1:address>Entiat River Road</st1:address></st1:Street>. Take this road south to Ardenvoir. Turn west and take the Moe Ridge road up toward the ridge. Next is the <st1:Street><st1:address>Entiat Summit Road</st1:address></st1:Street> which takes you to FS 6101. <st1:place><st1:placeName>Sugarloaf </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Peak</st1:placeType></st1:place> and Lookout will be on your right had side. The lookout is an active Forest Service Lookout.<o:p></o:p>
    The last landmark will be the French Corral, another large intersection of trails. Continue north on FS 6101 back to Maverick Saddle and ride back down hill to Deer Camp. We left <st1:City><st1:place>Monroe</st1:place></st1:City> about <st1:time Minute="30" Hour="8">8:30 am</st1:time>, arrived at <st1:City><st1:place>Deer Camp</st1:place></st1:City> about <st1:time Minute="30" Hour="10">10:30 am</st1:time>, made it to the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Entiat </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>River</st1:placeType></st1:place> by <st1:time Minute="0" Hour="15">3:00 pm</st1:time>, and got back to the truck at <st1:City><st1:place>Deer Camp</st1:place></st1:City> by <st1:time Minute="50" Hour="17">5:30pm</st1:time>.

<o:p>A note about the ride: We rode this loop clockwise, Mad Lake, Klone Peak, Sugarloaf Peak. I believe that was the right choice and maximized the fun factor mainly because you will want to ride Moe Ridge road up hill. This puts the technical single track early in the day and saves the fast Forest Service roads for later in the day.</o:p>
  2. John E Davies

John E Davies Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the data - that is part of the Dirty Face DS Ride and a wonderful part of Washington.

John Davies
    Spokane WA
  3. viclava

viclava Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DasRider,

Yes there is gas in Ardenvoir. Don't be alarmed if you hear banjo music as you get close to Entiat/Ardenvoir. The family trees are branchless there, if you know what I mean. I live in Wenatchee and am familiar with your ride route. I am a deputy here in Chelan County and did a stint as ORV deputy a few years ago for about 4 years. Learned all the trail systems and roads.

Anyway, If I can be of help let me know. Me and the USFS ORV Rangers rebuilt the cabin up there at MAd LAke about 5 years ago and I haven't been up there since. I really like it up there. You guys should have a good weekend maybe a little frost in the morning. You might encounter the 2 ORV deputies on your ride. Don't worry the guys doing it now are old and slow (he he he).

Have fun and be safe,
    Scott:D
  4. Ginsu4u

Ginsu4u Yakitty Shmakitty.....

Oddometer:
    That looks like a great ride. Thanks for the info. I have family in E. Wenatchee and love it there. I have done alot of hiking in those areas but never on a bike.

Ryan.