Went for a 100ft slide down the road on my AT

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Flying Marmot, May 21, 2019.

1. Flying Marmot

Flying Marmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup my dorky airbag vest inflated into action as I found myself sliding down the road looking at my bike ahead of me it’s high beams looking back saying WTF ...at 50mph.

If I were to ride that stretch again I wouldn’t and couldn’t have been any safer in my riding. At 2k miles a month it n all weathers and speeds I have an excellent spidy sense. Don’t take risks and know the roads I ride in all conditions.

Late at night twisty backroad just before twisty bits.
    The left side of the bike slammed into the asphalt without warning!
    Was it diesel?
    Wind ? It’s was gusty tonight.
    Damp road surface? I ride in rain a lot !
    The bike had a suspension setup quirk ?
    I’ll not know the answer tonight, maybe never.
    I know I rode another 30 miles home with not much more than a sore elbow and thankful for my Helite turtle vest and Klim pants.
    A Good Samaritan stopped to help and shone her phone on me and the bike while I righted her from the ditch.

The Africa Twin is a new beast to me. I normally ride a Concours 14. The AT handles like it’s on rails but the damping and springs leave much to be desired.
    After 4K miles and a few months of enjoyment I’m left with some cosmetic damage to her and my motorcycle karma....
    joe a likes this.
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Glad you're mostly alright.
    Flying Marmot likes this.
  3. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you are ok. No idea what happened? That would be frustrating. I ride with a dorky vest too... ATGATT plus. Do you think it made a big difference on how you walked away? Without it would you have been worse off?
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Smell your gear I had one of those at like 15mph. It was a spray of transmissions fluid that I couldn't see standing in it.
  5. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to me last fall. Just taking a left from a light at the end of my road, bike went out from under me right at the apex. I slide 10-15 feet. I still don't know how that happened.
  6. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    The only time a bike went out from under me like that was when a pickup truck just ahead of me blew his transmission. The rear stepped out like it was on black ice.
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  7. Flying Marmot

Flying Marmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely worse. Hit asphalt hard ribs neck back all protected. Definitely broken ribs and possible spinal injury otherwise. Klim pants not a scratch. First gear jacket torn up Dubious protection from that jacket. Forma boots no marks.
    Bike. Hand guard and plastics worn through along with a quarter inch worn on peg mounts and br end weights. Crank case scuffed up. Back box scuffed.
  8. Flying Marmot

Flying Marmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s what it felt like. I’m trying to convince myself a pure street bike would have made it. The randomness and uncertainty in road conditions ie. Trans fluid , diesel etc make me think twice about ever riding again. It doesn’t scare me just a numbers game.
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The 15mph incident I posted about was on a Super Sport with very aggressive rubber on it.......the mysterious crap on the road doesn't care what sort of bike you are on.
    neanderthal, c_m_shooter and kojack06 like this.
  10. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you wore the gear, and got away relatively ok. A crash, when you do not know why, that sure does eat you up!
    Care to post a pic of your AT´s tyres?
    You said you are used to road bikes. On the AT, especially that narrow 21 inch front, although great for off-road, ain´t the best front end for the tarmac, and especially if it´s wearing a knobbly tyre.
    I owned 5 different 650-750 AT´s in the past, compared to a 17 inch road tyre, there is actually quite a bit of difference. Things like cold tarmac could make it even bigger.
    (It could be there was just something slippery on the road surface, though.)
  11. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Good to see you were ATGATT and not seriously injured. We’re you in the center of the lane when you went down? That’s a part of all roads that I try to avoid like the plague, especially on hot summer days or when the roads are wet. Fluids from leaking cagers seems to always accumulate there and can’t be seen in time on dark asphalt.
    knight likes this.