Went off in a corner in Deckers CO

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by boothmoto, Oct 3, 2019.

1. boothmoto

boothmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my cb500x for just over a year and put 12k on it. I rode it out from MA to Colorado this summer and have spent as much time as possible on it exploring Denver and all local access to the Rockies. This past Sunday I headed out to explore Colorado 67 and smaller roads to get from Sedalia to Conifer. Weather was clear, road were dry and I was enjoying leaning into the turns. I came down a hill into a blind corner, marked with a 10 or 15 mph sign. I applied a good bit of brake going into the corner, and as soon i was in the corner, bam the bike was down and I was tangled up and sliding with it.

I knew immediately something was wrong with my right ankle. It was pointed a weird way and I didn't have much movement. After a couple seconds of trying to move it around there was a "pop" and suddenly it seemed to be back in the right position. I was able to get up and walk on it to get out of the road. A couple in a car behind me pulled over and helped pull the bike out of the road and stop other cars until I was out of the road. I had a good bit of rash along my right side and my ankle ballooned up immediately. I spent some time limping around, examining the bike and trying to decide whether I could get the bike and myself home on my own. The local fire department showed up and asked whether I needed an ambulance. I demonstrated I was able to walk and told them I was going to ride the bike back. They pointed out a gravel washout across the road on the corner, and as I was collecting myself another bike went past and slid his front wheel but kept the bike up. I got myself on the bike, tested the remains of the front and rear brake levers and had a very unpleasant 30 mile ride back into Denver. I tripled my following distance and spent most of my time planning stops to land on my left foot. I made it back, and got a ride to the ER. XRAY showed a fractured distal fibula and I likely have a good bit of ligament damage. The bike made it out with minimal damage. Broken front and rear brake levers, and the windshield came off but did not break. I ground down a good bit of the Rally Raid skidplate but it saved the engine and plastics. Scraping on my pelican case and muffler, and on the fork bottom.

I'm pretty pissed at myself for messing up. I have definitely noticed myself pushing the limit on corners on canyon and mountain roads out here, it's one of my favorite aspects of riding. I find I've often ridden right to the edge of the rear tire on a ride through the twisties. While I was off the front brake by the time I was in the corner, I braked later than I should have and likely still had excess weight on the front of the bike. It was my first time on this road and I went into a blind corner with stupid assumptions about conditions. I've been riding for nearly 10 years, and the risks are always in my mind when I get on the motorcycle. I believe that nearly all motorcycle accident can be prevented by the rider, regardless of the actions of other drivers.

All the gear I was wearing prevented further injury. There are some lights scratches on my helmet but there was no impact with the ground. I was wearing a competition leather vanson model b and you can barely see the scratches on it. My arm has slight burns on the elbow from the heat but it saved me a ton of rash. gloves saved my hands. I was wearing chippewa leather workboots which took a ton of abrasion as saved my ankle from a ton of cutting and abrasion. I will be buying rigid motorcycle boots after this, I suspect that could have prevented nearly all the ankle damage. I was wearing a new pair of levis which shredded and provided no protection. I will be buying riding pants.

What I learned: slow down, atgatt, could've been worse. Be safe out there!

Attached Files:

2. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m glad you’re OK, but you’re gonna catch hell about those “riding” boots...
  3. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the damage to your boot was on the inner side? Yea you definitely bent your ankle a way it wasn't designed to go.

I also had a run in with some gravel, I have a of of miles under my belt and was on a brand new bike with less than 1K on the odometer. I was headed home after a nice weekend trip to the Smokies headed south on Rt. 28 coming into a downhill sharp left. The gravel didn't cause a low side, I braked as hard as I could until it was obvious I would either slide in the gravel and lowside or bounce off the guardrail with my leg so I lowsided purposely so the bike hit the guardrail but was probably only going about 15mph right before sliding. I was mad before any contact was made, I didn't get hurt and rode my still shiny but scratched up bike the 300 or so miles home. It can happen to anyone. My gravel was cause by a car that apparently went off onto the shoulder on the inside of the corner and spun tires and sprayed gravel all across the road.
    boothmoto likes this.
  4. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your crash details and good luck on your healing... the Vanson jacket you had on is something I need to buy , or a good thick leather jacket that will take a long slide to save my skin !

The boots I have been wearing on the street rides are Sidi Adv like these in the photo... This type of boot is very comfortable , however , they don't provide the protection that MX boots provide your ankles.

And MX boots can be hard to walk in so there is a compromise to make... also harder to shift gears with a big dirt bike boot ... I stopped riding in jeans as they don't work, and good riding pants do work...

The gravel or sand or oil or coolant or what ever is on our roads , can catch out even the best riders , however , some dirt bike riding skills, and slower speeds , seem to help with the loss of traction thing :thumb

sidi_discovery_rain_boots_750x750.jpg
    Dan Diego and boothmoto like this.
  5. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooooh dude. I'm in your exact situation ie a fibula fracture just above the ankle. But I've got surgery done to plate and screw it. I feel for you dude. I've been off my left feet since 9th August and will continue to be off my feet at least until 7th November.

I'm with you on the riding boots. Time for us to pony up cash to buy some :lol3

Sorry it happened to you too. It sucks. But recover well and continue riding:clap
  6. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah that sucks.....heal up quick! Glad the bike didn't suffer too much damage. As far as "planning your stops to land on your left foot" you should already be doing that unless you're on a road that is off camber going away from your left side. You should get in the habit of using both brakes every time you slow/stop...then you know you'll have access to 100% braking if needed. And I agree that better riding boots could have saved that ankle...but hey....it looks like you're well on your way to being 100% again!
  7. boothmoto

boothmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh man that's rough! I think I got lucky RE surgery. They took my splint off yesterday and gave me a walking boot which feels like progress. Hurts like hell to try and walk in it though. Best of luck with your recovery.

Thanks all for the encouragement! There's a Cycle Gear location in town here so once I'm healed up I'll head over to try on some different kinds of boots. I wonder about riding with an ankle brace for a bit for some protection. It's been a few years since I last did any MSF courses, I think this is a good excuse for a refresher.
    Dan Diego, Little Bike and JJaafar like this.
  8. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto what others are saying and thanks for sharing. Especially the picks, and particularly of the boot. Boots are always a trade-off between protection and comfort, it seems to me. I've tried several pairs of boots with varying levels of protection, but can't find a riding boot that will protect me more than my Bates boots, yet be as comfortable to hike in.

You seem to have exactly the right attitude in that you will learn from the accident (I hesitate to call it a mistake due to the gravel) and take steps to avoid a similar incident in the future. Speedy recovery!
    boothmoto likes this.
  9. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your leg, broken legs are no fun at all. I’m sure you know now, really slow down on blind corners because you don’t know what the road conditions are in the bits you can’t see. That’s great you’re going to take some more classes! :clap
    boothmoto likes this.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Yep, used to sell boots at a bike shop. My comment when price was a bit of an issue... "It's less cost than a trip down the road" to the local hospital emergency room. One guy was waffling on them for his kid, a $130 pair, wife says "we'll take them".
  11. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    boothmoto likes this.
  12. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recommend the toucans coupled with a leatte dual axis knee brace under riding pants. The heaviest ADV boots you can get are good for your riding. They allow for some twisting relief in a crash which is what you want. MX boots are actually stronger for impact but can lead spiral fractures that you really really don’t want. Leave pure MX for the pure dirt.
  13. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lucky you. I found out the hard way how your leg muscles can waste away quite dramatically if not used.

It's very disturbing to see 1 leg smaller than the other :lol3
    boothmoto likes this.
  14. Coondawg_07

Coondawg_07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be glad you have a fibula fracture and not your actual ankle (Talus). I’m going on 15 weeks recovery from a car wreck. Broke my Talar neck in two and also a clean break of the tibia. I just got cleared for partial weight bearing. It’s a long road to recovery. You broke one of the easier bones to mend in that area.

Not to downplay your injury; I know it sucks. Good luck, I wish you a speedy recovery.
    boothmoto likes this.
  15. boothmoto

boothmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know I'm super lucky with this injury. My thoughts go out to everyone who's been laid up and off their feet for months, only a week so far for me and it's driving me nuts. I think the ligaments that were damaged are what will take longest to heal. I'm hoping swelling goes down in a week or so, my ankle is still severely swollen all the way around. Has anyone used an ankle brace while riding after injury? It would give some peace of mind about putting the foot down for quick or uneven stops.
  16. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden around that area a lot. Many of the gravel roads there are like riding in marbles.

Unfortunately you found out the hard way that they’re really slippery!

Hope you heal up quickly
    boothmoto likes this.
  17. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not from me. I have 4eee feet with a high arch. riding boots that are not painful do not exist for me.

Rod
  18. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Know what’s a wee more painful than tight boots? A fractured distal fibula and ligament damage.

Find and buy good riding boots.
  19. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like another hat-tip to ATGATT. I'm glad you're okay. I find myself getting a little too confident from time to time on my Africa Twin. These are great reminders.
  20. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm healing from my second broken distal fibula. Both times were deer strikes and both times I was wearing Sidi Combat lite boots. I want more ankle protection in my next pair of boots. I'm not sure what those will be.