Went off in a corner in Deckers CO

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by boothmoto, Oct 3, 2019.

1. boothmoto

boothmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope you heal up quickly! What was the healing time on your first injury?
  2. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6-8 weeks
    This time I’m at 5+ months and it is refusing to heal.
  3. boothmoto

boothmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh man, that really sucks. Are you able to put any weight on it?
  4. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know if your still in Denver but if you are the local Craigslist page is a great place to buy riding gear, I’ve also had a lot of luck in the flea market here on ADV. Sounds like you might have wiped out on Foxton Rd? At least you discovered most of my favorite front range day rides!
    boothmoto likes this.
  5. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    45mph sign I figure whatever I'm brave enough for, 35 a little more trail, 25 I'm listening, 15 I'm thinking yup, 15. Joints take a while but not forever - netflix is your friend - pain killers a last resort.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and boothmoto like this.
  6. boothmoto

boothmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't get quite that far haha. It was one of the tight corners between Pine Creek and Platte River roads. I was headed for Platte River Rd and then Foxton road. Next time. I am still in Denver, gonna be based here for most of the next two years. I've been scoping out CL and the flea market, definitely a lot of stuff listed out here.
  7. Roktman

Roktman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well you learned the hard way, ATGATT, I had a friend tell me once if you take a 22 ounce hammer and whack anywhere on the boot and it hurts ,your boots are not enough, I mean you’re not hitting as hard as you can but a decent little
    whack, btw When I got back into riding I met some friends out in the desert going to do the plaster city/ocatilla route I was riding a KTM 525 After a long period of not having a bike but having growing up on them as a teenager and racing wayback When ,I geared up with just heavy Timberline work boots , Met some friends out in the desert , When the guys saw my boots to a man they all said it’s not smart using those boots out here they’re not enough you’re gonna break your ankle but I rode anyway I didn’t break my ankle, and Just dabbing my foot down all day my ankle was very sore like I had been in an accident almost, so as soon as I got home I got in craigslist and found a cheap pair of heavy duty motocross boots, hopped on my bike and rode some local trails for about a half an hour and I thought no way ,not a chance I can’t even shift in these things I can’t feel anything this is not gonna work ,came home call my buddy he goes nope you need to ride100 or 200 miles Street and Dirt then they’ll feel like a glove you won’t even feel them and you’ll never want to ride in anything else…He was right, There’s good and bad to ATGATT , the bad for me is I don’t hop on my bike to go down to the store or to zip around the block or run across town for something or visit my father-in-law because I don’t like the hassle of suiting up just to do that and then being there with those clothes,On the other hand I’ve taken a couple high sides bunches of low sides and just sand crashes in my ATGATTwhich is considerable and I always come out OK, This is the gear I wear summer or winter up to 105° raining or not raining if riding the desert I’ll lose the jacket in my duffel and wear heavy duty jersey), alpine stars toucan boots (probably going to upgrade to GAERNE 12s or similar even stronger) And articulated plastic padded knee protectors armored underweae , klim Gore-Tex pants and jacket, bionic pressure suit ,good gloves , aria xd-4 helmet, dress for the crash, cheers
    boothmoto likes this.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with appliance57: on roads you’ve not ridden recently, ride consistent with the warning signs. Those speeds are for cars so you’ll have a built-in 5-10mph margin of error in case you get caught unaware. Keep your canyon carving speeds to roads you’ve pre-ridden the same day.

Hope you heal fully and quickly.
    boothmoto likes this.
  9. boothmoto

boothmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:

I will definitely be following this advice. There's not going to be a whole lot of carving once I'm back riding after being off for weeks. This is the longest I've been off the bike in over a year. My new front brake lever arrived today, that's the last piece I need to get the bike together. I had good news at my Ortho appointment last week - the fracture is healing well and no complete ligament tears. I guess this fracture is treated like a bad sprain as the fibula doesn't support much weight. I can walk on the foot and put full weight on it though I still have a decent limp. Arnica ice and elevation has really reduced the swelling. If i can walk the bike backwards and get it out of the back yard with no pain I'll be attempting a ride soon.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  10. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent news! Healing well and in time. Some people have all the luck :lol3
  11. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear SIDI boots, not motocross but road - can't remember name of them but they are the mid to lower price point waterproof ones. Last pair os SIDIs wore out and was looking for another pair. Revzilla had them on sale at a great price but were a size 44 not a 42 like I wanted. They were loose so I fixed them by replacing the insoles with insoles from Amazon that were thicker and wear an extra pair of socks. Cant pull them off my feet so fit is perfect. Have done 600 mile days, ridden in temps from 32 to 102 F dry and rain. Many times wear them all day long. Great foot, ankle and lower leg protection and they ar not too bad to walk in.
  12. MisterScott

MisterScott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear my friend. I ride the Deckers route almost every weekend when it is nice. I have seen numerous bike's down. Lot's of gravel makes it way not he road and a lot of cagers cut corners there. Glad you made it. Have had to reroute a few times when they have brought a chopper in.
  13. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine, in the dirt, was wearing the TOP SHELF Sidi boots and COMPOUND fractured his tibia! Boots looked just fine.
    Moral of the story, like the sticker inside of helmet, this item cannot protect the wearer against all foreseeable impacts.
    At least the OP was wearing boots! So don't rag on him!

Ride on!

Chris
  14. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easy there, ATGATT, guy!

Let’s not make this about gear. You know and I know that riders should wear the best gear they can afford. THAT is the true moral of the story.
  15. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    A couple years ago I was in cycle gear shopping for a replacement helmet, jacket, gloves and boots after hitting a deer and skidding down the road a long way. The wife of another customer (new rider) shopping for a first helmet overheard my story with the sales guy, and told her husband to buy whatever I had been wearing in my crash. She was serious, she wanted to know the brand and model of everything.
  16. mors30001

mors30001 n00b

Oddometer:
    I figure Ill throw this out there I broke my ankle bad hiking in december started riding again after many years not on June. The only thing my surgeon said was buy good boots moment was limited only ones I could get my foot in were Oneal Rider boots. They turned out to be Junk ankle hurt all the time. I then bought some Alpinestars Tech7's pain stopped literally the first time I put them on and has been good since I still refuse to drive my car and wear them almost like normal shoes lol. Try the Enduro ones I had no issues walking in them but I would not use them hiking.