1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

We're going to Costa Rica... any thoughts???

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wingnut racer, Jan 22, 2008.

1. wingnut racer

wingnut racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're flying into Costa Rica on the 3rd and will be therew until the 11th. We're headed to Limon and Arenal. Any suggestions on other places, great rides and inexpensive places to stay (other than camping) and where to get a good dual sport for 2 up.
    Thanx, Van
  2. Muddyspokes

Muddyspokes Muddyspokes

Oddometer:
    Spent about a week on the east coast of Costa Rica....in the rain forest south of lemon at a Yoga retreat(did I say rain).. Lemon-well wasn't exactly tourist freindly-thats on the other side of the country in and around San Jose.
    South of Lemon are very undeveloped beach towns...plenty of Sloths roaming around. North of Lemon the rivers are wild and full of crocs..
    Lot of moisture from the Carribean...The dry sunny country is all once again on the left coast...I personaly would not return to the Lemon area..
    just my 02cents.
    luck to you.
  3. DDH

DDH n00b

Oddometer:
    Great rafting east of San Jose, class 4 rapids. A company called Adventure Naturals does an overnight trip. You stay in huts in the middle of the jungle, very remote. Did that trip twice.

The Ossa Penninsula in the SW is also very interesting. 95 and humid all the time. We rented a hut near the beach, very few people, great time.

No idea where you can rent a bike. If you find one, take a GPS, signage was horrible, traffic was dangerous.

Nothing worth seeing in San Jose. Traffic is bad all the time.
  4. BonneRocker

BonneRocker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    You say Limon...do you mean Limon, or south of Limon to Cahuita and Puerto Viejo and beyond? Limon is a funky place. I've been to the atlantic prolly 10 times over the years--but never stayed in Limon.

So from Limon you're headed to Arenal? Will you be on a bike at this point? Last August I was in Ciudad Quesada (San Carlos) visiting family and was thinking about driving to Limon and asked about a route north of San Jose area, which I like to avoid when possible. They said it was possible and agreed it would be more relaxing (particularly if you're on a motorcycle I would think). So when you head towards Arenal from Limon, look into taking the route through Parque Nacional Braulio Carrillo (towards S. Jose); rather, a bit after Guapiles head north and then west towards Fortuna (town near Arenal). Sorry, don't have map with me. I wouldn't give "hiway" numbers anyway--they usually don't exist and my own family said I would have to ask a number of times to make sure I was on the right way--part of the adventure, right?:lol3
  6. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I mistated that. Should read: when you head towards Arenal from Limon, DON'T take the route through P.N. Braulio Carrillo (towards S. Jose); rather, a bit after Guapiles head north...

If that's not clear: most folks would drive through Braulio Carrillo Natl Park, through S. Jose and then on to Arenal. I would avoid doing so.

Instead, after Guapiles there should be road N , then W that will take you to Fortuna (Arenal). This is what I would ask about / look into.
  7. pdedse

Oddometer:
    ON THE OTHER HAND: now that I have reread your post, I see you're also looking for GREAT RIDES, Braulio Carrillo Natl Park (which I said you might think about avoiding in the previous post) is an unbelievably curvy, forested mountain range, that will at some point be INCREDIBLY foggy, wet, but with breathtaking views of greenery. It's just that I've driven too many times through S. Jose to want to drive through it when there may be an "off the beaten path" alternative.
  8. rjzinc

rjzinc The World is My Home

Oddometer:
    I was in Costa Rica between Christmas and New Year's. I rented a KLR650 in San Jose from Wid Rider http://www.wild-rider.com/ which is a great rental company run by two German's. thomas is the original owner and has been in business about 10 years, thornsten joined him about 5 years ago. I spent an hour or so planning a route with thornsten and I was off for a weeks adventure.

Are you flying in to San Jose or Limon? There are no motorcycle rentals in Limon. Are you looking for a dual sport rental KLR650 or there is also a Harley rental in the San Jose area but then you are limiting yourself to the paved roads. The big difference between a KLR and HArley was quite evident when I rode the KLR over to the HArley dealer to purchase a t-shirt. There was an ex-pat trailering in his Harley because the front tire was flat. With the KLR, a flat can be repaired on the road just about every small town has a tire repair shop.

My trip departed San Jose to the Paos and Arenal volcanoes and the to the Nicoya peninsula, Samara and then down the Pacific coast to Manual Antonio National Park. Then back to San Jose, went from sea level in the morning to 11,000 later in the evening.

When your riding, stop at the road side fruit stands and enjoy a fresh coconut. There is usually a Tico there with a machete husking fresh coconuts and then will crack one open aand put a straw in for you to enjoy a refreshing drink. I ate at roadside stands and cafes along the way. Tico food, rice, beans, steamed veggies, fried plantain and a meat cost about $4-$5. I stayed in cabinas for $10 - $30 a nite with a suicide shower.

Thornsten persuaded me not to take my camping gear on account of safety, but along the Pacific coast there were some nice spots I would have liked to camp. I travelled solo and never had a fear of my safety at any time.

This was my first adventure trip like this and now I am planning a trip to Panama in March of 2008. I have my airline reservation and am waiting on a motorcycle reservation. Then it is Alaska in June of 2008. I plan to ride both ends of the continent between Deadhorse, Alaska and the Darien Gap in Panama. Then do South America later, Dang, don't get enough vacation time.