West and North (Canada incl. Dempster) - 1972 Moto Guzzi (Video added 08/08/2019)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nick949eldo, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Cycle Goon

Cycle Goon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great read my man! Now if you REALLY want to try some crazy, I'll send you a Norton and you can ride that up to the Arctic circle.
  2. Frey Bentos

Frey Bentos Probably doing a drawing. Or scratching my arse.

Oddometer:
    A lovely read. Thanks for posting.
  3. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 1960 Panther which would be up to the job if only it would stop over-oiling. People do all kinds of crazy rides on old machines. As we speak, Des Molloy (of The Last Hurrah fame) is riding his old Panther around Australia. The Dempster would be no problem. The highways on the way there - now that's another issue.

DSCN2885.JPG

Nick
  4. Diggers99

Diggers99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Obviously there's a secret Panther Society where you keep in touch! Will Des be writing another book? Like your writings I really enjoyed The Last Hurrah, although I guess now he'll have to re-release it as The Second Last Hurrah?
  5. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get the info through the Panther Owner's Club Facebook Page. It's a public group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/11553580477/
  6. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a short video of the trip. It's only tiny fragments, but I hope it provides some flavour.

'Bob', davide, koh kood and 7 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Epic ride report Nick. Great trip.
    nick949eldo likes this.
  8. LittleMac

LittleMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loved your report Nick ! Brings back memories.
    nick949eldo likes this.
  9. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report Nick! I enjoyed this so much I ordered one of your books (Beyond The Coffee Shop). As a new Guzzi rider I appreciate how you relate to your bike. Take care and keep up the good work!
  10. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks wncstrada - I hope you enjoy it. It's short but meaty :jack

Nick
  11. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another great report! But these reports... and those equally enjoyable books... may be partly responsible for my decision to delay replacing my beloved but aging Tiger 800 with a KTM and take a fateful test-ride on a V85 first. Now I understand what my friends back east were going on about. Thanks for prompting me to take a look at these machines! Our local Moto Guzzi dealer thanks you too :D
  12. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the V85TT DesertPilot. I hope it treats you well. If you haven't already, join the Wildguzzi forum. https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0 Plenty of crusty old Guzzi farts there, but a huge source of knowledge, experience and help - and completely free of politics or other annoyances.

Nick
  13. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great and inspiring trip report! I've said many times on this forum, nothing puts the adventure in ADVRIDER like making a long trip on an old bike! I liked reading this for several reasons:

1) I am quite fond of old bikes. I've owned and restore/rebuilt 4 70's Hondas and would've taken any one of them on a long trip. Not only did I have confidence in them, I knew every nut and bolt about them. One was a CX500 (Honda Guzzi) that was my stepping stone to actually buying a Moto Guzzi.

2) I currently have a modern baby guzzi small block and it's nice to know it's ancestors can go the distance like yours. It gives me hope mine will do the same. Although the modern suspension and brakes are definitely VERY NICE! Other than that, it's still a guzzi with a noisy valve train. I've just resigned myself that it's not a Honda but it is an addicting motorcycle, quirks and all.

3) I almost pulled the trigger on a 1971 Eldo police model a few of years back. Beautiful white with the hard bags, comfy solo seat, big wind screen, and running boards. Even had the trunk for the ticket book. Had low miles for a police bike I think it was just over 10K for an almost 50 year old bike. Still not sure why I didn't pick that one up.

4) I know this might be blasphemy for old bike owners but for every older vehicle I've owned (4 70's Honda, 1 1973 Triumph GT-6, 4 boats with Volvo Penta 4-bangers) if there was an electronic ignition set up for it, I sent the points and condenser set up out with Monday's trash pick up. I've never regretted that decision. None of them have ever missed a beat.

5) I find it ironic that someone mentioned a Harley owner said his old MG wasn't worth riding outside of town. Lest he forget about 1970's Harley, how often do you see one actually running and on the road like old MGs, Hondas, and BMWs? Even Triumph has bikes 1970's models still on the road. It was the 1970's that almost put Harley out of business for their lack of quality while everyone else was kicking motorcycle butt!

I'll be looking forward to your next trip report for sure. I am a 2 hour drive from Canada and I have been on some of the roads in eastern BC and western Alberta, talk about incredible. And good on you for riding across the prairies. I've driven them a few times and I don't even like driving a modern car across them! My wife's parents live in Yorkton, SK close to the Manitoba border. We have to make the trip every once in a while. Maybe, just MAYBE, someday we will do it on two wheels but I'm not holding my wife's breath!
    LeMaitre likes this.
  14. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Duanob. He doesn't post here, but for REAL old bike adventure travel, look up Des Molloy's books. "The Last Hurrah" and "No One Said It Would Be Easy" (available on Amazon. His trips (China to the Holland), and (Louisiana to southern South America) on his 1960's Panther 'Penelope' are inspirational. He recently completed a lap of Australia on the same bike he's been riding since the 1970's. New book in the works.

Nick
    zookster likes this.
  15. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nick,
    I just got through Neil Peart's Ghost Rider book. Kind of heavy stuff but it was a good read, I hardly put it down. Always looking for something to get me through the winter months. Come on Spring!
  16. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW. I forgot to mention that an expanded version of this trip report is contained within my latest book "Eldorado to the Klondike: Riding inappropriate motorcycles to out of the way places".
    It provides the context for this trip (various gearbox, clutch and engine repairs ahead of the journey), as well a chapters describing across Labrador on a Suzuki Burgman Scooter, and rides to the Saguenay region of Quebec and elsewhere on a 1976 Moto Guzzi Convert (Automatic). It's avalaible as a paperback, a Kindle download.............and coming soon, as an Audible audiobook.

Best

Nick
    Duanob and zookster like this.