West Coast Get together

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Gerg, Nov 7, 2003.

?

Do we need a westcoast gathering

1. Yes, a West Gathering would be cool

2. No, Colorado is close enough

3. Who cares?

4. East Coast is a bunch of wankers.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I see the easties are going to do another BMWBYOBFYYFF gathering so I was wondering (DANGER), do we want to do another westcoast gathering or will the Colorado get together cover it?

Whatcha think?

Gerg
  2. FrankF

FrankF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I say lets have the Left Coast get together AND the Colorado thang for those that want to travel further.

I just can't ride that far drunk.....
  3. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    I think Oregon is a great destination. Somewhere on the beach or a bit inland like say, NEAR YACHATS!!!!
    Hey Raindog...do ya got your ears on?!
    We've been talking about some sort of getogether thing for the PNW Advriders but I'm not opposed to mixing with the California crowd for entertainment! :evil
    Cheers,
    Jorge
  4. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Have ya considered Arkansas?
  5. dr650bc

dr650bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be in if the event is no further south than oregon. I would love to go farther, but my business doesn't allow much extended time off. I'm sure we could get mr cob, ruskie, hutchman and many of us canucks to join in.

our pnw rally in sept was great so canada is an option if you're not afraid of bears.
  6. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    he said west coast.
  7. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    he's probably rooting for that big earthquake!:rofl
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    OR/WA would be cool. Looking for another reason to ride to Rich's.
  9. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    my only complaint about oregon is what I keep hearing about their speed limits and enforcement policies... I remember what it was like in the 70s (note that I haven't driven in rural oregon since then), and from what all I've heard, nothing has changed. 55 MPH limit on a country road in the middle of godforsaken nowhere, and you can get popped for going 62.
  10. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm a simple sorta guy. I loved the Sierra event last year and would go for it be'n an annual event, same place, each year, like DV Daze is:dunno
  11. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    yeah, I'm with you. I had to miss the Sierra thing, and would love to get a 2nd chance to show up... :freaky :freaky

-jrp
  12. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Why don't we find out how far south the Southernmost and how far North the Northernmost Advriders on the West Coast (who are interested in attending) and find a midpoint.
    I only mentioned Raindog's place because he has access to a great place for camping (that we won't have a curfew issue with) and it's in a beautiful part of the world.
    WRT cops in Oregon:
    Oregon speed limit laws will be changing for rural roads soon. Until then, keep your eyes open, Valentine on, and pay attention.
  13. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    well, I'd say anywhere within a reasonable days ride of the greater SF Bay Area would be good for me, and ideally, a days ride thats not superslab all the way. I'm in Santa Cruz, which is on the coast just south of the SFBA...

if I slab it, pretty much all of California, Nevada, and Oregon fit in this range, even southern Idaho. Avoiding slab, its probably the Sierras.

If this event is mid-summer (july or whatever), it should be in a place thats not melt-down hot. This would tend to eliminate most of Nevada and Idaho.

Me, I'm mostly interested in paved riding (seeing as how `Roterblitz' is a R1100RS), obviously, the bulk of the AdvRiders want fireroads and such so they can test just how much abuse it takes to break their GS's swingarm pivots.
  14. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    Oregon sounds good to me. The eastern half tends to have much laxer speed enforcement then the coast or western valleys.
  15. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    isn't eastern oregon like 110F in the shade all summer? and rather barren?
  16. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:
    This is a good idea for the locals, then the big gathering in Colorado to see the whole clan would be really cool :drums
  17. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily. You get an alpine climate around Newberry Crater, it is usually quite temperate along the East slopes of the Cascades, The Blue Mountains out by Enterprise are very nice and there is a big lake out there. You have a wide range of climates and terraine to pick from.
  18. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    It's true and that's why I'm no fan of Oregon. I've never paid so much for going so slow. I won't be visiting my Mom and Brother for a while as a result. I won't even go into what one of those fucked up tickets ended up costing my daughter. She won't be traveling to see Mom & Bro either.

Has anyone else done the Willow Creek/Hayfork area? Or how about the Quincy area? Both areas have great riding to offer (on road, off road, dirt and gravel roads).

Stinez
  19. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I vote for meeting at Gerg's place :evil Tons of great rides of all kinds in the area and you can do 85+ all the way there.
  20. chain

chain All Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not just start a perpetual gathering that goes cross country and lasts all summer long we could have a meeting place somewhere different each weekend and just cross the continent Start in BC and finsh in Key West . :beer

would make for lotsa good company and lotsa great pics.
    can ya get the vision?