West Coast Get together

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Gerg, Nov 7, 2003.

?

Do we need a westcoast gathering

1. Yes, a West Gathering would be cool

2. No, Colorado is close enough

3. Who cares?

4. East Coast is a bunch of wankers.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Photogbiker

Photogbiker PDXGS Rider from afar

Oddometer:
    ...at the Oregon Coast ought to be sufficiently wet, but not cold. Mid June is probably better weather, but by then people are off different directions for the summer, and that is getting closer to the MOA in Spokane. Should be a handful of the PDXGS group in attendance.
  2. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    Can't we just meet at the Brain Bucket?

That place sounds great !!
  3. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    Sure. Uh..where is it? I dont know what the deal is but my GPS goes on the fritz whenever I get near the joint. I always lose the map I write down the directions on. And I cant remember how to get there, except for....it's that away... :dunno
  4. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    I think its somewheres in the hillls north of Song Dog Ranch.... Dunno where exactly, however.

HEY! how about a west coast Song Dog howlin' party for ADVriders? :evil

:dj
  5. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice place. I was thinking of doing a february cabin fever run down the coast. That would be a great destination
  6. Dick

Oddometer:
    Let me Google it!! Once I get the address then I can just use yahoo maps to put a route together. :getdown

How did we ever get along before the internet?
  7. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    Nope. DOesnt work. I have tried everything. Even that fancy garmin software comes back with..."Um over that way somewhere" and waves it's arows and such in a broad arc covering several states and a chunk of canada. The turn by turn directions end up being about a million waypoints all reading "Look for the sign"
  8. Dick

Oddometer:
    I'll keep looking - :smiler

Until I find it SongDog has been known to work miracles for me when I am feeling a little burnt.
  9. Chopperman

Oddometer:

:nod That's the whole idea my friend
  10. Dick

Oddometer:
    Hey Chop in my minds eye it looks something like this
    [​IMG]
  11. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    True but I've never seen that many 4-wheel'd vehicles there.
  12. Dick

Oddometer:
    Heh - somebody has to run the place and the locals need somewhere to drink :wink:
  13. pantaz

pantaz n00b

Oddometer:
  14. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
    For coastal Oregon, rain is almost a given in May. But still, those who have not been in Drizzle Pups area would be in for a treat. Tons of camping over there. And it is a days travel from just about anywhere in the Northwest.

For Eastern OR, the weather is more reliable in the late spring, than the coast.
    Very nice campground outside of Frenchglen. No traffic, killer DS routes.

Newberry Crater is an excellent area, with a few problems, snow lingers till early June in a dry year, later in a wet year. Cold at night up there till mid summer. Also bear problems.:huh

Bentspoke
  15. wesfnw

wesfnw portland,or

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...lets see...an "ADVENTURE RALLY" outside...Santa Barbera, Ca....at a ranch?! sounds real cushy to me. Maybe I'll bring the wife, kids, dog. Go into town do some shopping, stop by Starbucks...NOT!!!

GIMME THE "RIDIN WITH ANTELOPE ADVENTURE RALLY" in Southeast Oregon / N Nevada!!
    If you need facilities go to www.steensmountain .com. The real adventure types will be camping under the stars, eatin fresh caught fish, & soaking at the hot springs.
    Set up a poll & lets vote on a location. I vote for the "RIDIN WITH ANTELOPE RALLY"!
    wes:flush
  16. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Wes, don't sell the Songdog short. This is only 15 min away from there.
    [​IMG]
    30 min away
    [​IMG]
    an hour away
    [​IMG]
    Starbucks is an hour and a half away and I don't think your wife and kids are going to like those pit toilets too much
  17. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    its about an hours ride just to the nearest freeway (interstate 5, the Grapevine), and probably two hours to Santa Barbara, most of which is twisty back roads...

Song Dog is on the edge of Los Padres National Forest, at around 3500' elevation... the 'camping' is strictly "pick a spot near a sagebrush" and there's 100s of acres to choose from...

A "Song Dog" is a coyote, of which there are many to sing you to sleep.

The nearest tiny town, Cuyama, is 12 miles away, the ranch is several miles up a dirt road (albeit a smooth well graded one). Cuyama has a total population of around 100, a motel, and a coffeeshop... I'm not even sure there's a reliable gas station there, anyone coming down US101 should gas up in Santa Maria, about 75 miles away. Those coming down SR33 can gas in South Taft about 25 miles away.

Yeah, its just on the outskirts of Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara COUNTY, that is... SB County is like 2770 square miles, which is mostly near wilderness with the exception of a few (sub)urban corridors

anyways, I'm proposiing this in ADDITION to the various other potential left coast get-togethers... its a long riding season. I'm hoping we can do Hope Valley again, for sure I'm going to Death Valley next month, and I'd love to explore eastern Oregon. The reason I initiated a poll was, these guys at Song Dog put on a hell of a chicken/ribs/tritip BBQ for 30+ folks at $30/per, beats the hell out of having to pack our own meals in...
  18. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    I agree, Song Dog does not have to be the only west coast event. I'm all for a February so Chop can do his escape. I've added a post saying so on the Song Dog pole thread.

Gerg
  19. Ruskie

Ruskie Banned

Oddometer:
    I wanna go too:wave