1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

West Fest 2008 (8/8-10)

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by GSDude, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Godspeed, Mitch and condolences to your family. :cry
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:

:hide
  3. Bounce

Bounce Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was tragic and may Mitch find his highway at another level. A coupla years ago when riding to Cloudcroft, NM, I came across a gal who went wide on a tight corner and head ended into a pickup at speed and died on the scene. She wasn't riding with me, but it bummed me out for several days. The best healing for me was continuous riding in the mountains...the fresh air and sight scenes were God's way of reminding me that our surroundings were meant to be enjoyed and that our time in passing through them is only temporal.
  4. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:

:razor
  5. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    I'll take my share of this. We were trying to move things along since we had limited daylight left.
  6. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    My condolences and my wishes for peace go out to those who knew Mitch and will miss him, and to all riders who can't help but see that we are all at risk as we enjoy the wind flowing around us.
  7. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding out of town & pulled over for the emergency vehicles. I recall hoping that it wasn't a bike rider that they were going for. Ended up turning around & going back through town to the Texan. I never heard any mention of it afterwards so figured it wasn't.

No such luck. Godspeed Mitch.

Larry
  8. PharmerKyle

PharmerKyle navelgazer, sector7G

Oddometer:
    I saw his obituary a week or so ago and didn't even realize that he was headed to West Fest. I know a few people in town that are really torn up about this.
    I gotta re-think my passing strategies again...
    What a shame.
  9. enigmatic_redhabu

enigmatic_redhabu I really wanna be....

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    On Friday, August 8, 2008 we lost Dr. Mitchell Goldbaum in a tragic motorcycle accident. Born on October 22, 1959 in Oceanside, New York, he attended Camp Boiberik, Oceanside High School, and the State University of New York at Binghamton. He received his medical degree from New York Medical College. He worked as a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor in Colorado Springs for many years. His rare gift as physician and friend was to see a person's unique qualities and help them bring forth the brightest of themselves. Mitch leaves behind his beloved brother, Richard Goldbaum, nephew, Joshua Goldbaum, sister-in-law, Leslie Wright, and sister, Joanne Goldbaum. He also is beloved by his god-daughters, Mallory and Gemma Leopold Needle. His generous, loving and sometimes goofy heart created a network of friends, colleagues and patients all over the country who will miss his compassion and laughter. A memorial service will be held at 2:00 PM on Thursday, August 14 at Shove Memorial Chapel, 1010 North Nevada Avenue, Colorado Springs. Arrangements will be handled by Cappadona Funeral Home, 719-520 1817. Donations in his name may be made to the Zen Buddhist community in Colorado Springs which he helped to found, the Springs Mountain Sangha, c/o Joanne Goldbaum, 827 E. Kiowa, Colorado Springs, CO 80903.

Mitch was good friend of mine and one of my dearest Zen brothers.:cry:cry:cry

Mitch was lived in Green Mountain Falls with his older sister Joanne, which only 3 miles from my home. I saw him a few days before the west fest. I was truly shocked...when I found about an accident.

He will be miss.......

Jinny
  10. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    That was painful to read. Words can't express how it must have felt to face that aftermath.

RIP, Mitch...
  11. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    GSDude told us that someone had seen a crash on the way down. We had no idea that it was a brother on the way to Westfest. It could have been any of us. Man it is hard to read this. How many times have I/We passed cars and trucks that way. A few of us even got pulled by the Sheriff over on Friday for doing it on 550 near Engineer. Odds...
  12. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took this photo the first day of West Fest just past the top of Engineer Pass on the west side. I was impressed by the pearl-gray skies, the barrenness, the simplicity, the shadows falling off into abysses and the silhouettes of the motorcycles. Do you know if this is you?

Stu

Attached Files:

13. Stu

Oddometer:
    Here is a closeup of you guys. You might be able to remember that incredible landscape. I hope so. It was a point 'n shoot....

Stu

Attached Files:

14. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    The guy on the right in hi-viz is Brian, from San Diego. He roomed in our cabin, and was the guy who went over the edge on Engineer (see Meathead's RR).

Marc and I ran into a group on the way up and took a break - was Meathead, Brian, Ganshert, Sonny....and others. That's probably them.
  15. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    looks like us

Stu, can you email me the full size version?
  16. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    man....I can't believe I didn't notice Uli's headgear before :lol3
  17. Stu

Oddometer:
    This is the black & white version I did of this. Either file is pretty large to email. They are about 7mb. 16x20" with the picture inset at 11x14" (roughly).

Stu

Attached Files:

18. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Great shot!
  19. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How can you MISS Uli's headgear ?? :poser Reminds me of a Monty Python sketch where they,,,,,,,, O Never mind.

It's :thumb

Marc
  20. LaurieD

LaurieD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Peace and condolences to all who know and love and mourn Mitch. May we honor his memory by riding safe.

LaurieD