West Fest 2008 (8/8-10)

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by GSDude, Jul 29, 2007.

1. santaferider

santaferider The Argienaut

Oddometer:

:oscar
  2. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK Im in for that!
    Just sent my $ to join LOEBMW (Thanks Mark) So I will be there!
  3. Hair

Hair no wants or warrants

Oddometer:
    There is always a lot of talk about Moab and the greater Utah area. Maybe we should do a Adv weekend out there in the spring or the fall.
  4. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    Grey Devil took my bait and said he'd help out with WF 08...I'm thinking Lake City only because of all the accomodations available. Any input would be greatly appreciated....or you could tell me to fook off too.:lol3
  5. GS Dave

GS Dave Chicken Farmer

Oddometer:
    hey dude, Fook off, but lake city sounds great :freaky
  6. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    I know LC can handle the accomodations..

Oh, :fyyff

:lol3 :lol3
  7. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Here are some thoughts about this based on what I've learned from helping put on three of these big rallies that I think were all pretty successful. The first assumption is that this WestFest rally has become the defacto National ADVRider rally. There have been several other rallies, big or small, around the country in the past, but the WestFest rally tends to draw the most people from the most places. For example, we had folks come to Ouray from something like 47 different states, several Canadian provinces, Mexico and Australia. Because of that, to retain the National status, having it in a central place just helps more people from more places in the country get to it. Cromag's rally is a big one, but being stuck up there in the frozen northeast, it tends to be a Northeast rally. Likewise, some of the Sierra rallies tend to be Left Coast rallies (and have too many liberals in attendance, but that is another discussion :lol3). Since there isn't much good riding in the midwest, the Rockies tend to be the most central, best place to get the largest number of riders from the largest parts of the continent.

The rally site basically has to be based at a campground large enough to support this many people (300+), with cabins or other lodging ideally on site. There has to be enough indoor plumbing (toilets and showers) for this many people. Having motels and such close by helps as well. There needs to be a central place that everyone can get together that isn't just a large mud puddle. Lord knows there are enough riders who are happy to camp in the mud and drink warm Schlitz beer, but there has to be accommodations available for others as well.

The rally should be at a time of year conducive to riding as well. Being out in the desert in late July just isn't all that much fun. Likewise, you don't want to hit the hight of the monsoon season either, though that can be tough it you want to be in the mountains in the summer. The best time of the year to ride in the mountains is in the last half of June (though the passes may not be all open) or in September, but that time doesn't fit in with a lot of people's vacation schedules. Early July just seems to work best, but it is also the most crowded and facilities just may not be available (unless you get started NOW, GSDude...). :evil

Having some sort of on-site restaurant/cooking facilities helps as well. It is good to avoid people riding back to camp after going somewhere else for dinner and drinks because most people will NOT be cooking at the rally site. There needs to be local support for catering or rentals for BBQ, access to large quantities of liquor, nearby motorcycle shop support. The WestFest site in Buena Vista last year also had a fantastic covered area for people to eat and get together and for the various ceremonies.

It goes without saying that there has to be good riding of all kinds nearby. Good pavement twisties, single track, fire roads etc. For a rally that has become a national level rally to work, it has to draw in the largest cross-section of riders from the largest parts of the continent and support the largest number of riding preferences.

If you put a rally out on the coast or too far away from most people or don't have the facilities for a large scale rally like WestFest or don't support enough riding options, it just won't draw like WestFest. That is why, IMHO, Idaho City just didn't do as well as the other three WestFest Rallies. Good rally, a lot of fun, great riding, good people and organization, but it just didn't draw enough to be at the level of the other big rallies.

So, have something way out on the Left Coast, but it will draw just like the other Left Coast rallies do and it will just be another regional rally. We haven't even scratched the surface of potential rally sites in the Rockies that would be perfect for making the next one another national level event. All it takes is one or more riders to find the right place and make it happen. If it is the right place with great riding with the right facilities at the right time and the right preparations, it will be a big success, otherwise it will be another fun small regional rally. It takes more than just being in a place that is riding heaven, it also has to have everything else to make it a successful rally. So, if you want something in Moab or Lake City or Bozeman, find a campground facility that can take on 300+ riders.
  8. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    So what yer saying is that you'd like to help too??:hide

I don't mind helping or whatever as I have some resources to make it a success, I just want everyone to agree on the locale.
  9. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK Fook off:gerg

So Lake City???? Works for me....
    When do we leave? I gotta start packing:loaded
  10. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    I'll be happy to, um, help as a management consultant. I don't do heavy lifting...

You will NEVER get everyone to agree on a place or time. Just find a place that can handle the logistics and at a time when people can make it, then make it happen.

Oh, and none of the "I don't mind helping" crap. The rally needs a Grand Poobah in charge of making it happen. Do it or don't do it. :evil
  11. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    ever have a party and no one showed up? me either!:lol3
  12. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are volunteering to put on WestFest08!!!! :thumb :clap
  13. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    No sense in getting started now...however I am gonna investigate a few places..

If I do commit, I'll be expecting some non-back breaking help from some vets.:lol3
  14. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I'll second the nomination from my esteemed Colorado Colleague. :deal
  15. balance

balance Long timer

Oddometer:
    So much for keeping that on the down-low... :bluduh

:lol3

Obviously this'll be my first rally to help out with and sure I'll kick myself later, but in regards to what FatChance mentioned, anything west of the Rockies may be difficult to attend for those east of the Rockies - primarily those with limited time, money, etc. - and may result in lower turnout.

The company I work for works closely with a national advertising business that does large volume swag (t-shirts, mugs, pens, whatever) printing. I'll gladly help out with t-shirt ordering/distributing once a date, location and design have been nailed down.

Scott
  16. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Well done. Shall we put this to a vote, my esteemed New Mexico Amigo?

Aye! :thumb

:evil

There, that was easy! :evil
  17. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Yeah spent Monday/Tuesday in Moab. 100 degrees was just a bit warm. I would have rather had the Sipapu rain.:evil

The White Rim would make a good DS ride though.......

Hope one of you FF's takes the reigns on this. I'm too far east. Would love to join the party again next year.

Dave
  18. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    I'm for Lake City, Co!
  19. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Mark and I have more advice than you could ever imagine for how to do all of the work that you are going to have to do... :rofl
  20. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    Aw, come on.. I saw about a zillion Beemers at West Fest and damn near every one had a set of hard panniers. Stop in Gallup, Page, or Mesquite and load up on hootch. Invade Mormonville with our own stuff and bypass the State Owned Booze Store Boogie.

Fuck Moab, though. Too damn expensive. Keep it cheaper.

Chip