West Harrison lake road current road conditions

Discussion in 'Canada' started by GrizzLee, Jul 2, 2019.

1. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Was maybe planning a ride up that way this weekend. Any one have some recent intel?
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fellow I work with says there’s a washout 1/2 way up, and is not going to be fixed this season. Perhaps local experts can confirm this.
    Rocket Richie likes this.
  3. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
  4. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard a week ago the bridge repairs have started but are not expected to be completed until Aug sometime. the creek is still too high to ride through but starting to moderate to where 2 guys could walk a bike across.
  5. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

No go until later. That interactive map from the Chiliwack site was very useful.

Many thanks.
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chatted to Rocket Richie today. He says the washout crossing is doable but risky. Fast moving water, probably 2+ feet deep, around 40’ crossing. I’d do it with my 320ib Honda , with buddies nearby. No way I’d do it alone on my 600ib 1200ib GS.
  7. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t imagine there will be drastic changes for the better in the next two weeks? I didn’t really have a plan B for my Bella Coola trip. The only other option is to take the Fraser canyon Hwy and find dirt ASAP.
  8. TooFarGone

TooFarGone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    West Harrison is open with a new bridge over Bremner Creek we rode it yesterday. The road is in good shape with only a couple of loose hills that could pose a challenge on a fully loaded bike.
    Rocket Richie, Allrpm and Holaday like this.
  9. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Thanks... will head up that way soon.
  10. Allrpm

Allrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A guy from DSBC passed us heading south as we were going up and said on the FB page that after us he must have seen another 20 bikes!

RPM
    Rocket Richie and TooFarGone like this.
  11. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good news! Except for the busy part. Normally the road isn’t too challenging for loaded bikes. Is it worse than normal due to lack of traffic?
  12. Allrpm

Allrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right after the bridge there are a few hills with loose rocks and gravel that may be a bit of work for some guys after that the route is really very easy. The biggest hazard on this road is traffic and the dust that follows. You got to ride it expecting a guy in his pick-up thinks he is in the Dakar and is flying around the corners on your side of the road! (Almost see it every time) After that, it makes for a good loop to or from Vancouver with a few cool things to see along the way. Like this old '47 GMC in the bush at Port Douglas. truck.jpg

RPM
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I was just across East Harrison from Boston Bar to Harrison Hot Springs last week. Missed hearing about this being open so we took pavement instead, DAMN!

East Harrison has some very challenging sections of Baby heads and two washout like pictured. That and countless drainage trenches across the road bed where the roadbed still exists. Don't do this on your own north of the dam. South of that it is fine.

_MG_0944.jpg
    There was miles of this stuff and some on steep hills.

_MG_0947.jpg
    One of two washouts. Passable for almost anything.

_MG_0952.jpg
    Just south of the Dam.

_MG_0954.jpg
    Getting close to Sasquatch Provincial Park.

I was on a 1090 loaded up but had broken ribs from a crash the week before just for reference. It may have made the crossing more challenging than normal. It was also raining for most of the run which made the parts with surface soft and with lots of puddles.
    Rocket Richie, goforth, MRCL and 2 others like this.
  14. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode through West Harrison northbound this week. The traffic wasn't bad at all, but the exposed pit run rock sure makes for a rough ride!!