West Harrison Rd Conditions

Discussion in 'Canada' started by johnnyadventurepants, May 29, 2012.

1. johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably going to ride up West Harrison Rd this Sat, June 2. Can anyone give me the current conditons? I looked at some government site that said: " April 2012: No vehicle access at 64 km due to rockfall and washout barriers." Passable on a bike? Can we make it up to Pemberton? Snow? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Big Bad Ron

Big Bad Ron Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is open and in good shape.
    Was through there last sunday May 27 I went to Meager Ceek and back over 600ks. There is 10ks near the north end of the lake that is a little ruff. If you are a half assed rider go for it.
  4. tinpusher

tinpusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm new to riding and optimistically only quarter assed. Can you describe how tough that north 10k section is?
  5. Big Bad Ron

Big Bad Ron Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How big or little is your bike?
    If you are going on a big bike, I would say you are not ging to have fun, But on a smaller bike you should be fine.
    (Don't go alone)

Ron
  6. tinpusher

tinpusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a F800GS. Maybe I'll get some experience off road first.
  7. johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My advice is definitely go with someone else. I rode it on a Saturday with a buddy and only saw one other person near the northern part of the lake. There are plenty of recreationalists near the southern part of the lake, but if something were to happen at the northern part of Harrison Lake where there are a couple of rocky climbs, it is a long way out either north or south. And the 800 GS will do great on this road!
  8. Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Squamish and would love to ride Harrison west side, I am riding an f800, bit of a noob but not afraid to try. maybe monday july 2 if the weather improves????any interest?
  9. tinpusher

tinpusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're going this Monday-Tuesday (Sept.17-18) if you are free.
  10. Kerschbaumer

Oddometer:
    Cool, unfortunately I am super busy with work these days. I did do the ride a few weeks back, was nice loop. If you have time go for a soak at Sloquet hot springs. Was a full day tho'
  11. tinpusher

tinpusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're planning on camping overnight near the hot springs. How did you find the steep rocky hills at the North end of the lake, everybody mentions it.
  12. Kerschbaumer

Oddometer:
    No sweat as long as you have decent tires and you keep some momentum, thats the key. Even if you do stall on the up its no drama, nothing like some of the stuff up in the chilcotins I got dragged through this summer, and even that was fine
  13. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    ill be on west harrison today :D
  14. tinpusher

tinpusher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How was it?
  15. Backcountryboy

Backcountryboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be doing the trip this coming Friday. Will let you know
  16. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    overalll great, I rode a DRZ was fine, most is graded beyond what anyone here likes. there is some loose hills that would not be fun on a GS size bike. I did talk to two guys in route, one on klr on a GS, I might of been able to trade my DRZ for the GS straight across right then as it didnt look like he was having fun. if on a GS size bike make sure you have dirt skills

did some side trips, one I went to Port douglas at north end of harrison lake, met the caretaker , got the 5c tour of a piece of BC history. I'll post more well worth a side trip
  17. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:

I recently rode the West Harrison on a fully loaded R1200 GSA... I was nervous... mainly because I saw no other people. If I got hurt, it may have been awhile before help arrived. I am interested in your side trip. I had not time for such side trips.

I have a RR (in progress right now) posted here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826036

Direct link to my video log: http://youtu.be/sScamxU19no

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sScamxU19no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Regards,
  18. Backcountryboy

Backcountryboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode up the Harrison road today. Road is in fairly good shape, all but 10% could be ridden on anything up to a GS (and even the last 10% if you are skilled and brave, see the above post). About 10kms was a bit harder, requiring some skills, good tires and decent ground clearance. Lots of sharp shale sections. I was on my KLR and it was a nice, fun ride with the fall colours starting to come out. Left Delta this morning at 8:45am and got to Whistler at 3pm with a number of short stops thrown in. Only saw 3 other vehicles until the last 25km section to the Duffy Lake Road. The light rain last night kept the dust down for most of the ride.
  19. travellinman

travellinman n00b

Oddometer:
    Rode solo up the West Harrison yesterday, Oct 2. More traffic up to about Km 50 due to the run of river hydro project they are putting in there. Be careful, some of those workers come around the corners on the wrong side. The new bridge at Bremner Creek is great, well built and should be there for many years. The steep hill that is a couple of kilometres past the bridge has baby head boulders all over it and that big boulder that was embedded in the hill about 3/4 the way up is still there. Makes a tough go. I ended up hitting the boulder and stalling out. Bike would just dig down when trying to start again on that grade so had to walk beside it while I powered it up to a better grade, but I made it by myself! Backside of that hill also has the same boulders on it but not so steep so totally doable. The rest of the road is rough but perfectly fine. New gas station / convenience store in Tipella at the north end of the lake has friendly people at it if you need a break. Checked out Port Douglas, then went to T'sek Hotsprings for a well earned soak and relax time before continuing on to check out the historic church in Skatin and then out to Mt Currie and blasted back to the coast. IMG_6100.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

Attached Files:

shuswap1, squonker and Lycan1 like this.