West Koots

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Apr 2, 2015.

1. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Other West Kootenay Riders ?

West Koots is maybe more person than place. Just :D

Last week. Above Arrow Lake, north of Castlegar.

[​IMG]
    DualSport855 likes this.
  2. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not plated yet. Waiting for higher elevations to be snow free, more dirt, less pavement.

Morning low of ZERO isn't too inviting either although the scene in your pic is. :D
  4. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    The afternoon of the pic was 19c ... very nice. I went up Cayuse Creek FSR and did not hit snow. But did not go all the way as I ran out of time. I will have another look this weekend.

Peein in me Creek eh? LOL ... well just so happens I will be takin the dog for a drink there in about an hour! Pass Creek that is. :lol3
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Raining and trying to SNOW as I type! :cry :puke1

How far up Cayuse did you venture?
  6. H96669

Oddometer:
    Wasn't bad today here.:wink: Just got out of my Stanfields.And just a little more mud on my bike/boots....:rofl

Looks good for next week!:clap...I guess I'll stop in Lemon Creek for a piss as usual and then on to Pass Creek Rd. for another one.:lol3 Castlegar then backtrack to Thrums and pick up Borscht & sausages and then up to Rossiland.

Yep....at this time of the year I don't see many ADV type bikes on the roads. Mostly cruisers.....:deal
  7. Import

Import Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was a little fresh out of the sun on the bak roads round here....but sooooooooo nice to be riding again...
  8. H96669

Oddometer:
    Fresh...??? Much warmer this morning at 460m than yesterday. 4C!:clap

Looking up the hill....trees are covered with white stuff just another 150m or so up.:wink:

I hope the gate is open just so I don't have to squeeze lift and push the little bike between the post and cliff.:D

I think I can still ride between the piles of Elk droppings.:lol3
  9. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Only about 6 km. this was after work and I just ran out of time. Will head out that way, or Norn's on Sunday and see where the snow is.
  10. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Forecast looks awesome this week again. Not hard to tell that urine the Kootenays ... eh?
  11. H96669

Oddometer:
    Yep...stop at that old service station on the way to Syringa/Cayuse and take pics. Interesting yard that looks like it has been locked up "as it was" many years ago.:evil

What I really should do is put the big thumper back together and ride it if just to wear out them knobbies it came with.Not that the K1200RS hasn't seen its share of Kootenay gravel roads and FSRs.:lol3

Well....lets go see where the snow really is, I might see the elks or even better the goats.:clap
  12. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Snow is about 100 meters up Mt Sentinal looking above Pass Creek Rd. Lots of Elk there too. 3c here. Check out my weather station below here in beautiful downtown Raspberry !:D

Enjoy your ride.
  13. H96669

Oddometer:
    Best guess...my little bike isn't GPS equipped. 700/750m for the fresh stuff.:D

I should have brought my new piece of Stihl equipment. No Huskies up there so I didn't have to sing a little Zappa at the end of the road.I did sing anyway!:lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite a few push and pull over trees and some "walk it under"....:evil

[​IMG]

Oh well back home so the sun is out over the hills by now. You are safe down there I don't piss in the creek, just the creek(ette):lol3....lets go see if I can find snow with the road/dirty bike.:clapMaybe I'll take a leak in Trout Lake and send it the other way....:rofl

[​IMG]

250's....650's? Please do not bring them up there, I'd rather not do rescue calls.:eek1 Last one was an ATV but the one before just some city guy who locked himself out of his Ford truck and didn't even know the code to open his doors.:lol3 Long climb down for help!:D

Road is sure poopy....!:DCould be the same ones, they like to follow the powerlines.:wink:

[​IMG]
  14. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a little over 3 weeks ago up Cayuse, thinking you are not getting much past the top of the hill around 8 k up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    You are right. The road fork just past 8 km. just past the turn to the falls. Not a lot of snow but enough.

But the sheep were up making avalanches near the blind corner. Mom and this little one just watching. Ratty looking sheep this time of year.

[​IMG]
  16. H96669

Oddometer:
    Snow....salt and salty mud!:eek1:eek1:eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bike is in need of an Easter water flush today and so are my boots.:lol3 A few more days I guess I'll make it to Trout lake, I don't think any bike could have handled that very slippery mud so I did turn around very carefully.:eek1 Road is still frozen under that salty muck "up there".:D

I should have gone straight up North for Poutine. But the boat rides weren't too appealing yesterday and neither were the clouds up that way.:rofl

[​IMG]

And for the ones picky about the type of fuel they use in their bikes and worry about their range, NO fuel in Fauquier.:eek1 I don't like the local rumor that this may be it for fuel sales there, they did have Premium and not that I care when I am running low, I'll make my BMW drink anything anywhere, even the stuff out of the gravity pumps in Trout lake.:evil
  17. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Ugly looking mud!
    Too bad about Fauqhier gas closing. First the Mushroom closed and now maybe the gas. Shame as it was a jive stop on the way back from Vernon
  18. H96669

Oddometer:
    I'll doublecheck on that the gas in Fauquier.Local rumors are often just that and they came from the old coot/neighbor anyway.:lol3 But that's what happened with Roger at the Mushroom, hardly ever had gas toward the end and was always complaining about how much it did cost to fill the tanks.Not too reliable that was.

But yes I screwed up in my gas cans rotation and had to split my gas between the bikes/mower so went down there to replenish and NO gas.

Otherwise yes I'd have to fill up at Franks and may have to eat a "pecan butter tart" or two while there.:rofl

Want more ugly mud? Nice clean looking enduro just went up the road, that means up the FSR just a few hundred feet up from here. He came back within 10 minutes.:wink: I know what's up there around 1,800m. But not at this time of the year.:eek1
  19. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Where is this Franks? I loves me some pecan butter tarts !
  20. sector

sector Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone checked out the Old Cascade Hwy or the Rail Grade?