1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

West Koots

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Apr 2, 2015.

1. SSPhoto

SSPhoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a gated road before the bulldog tunnel (castlegar side) that goes down to Shields. To get to Renata from Castlegar, take the rail grade to the bull dog tunnel, turning right just before the tunnel. Take a left shortly after and climb up a little bit, followed by a right on the Bulldog FSR. Follow that road up Bulldog mountain and down the other side to Renata. As far as I know, there's no gates on that one.
    Holaday likes this.
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The GPS track:

Attached Files:

3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the Google Earth ready version, just have to save, then rename removing the .gpx ending

Attached Files:

4. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Sent you a message re Corbin
  5. Rabble

Rabble mountain boy

Oddometer:
    Now on the Duncan FSR you can only go as far up as the the fork for the Westfall river. That's at 80 km. All bridges and culverts have been pulled above there on both roads.
    sector likes this.
  6. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    great day today, I doubt I will ride the 501 much anymore.
    PXL_20210516_164025912.jpg PXL_20210516_164411773.jpg PXL_20210516_170929179.jpg
    MGV8 likes this.
  7. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure I can like that response
    sector likes this.
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Yeah....old trapper wrote a letter last year in the Valley Voice letter to the editor.Valley Voice being the local weekly paper published in New Denver.He lost his access to that area but blamed the govt who apparently sprayed the trees to prevent bugs infestation.

As per him most of the wildlife has now disappeared following the spraying and the roads are now deactivated so the general public can't go that way and notice the missing wildlife.
  9. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now you're talking " Big Brother " Damn I love a good conspiracy
  10. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    All the Valley Voice are posted online.If you like conspiracies you could go read the "letters to the editor" and try to find his?

Probably lost amongst all the pro/con Covid conspiracy letters?

https://valleyvoice.ca/valley-voice-online/
    MGV8 likes this.
  11. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, the letters are usually quite entertaining. But why else would they have gone to the trouble and expense of hauling all that perfectly good infrastructure out of there? Enquiring minds want to know.
  12. ggrant

ggrant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Roads are deactivated for a few reasons:
    - culverts and bridges are removed and waterbars and crossdrains are installed on roads to restore original drainage patterns and stabilize the road prism. This reduces downslope movement of sediment. Usually includes revegetation of disturbed mineral soil.
    - reduce hunting pressure on wildlife.
    - public safety; if roads are not maintained they deteriorate over time and become unsafe. steel structures last a long time but if bridges have wooden decks they rot eventually, even treated wood.

Spraying of young forests is usually to reduce deciduous (aspen) competition with the crop trees, not insecticide.

No conspiracy. Hope this helps.
    MGV8 and KootsMike like this.
  13. SSPhoto

SSPhoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The road up the Duncan was pulled to help caribou rehabilitation. That's what I heard anyways. Laughable after the shit show that is the reservoirs and logging that's gone on in the area over the last 60+ years.
  14. sector

sector Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, there is deactivation, and then there's deletion. Sounds like this road got deleted, if they were actively pulling out bridges. Tax payers subsidized, if not built that road in the first place.:dirtdog When I was up there, just south of the Glacier Park boundary after riding for a long way, seeing nothing but bear scat, came around a corner and a bunch of cars were parked at a trail head. Plenty of people way up there using the trail for recreation (hiking). :beerThere was (and still likely is) a 20x20 ft newish building there on the road. Now, from what I understand, a heli-access only exclusive lodge went in up above there on the summit. Don't know any more than that, but if anyone knows more, I'm curious. So, the gov't spends our money to hire people to destroy the access. Yeah, I get it, safety and all. And, logging destroyed the Caribou habitat, not hikers and motorcyclists, or recreation, for that matter.
    devildogg, MGV8 and Ymirtrials like this.
  15. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bingo. Yet who gets pulled from these areas? Yup you guessed it, recreation....Hate to turn our happy thread into a rant but don't get me started on this Caribou crap.:devildog
    devildogg and MGV8 like this.
  16. sector

Oddometer:
    There used to be access to the top of Healy Creek from the Duncan Road, up Hall Creek. I don't know if it was only a hiking trail, or an old mining road. You can see the remnants of mining roads down into the top of Hall Creek with Google Earth. An impossible pipe dream would be to re-open Healy Creek Rd and push down to the Duncan via Hall Creek. What a riding loop that would make! World Class!
  17. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ooooh.....great project idea! Too bad its just a bit of a trek from the house for me...
  18. sector

Oddometer:
    From your photos, I thought you bring your "home" with you when you go ride.:thumb Yeah, you would definitely want to setup a home base in the area and ride it from there.
  19. summitx

summitx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That route is close to in. There may be some issues with using the section on the Duncan side with motorized as it was improved up the valley a few years ago I believe with some grant $. We descended from the Healy summit into Hall to a good sized rock slide on the road. Would take a few hours work but you certainly could continue. We did not have time. Not far from that point to the trail head in the valley. Not sure the hall creek section is ride friendly but it was an old road.
  20. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ggrant, thanks for the info, it sounds like you are involved in a related industry of some sort. Road deactivation is still a somewhat mysterious concept. I don't understand the financial argument for medium term deactivation, to spend all that money and energy to remove bridges which will then have to be trucked back in whenever logging resumes, mystifies me. Or will there never again be any logging? That's pretty pretentious for one government to decide what will happen for all the rest of time. And deactivation prevents public access to the public lands, OUR public lands. Since logging companies became responsible for the maintenance of the roads in their TFLs, there hasn't been a good plan for maintaining those roads without any active logging. Thus those roads may eventually deteriorate, potentially to a dangerous state. Is this a case of saving our pennies today to have to spend our children's dollars later?

I see the hunting argument as specious, hunting is controlled by the tag system. Those hunting without a tag are poaching, wherever thay do so.

I see the Tangiers FSR is now deactivated too.