West Koots

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Apr 2, 2015.

1. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Two R80's in a row !! One of my all time fav bikes :clap Hijack away !
  2. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Ixheimer I've ridden an G/S up that road from the Arrow park ferry to Shelter Bay. Not a bad route but few campsite options. One not to miss is Fosthall point.

Ps. Skied Sliver Star since 1960.
  3. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya it was me that posted the sled/ski pictures, many years doing that now never even made it to the resort this year, except once in Rossland. Love the pic of the R80 with skis, I have always wanted to show up skiing somewhere with the KTM. I was considering doing some touring up the Salmo Creston might need a worthy accomplice someday :lol3 road is clear this time of year and the snow still looks fun. You look like one of those silly skiers that cant decide which ski is your downhill ski, tele?
  4. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sled is impossible to cost justify but it sure does allow access to some good skiing , you can almost always find fresh stuff, like this day :clap Sorry for the Hijack but there is only one thing I live more than my motorcycles, other than family

[​IMG]

Then there are the views
    [​IMG]
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please excuse me for saying, but I couldn't help but notice that the pictures show scenes of extreme frickin' cold-ness. And that white stuff covering everything troubles me immensely.
  6. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!

:thumb :thumb

7. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Snow about 7km up Norn's Road at 922 meters. I was surprised how much.

The swimming hole just off Norn's

[​IMG]
  8. Ixheimer

Ixheimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. The plan was to see if I can get up near Sol Mountain, so heading west on FSRs after crossing the lake & filling the tank. I've been up to Sol in the winter for back country skiing. I just had another look at the map & it looks like I'd be better off approaching from Revelstoke rather than Needles, with the iffy fuel situation at Fauquier. If there was fuel at Needles, I wouldn't have to take the ferry, just head north from there on the west side of the lake.

GPS tracks of my Jan 2015 trip to Sol
    [​IMG]

The seed to ride up for a ski with motorbike was planted many moons ago. I was in Europe, Hintertux Austria to be exact, summer skiing on the glacier with some buddies. This Austrian dude rode up to the parking lot on a smoking 2 stroke dirt bike (perhaps even a KTM) with his girlfriend on the back. He was wearing a Tyrolean hat instead of a helmet & 3/4 length lederhosen. I think the girlfriend was holding the skis. Might have been riding with his ski boots on too, not sure, such a long time ago. With respect to how I slide down the hill, check my avatar, yes, I get smelly, I tele. That doesn't alter which ski is the downhill one though! It will always be the outer one, unless things go horribly wrong.

Wasn't the best winter for skiing this year, either at the resort or in the back country. Nevertheless, Aaron Cooperman of Sol Mountain Touring kept us entertained by hamming it up in the Monashees.
    [​IMG]
  9. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl Very true but considering that the Lotto Max Gods have not looked favorably upon me I still work in the middle of the Rocky Mountains and need to make the best out of each season. And besides it gives me the much needed time for bike maintenance :lol3
  10. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sol Mountain, I work with one of the owners wife, small world, she keeps bugging me to go up there, haven't made it yet but maybe soon
  11. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that would sum up my Tele experience in deep snow :lol3
  12. Ixheimer

Ixheimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My other scoot, north of Slocan Lake in the West Koots, to keep the thread on track.
    [​IMG]

I'm OK dealing with distinct seasons, including cold & snow. Rain, not so much. It's why I generally avoid the coast & don't venture south to Aridzona in November like some of my friends.

Putting the right foot forward at Icefall Lodge 2008. Photo credit to my fellow telemarketer Glenn.
    [​IMG]

Sol Mountain Lodge January 2007
    [​IMG]
  13. Bbrreenntt

Bbrreenntt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there!

Stoked to have found this thread! I live in Nelson and am definitely looking for some people to go riding with!!

Glad there are some others here!

:clap:clap:clap
  14. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    PM sent to you
  15. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Looks like it is going to get hot after all the rain !
  16. Nomadic

Nomadic Long timer

Oddometer:
    South West corner of the Great White North
    This is great stuff. I am heading that way on Friday. Staying in Nakusp Friday night and Nelson Saturday night. Looking forward to it.
    Is the road between New Denver and Kaslo paved or gravel? I thought it was paved but I think I read somewhere that its gravel (maybe I'm mistaken about that). Is that the road to take or would it be better to go north from Nakusp and around through Trout Lake? I have great tires for street use (Battlax T30`s) but I am unsure how they would handle gravel.
  17. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if there is a gravel option from New Denver to Kaslo, but yes, the road joining those 2 towns is paved, decently, and, is arguably noted as one of the greatest motorcycle roads in Canada.
  18. Nomadic

Nomadic Long timer

Oddometer:
    South West corner of the Great White North
    Sweet. That's what I wanted to hear. Definitely looking forward to it. :D
  19. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yah it's an OK road :evil
    [​IMG]

Don't forget to bring extra cash
    [​IMG]
  20. coleman1495

coleman1495 n00b

Oddometer:
    I was born and raised in Edgewood. Have ridden pretty much everywhere in that area.

Fauquier can be hit or miss for fuel. They were routinely running out of gas for a bit.

Edgewood has marked premium at the pumps. Not legal for road use though.