West Koots

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Apr 2, 2015.

1. SSPhoto

SSPhoto n00b

Oddometer:
    Any chance you have a GPS track for the connector from Cayuse to Grizzly?
  2. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    No sir but I would gladly show you the way, need to take a little chainsaw next time. we never went all the way over, we had an issue so we went back and over Norns
  3. munsterlander

munsterlander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    Was thinking of doing a pavement ride up to Mica Dam. Is it worth it in terms of scenery and road quality? We'd come up from WA, probably to Osoyoos and on up. Any thoughts?
  4. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its a nice drive, but in terms of scenery, when we went up last year we found that there was not a lot to see, as the bush has grown up considerably, between road and lake, blocking the view for a lot of the route. But, as I said, it's a pleasant drive.
    JD
  5. munsterlander

munsterlander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  6. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I was up there a few weeks ago.Didn't see the Caribous but the signs were flashing so they were around.Saw a few bears however.

Came up on a curve and hit some fresh chip seal at xxxKm/h.Not funny.....got a whiff of fresh tar at the same time my bike started weaving in the loose chips.No warning signs either.

300km from the junction and back so make sure you have enough gas.
    munsterlander likes this.
  7. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
  8. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Was a great day for it between the storms last Friday.

[​IMG]
  9. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    That’s a very pristine looking BMW. What year?
  10. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    It was just last week.
    baekdongmul and Bayner like this.
  11. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :jack
    northerndancer and 250senuf like this.
  12. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ymirtrails sorry you couldn't make it, was great fun. We went from my place over grizzly down to passmore then Frogs Peak for lunch and back over Norns/Ladybird. A little bit of mayhem some mechanical issue's which were resolved in a way I can't believe. As soon as we got on the Grizzly Creek road the KTM decided, it wasn't going to go any farther, the front sprocket moved off the counter shaft, there was no washer behind the bolt to be seen, don't no where it went it how it came off, the solution ???? make a circlip out of a key chain and put it around the counter shaft bolt. he was able to ride all the way home including over Ladybird :wings

Attached Files:

econwatch, Lornce and sector like this.
  13. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the water picture and the reflection
  14. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a great day, mechanical issues and all. I ended up getting a good alpine ride in on Sunday with a group on the trials bikes, perfect weather and amazing terrain. We were up in the Kaslo area, I’d have to get out a topo to say exactly where we went as we were following a local...
    We even got up to an old mine just below the peak of a mountain, pretty cool. 54D48B64-34EF-4E0F-9F1B-0195D486A83D.jpeg 94DC9706-1372-4531-9A9D-0DC95D6EA619.jpeg 8A16F952-6088-4D66-9FB1-223350300EDD.jpeg
    knight, Lornce, Hill Climber and 4 others like this.
  15. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any chance of a regular rider and bike getting there Ymirtrials? Or is it a trials bike thing? And if so are y’all allowed to divulge the starting point?
  16. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    I think you could get most of the way up to the mine on a big bike, all the way up if you ride like Jarvis! The we went up the same road that you access the Secret creek trail and its the peak to the south east of Mt Secret....edited....
    Hill Climber likes this.
  17. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please, do not take a big bike up into the alpine. Trials leave a very small footprint and big bikes leave trenches.
    If we start telling people how to gain access to the alpine, it'll look like shit and guaranteed, environmentalists will complain and these areas will be shut down.

Ymirtrials, please edit your post and delete the directions as to how to access this area.
  18. sector

sector Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder, Hill Climber. I love to ride in the alpine, but always leave my bike on the existing road and put on my hiking shoes if I want to go farther. I've seen lots of examples where dirt bikes ride straight up the hill and their single track turns into an eroded rut after just a bit of weather. The alpine is fragile!! There are plenty of roads that will get you right up there, so enjoy with respect and care!!
    Hill Climber likes this.
  19. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    Hill Climber,
    I completely agree that we need to treat alpine areas with care and we always need to be aware that other trail users may have the false perception that all motorized use causes damage. The mine that I described above can be accessed to within a kilometre by a quad and only the last 1000meters is a challenge best suited to a trials bike. (Or Jarvis on a big bike). The photo I posted above that showed a meadow below a peak is a totally different drainage that there will be no mention of here.
    I did edit my post above....however since you quoted my original post it is there still.
  20. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ymirtrials
    I quoted your post so you'd be notified that I did so. I edited my post and deleted the quote.
    I've seen what dirt bikes can and have done in areas north of Kaslo, not by locals but by guys that live 300 KM's and more from the area. A group of us were in the area and met the yahoos that were ripping it up... none of them would remove their helmets as we had done. These guys were pros, and were clawing their way up stuff that left our mouths wide open. Raw power and speed was their method. Stuff that a trials bike would've had issues with. We still figured out who they were though.
    We live in a paradise and hopefully we can keep most of it that way.
    Thanks again
    Ymirtrials likes this.