West Koots

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Apr 2, 2015.

1. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    So true I didn't mention in my post the most annoying part of the ride, you come out of the timber into a nice meadow it has one small trail across the east side which I find acceptable, sad part some douche in a quad/side by side whatever, had to leave the trail and burn a donut. first thought was to rant about it on social media but that would only bring more attention to the area. You can get there from the slocan side on a dirt road I may go up there a post a sign in regards to staying on the trail. I suspect though same said douche would just rip it down.
  2. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Have to admit, the idea of a Trials bike is really taking hold with me. Thanks for the pics guys. Awesome.
  3. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 of us heading into your neck of the woods on big bikes (990R and 1090) with little to no plan other than a few routes. Just checking in on the back way up between Sandon and Retallack (haven’t been back in a couple years), Gray creek pass and K&S trail ?

Just looking for any info if things have changed , area closures , wild samsquatches , teams of bikini model rapists on the loose.

If I’m letting any cats out of the bag let me know and I’ll edit this post ASAP and delete the offending route.

I’m from Kamloops area , if you have anything you’d like to add for a guy to see or share it would be greatly appreciated , and always reciprocated. I don’t mind putting people on the right tracks in my regular riding area. Heading that way tomorrow , staying in Nelson Friday night kinda thing.

PM if you like or post here if you don’t mind sharing up. I’ll post a few pics when I’m done.

I really do love the Kootenays it’s just not my back yard so I thought I’d ask.

Thank you for reading and any help you may have.
    Cheers
  4. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had plans to do the K&S then on to Sandon and Retallick (Reco Mnt) last weekend but plans fell through. We've had some high winds come through, so hopefully the quads have gone through and cleared any trees down. The Sandon to Reco ridge is usually cleared of trees fairly quickly, but the K&S is a bit slow to be cleared as not too many riders go through that way. I understand Grey Creek is open.

Dam, I had no idea there might be bikini clad model rapists on the loose! Maybe I have to slow down and be a little more observant....
    Lurkerlou likes this.
  5. Lurkerlou

Oddometer:
    Hill Climber thanks so much for the heads up , I’ll be pulling the hand saw off the dirty bike pack and bringing it along.

A couple weeks ago a buddy and I in Kamloops stumbled across a female topless dog walker when exiting the bush into a clearing , I’d have got a better look if the first thing I didn’t see was her black lab coming at me from out of the corner of my eye. I seriously thought I was being charged by a black bear but after the first roost I could hear her dog whistle and her yelling for the dog to come back. My buddy got a better look at the free range chickens.

My point , there’s a first time for everything.

That K&S trail and Reco Mtn we just kinda stumbled upon watching for squiggly lines on the GPS years ago.

Thanks for the advice , love any help I can get in the fun direction.
  6. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We ran into quite a few hikers out there last weekend and they were all fully dressed, good thing too because I don’t think it would have improved my day any if they weren’t! :nah
    Hill Climber and Lurkerlou like this.
  7. DualSport855

DualSport855 Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Calgarian currently on assignment in Houston TX.
    Visiting from Houston, today I did Six Mile Lakes to Lemon Creek and back on the slab. What a great loop!
    IMG_2964.jpg
    yamalama, Lornce, Revelstoker and 2 others like this.
  8. Lurkerlou

Oddometer:
    I think we may have crossed paths , Saturday night you were headed toward Nelson and we were leaving Nelson.

Great looking 701.
    DualSport855 likes this.
  9. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Lurkerlou Curious if you did the K & S trail and/or the Sandon/Retallack run. If you did, were there any trees down?
  10. Lurkerlou

Oddometer:
    Long and short of it , we did a bunch of trails up Mt Reco and over toward the mining claim too and there were a few trees across the trail, one we managed to drag off the trail and another we managed to get the bikes over as it was too big for my trusty hand saw and way too long to be drug off the trail. IMG_5704.jpg

We didn’t go all the way over the mountain and down to Retallack , but we were close.

It was a timing thing and we were running out of time to get to Nelson so we skipped the K&S other than a brief section of it.

I feel jaded I missed out on some of my favorites and I’m going back solo soon if I have to.

We did loop around to the old mining claim , which was a fun little ride. IMG_5698.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

The following day was 570 Kms so , might have been better we didn’t ride well into the darkness as it was getting dark by the time we rolled into Nelson the first night.
    sector likes this.
  11. DualSport855

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lurkerlou, I had quite a delay at Canadian Customs, traffic backed up behind me as we talked motorcycles for a good 10 minutes!
    Lurkerlou likes this.
  12. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lurkerlou... Looks like it'd be easy on my dirtbike, but I'm thinking that I may take a day this upcoming week, take my quad and power saw and cut all the obstacles out.
    DualSport855 and 250senuf like this.
  13. Lurkerlou

Oddometer:
    While I’d take my hat off to you for doing it Hill Climber , we were there on Friday and there was only one we had to go over rather than pull out of the way. Being that there was a Saturday and Sunday after that I’d think there is a good chance someone may have beat you to it. K&S , your guess is better than mine as I literally just stumbled upon it years ago on the 990. Looking for squiggly lines (backroad mapbook SIM card) on the GPS as we rode through the area.

I remember popping out of the trail at Retallack and a bunch of guys were working on a snow cat and offered help because they figured we were lost. That was at least 5 years ago.
    Hill Climber and DualSport855 like this.
  14. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking more than likely the K&S will have trees down, as not too many riders ride that section. My wife wants to do a day long ride on the quad, so we'll make it a loop ride. Start at Retallack, cross the highway and take the Wagon Road to the last lake and jump onto the K&S. Stop in Sandon for an ice cream then carry on. The less trees we have to contend with, the better. We always stop at the ridge to take in the views for at least a half hour (truth it, we're giving our butts and my arms a rest... no power steering) and drop into Jackson Basin, check the cabin out and carry on with the last leg of the loop to the truck. It'll have been a fine day!
    sector and Lurkerlou like this.
  15. DualSport855

Oddometer:
    Tuesday and Wednesday have been great days for exploring the West Koots!
    IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Thanks to all of you that have reached out to me and made me welcome here in Nelson.
  16. Lurkerlou

Oddometer:
    Have you looked into the Kettle Valley Rail trail coming out of Castelgar ? Would be a nice gentle off-road trip , beautiful through to Christina Lake.
    DualSport855 likes this.
  17. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    DualSport855, congrats on your explorations. You went places many locals have never ventured to.
    DualSport855 likes this.
  18. DualSport855

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was part of day 2. Last time I had done it was 11 years ago. This time I stayed on all the way to the bottom of the hill.
    Lurkerlou likes this.
  19. DualSport855

Oddometer:
    Haha, maybe because I did many of these tracks in 1976 on an XL 175 bought at Markin Equipment.
    Hill Climber, yamalama and Lurkerlou like this.
  20. DualSport855

Oddometer:
    Today was mostly spent in first gear!
    IMG_0028.jpg IMG_3022.jpg IMG_3024.jpg