West Koots

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Apr 2, 2015.

1. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    . . . . and they are drop dead sexy! I still have a soft spot for the 640 Adv. Just wish I tried it with an FCR 'fore I sold it. Then it would rip!!
  2. sector

sector Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the trip report and pics! Heading over the Old Cascade Hwy tomorrow.
  3. sector

sector Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode to Grand Forks from Rossland via the Old Cascade Hwy. Had to saw up a couple of logs to get through. Saw a parked bike at the summit, but never saw the rider.

OldCascadeHwy1.jpg OldCascadeHwy2.jpg
  4. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Hey Sector ... that is a big tree for a small saw. Speaks to the tenacity of your friend bluesaphire !!

Nice bikes too !
  5. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, planning on doing the portion of the KVR from Castlegar to Grand Forks in early July. I understand the Bulldog Tunnel has has some issues and the trail is not passable at this time. There is a cut across down to Paulson.

My question, can you get to Renata via FRS roads by peeling off of the KVR trail? I would then continue on north to Edgewood if possible. I don't have the Thompson-Okanogan Backroads Mapbook yet so I can't check the trails.

Also, motorcycles are still allowed on this section of the KVR?

Thanks
  6. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Yes motorcycles are allowed. It is officially a multiuse trail.

Some of shoring beams that have come down pretty much where I saw a few mentioned earlier in this thread.

[​IMG]

As far as I know there is not workaround near the tunnel to get back to the rail bed. But there is a rough trail, that I have not taken, that comes out in Renata and goes on to Edgewood. Further back you can connect up to the Paulson and theoretically back down to Farron. I have the Backroads maps for the area and will check after work.

The Columbia and Western Rail Trail Facebook page for updates.
    https://www.facebook.com/columbiaandwestern/
  7. shuswap biker

shuswap biker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you google earth the south end of the tunnel you will see a logging road about 160 meters from the rail bed, as well there is a trail across the top of the tunnel where I think the open wire lead (telegraph) used to go, unsure how passiible it is. As I mentioned before somewhere???? there is the original rail bed that the CP used while the tunnel was being constructed, maybe they used the Z switch back approach, forward -back, forward -back or there was pusher trains to get it over the steep grades??
  8. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    I see that road going up and over the tunnel on Google Earth. I recall a road running off the rail bed a few hundred meters from the mouth of the tunnel. That is what I have heard is what leads to Renata. But I also think it would connect with the Google Earth one and allow you back on the rail bed after the tunnel. What I had read was that the road to Renata was really chewed up on a steep slope by quads and also very muddy. So have never gone down to look.
  9. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response guys. I can cut down to Paulson if need be. I'll just keep an eye on the Columbia & Western page to see if the tunnel is cleared in the near future.
  10. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Oh, I did look through my Backroads Kootenay maps and they provide nothing around a road or trail to Renata from the Castlegar side of the tunnel. I think that is wrong, as stated above, but wanted to update.
  11. shuswap biker

shuswap biker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a road/trail down to Renata, but at the bottom of the hill on the north side of the creek is private property-the guy that bought the old town site has the trail/road gated off.
    Now this info is from back in the mid 90s when I lived in GF so I do not know if it applies today,
    So if you are looking for a way to get to Edgewood I think your best bet would be to go to GF and up the north fork to the Burl/Berl?? FSR and follow that to ??? FSR and up and over the mountain into Edgewood.

Has anyone tried the DB sweaney??? sawmill road? cascade Hwy to sheep cr, go north and the trail/rd should take you out to nancy green lake-There is a bridge out so I have been told so you may need to do a look for a fording point.
  12. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    The road out of Grand Forks to Edgewood is along the Granby River and the Burrell Creek FSR. Did it a couple of years ago on my KTM 950 and was a fairly easy ride. Pretty country too
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago a friend of mine drove through south from Edgewood and someone had made an alternate to the gated property in Renata. A few years before that another friend and I had gone over Bulldog Mtn and came back the same way. The return up Bulldog was a challenge then. The guy I did that with did it again a few years later and as borscht zanetti said the quads have really chewed it up. By now it's probably best to consider it as down only on the north side of Bulldog and one heck of a ride at that.
    The Backroad Mapbooks are best used with a grain or two of salt. They are not the end-all be-all of maps by any means. Best to confirm with local knowledge any lesser routes/tracks.
  14. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Still getting the 640 ready. Got a set of Kevlar/Carbon tank guards free from an inmate. Also found a Renazco seat, folding mirrors ... The bike is amazing I really like it. I ended up not being able to preserve the Kevlar Carbon fibre look. So in the end went with bed liner. OMG .. I sanded and sanded but could not get a good look ... but I like this look on the KTM and really like the petcock protection.

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/JimFisher1956/media/DF3036E2-9006-4F57-A14A-4808DB6E26AC_zps9kgj6ytp.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Also got a Renazco seat to work from an earlier model. I suspect the 05 and later make fitment a challenge. But ... it is a bit lower and much better at damping vibes and handling my butt. Folding KTM Mirrors too. I am happy and looking forward to some great riding this summer.
    trex300 likes this.
  15. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good!
    Sticking with the low fender?
  16. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Gotta agree, the Bubba bike looks fantastic..

Yours is a question I often ask, the low fender has many advantages over the hi mount, but has one huge disadvantage when it comes to mud... A friend of mine had an accident on his 640 which ended his trip in South America after a mud packed fender sheared off putting the brake lines into the wheel causing an endo..
  17. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been over the Grey Creek pass yet? I've heard through the rumour mill that three weeks ago it was still snowy and impassable on the Kimberley side....
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the Gray Creek Pass thread in this subforum:

Thanks to revo_chance on DSBC:
    Not open as of yesterday (June 15, 2016), we made it to the last couple switch backs from the top on the St Mary's side, you could wrestle your way through I'm sure but we ran out of time as we had to come back the same day. It was too much for my 690, and too much for me. There was about an inch of fresh stuff.
  19. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Ladybird FSR. All creeks are a flowing.

[​IMG]
  20. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    Grey Creek store website says it is open.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk