West Koots

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    I modified the idler pulley on my Uly to reduce the amount of tension maintained on the belt. So far, so good.

On all my Tube-frame Buells I run the belts extremely lose and have never had one break.
    motrhead likes this.
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Wasn't intending to "Play the Game" with that pic. Thought it was too obvious for you guys.

But'cher wrong.

:wink:
  3. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Lornce, I did the same thing, : ovalised the mounting holes in the pulley mount. Maybe I need to ovalise them some more? Or see if one can still find the Free Spirits tensioner. First broken belt in 44000 miles; changed the belt prophylactically at 20000. Maybe 24000 miles is the lifetime of these lifetime belts? Now I need to decide how far I should trust the old 20000 mile belt.
    Lornce and motrhead like this.
  4. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, and in addition to the gas can, the fenders are awfully close to the tires for the gooey Calcium enhanced mud up there.
    motrhead likes this.
  5. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW thanks everyone for the info, greatly appreciated, wonder if the KVR is snow free? where is the camp McKinney road?

Nevermind. That's the Mt. Baldy road ?
  6. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries at my age I don't criticize anyone for a things long forgotten, I am quite well known for saying all to often, " pretty sure this was the way we went last time, 10...no wait maybe 25 years ago, trail couldn't have changed that much?"
  7. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now its MY memory that is bad. Its the City of Paris Road which is a bit more challenging. The Gibbs Creek road will be fine. They are both in the same area, but City of Paris is a bit to the south, lots of tight little steep corners. Nice ride.
    JD
  8. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    I had two Rotopax on my Stelvio when I went to Inuvik. One would have been plenty...I think I could actually have made it to Eagle Plains, but I have a rule about never letting fuel injected bikes run out. I have a Rotopax mount on thr topbox for my other Uly. I will steal that and make a mount. But that's a long way off!!!
    Lornce likes this.
  9. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was intending to raise or change the fenders before I go. I carry a spare belt if the bags are on.
    It's hard to wait for the weekend to pick the bike up and get out riding!
  10. zoo

zoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, KVR is clear, Rode it last week. While a few long puddles they are not the bottom less kind, so good to go. If you have never done it, do it. Get on it just past Crami as I mentioned, then all the way to the big Adra tunnel above naramata. Tons to see, you will enjoy.
    devildogg likes this.
  11. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    One last Ulysses interruption since there are other weirdos here...lol
    Thinking about some dirt worthy tires...I ran TKC70 rear/TKC 80 front on my Stelvio. I love the 70 as an all around tire! Now I am thinking about a Motoz Tractionator GPS rear, and TKC80 front. I know the 80 is pretty agressive, but ir's a great tire, and it comes in a 17" front. Any other 17 inch front ideas that work in *some* mud? I may just go TKC70 on both ends until I head for the Arctic. Lol
    All this talk about Kootenay/Boundary backroads has me itching to ride all the roads I rode when I was 14 on my XL350! From OK Falls over to Beaverdell, Carmi, Oliver; and from Cawston over to Oliver, Apex, and Nickel Plate. All connected, almost all offroad. Good times.
    I missed some good roads while I had the Stelvio, but I did enjoy a few (and some dirtier ones on my DR650). Now I have a six piece take down flyrod that fits in my tank bag, and a new ride. Time to revisit some old roads and find some new ones.
  12. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    imho, the Ulysses is a great, no, a stellar sport-touring bike. Putting knobbies on it is kind of like fitting mudders to a Shelby Cobra.

There's lots better dirt riding options - if that's what you want - that don't involve undermining the utility of an excellent sport-touring motorcycle.

imho, ymmv, fwiw... I'll shut up now.

:lol3
  13. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    I only put a few thousand km on my '06, but I think it proved to be a good do-everything machine. it's a Swiss Army knife!
    Yeah, I hear you about it being a sport tourer, but at the same time I know more than a few guys that have been very happy off road. Mine seemed willing...and after muscling the Stelvio around in the dirt, the Ulysses is not bad.
    I had a TKC80 on the front of my Stelvio, and it did not slow me down! it's the most pavement worthy knobbie going! LOL It's actually a great road tire, and the fronts last.
    I think I will likely go for TKC70s for now on the Uly. They are a fantastic sport-touring tire that doesn't mind getting plenty dirty. But like most non-knobbies, they are not a mud tire.
    Until I find that XT600 I keep talking about, this and my little XT350 will have to do!
  14. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, the Ulysses is the best sport tourer I've found yet. But not for dirt; for Maxburning yes but for trips with extensive off pavement components there are better choices. Now I've broken a belt; I'm less confident about the reliability of my ride. So now that's gnawing at my comfort level. Add in the desire for ABS and maybe my days on American iron may be numbered. May be. Maybe not.
  15. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep checking in and hoping we have new posts about the West Koots. Sadly it is about some kinda motorcycle.
  16. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    And on a motorcycle forum, to boot.

The nerve!
  17. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    Lol. Sorry about that. I will be in the West Koots to pick it up tomorrow, does that help? :-)
    I think I will make a run over 31A and do the loop past Trout Lake to break it in!
    Lornce likes this.
  18. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    A Segway about a motorbike. I love segue’s.

post up pics when you get the Ulsis..Ulyses...er Buel Dean!
    motrhead likes this.
  19. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went out to Trout lake wed the joint was jumpin. What a great ride love looking at the Purcell's especially this time of year with snow still on them
    IMG_20200527_115059.jpg

Attached Files:

knight, Holaday and Lornce like this.
  20. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, this twigged a thought, Was that you we yakked with at the A&W just beside Bentley a couple of Weeks ago, maybe three? Chris on a dirty GS 800 and me ( Old guy) on a Purdy Blue GSA. Pain in the butt to get food if riding a Moto