West Koots

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Apr 2, 2015.

1. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha thAnks Jim you exagerate. More of a lucky rider than good and the 500 makes up for lots of lack of skill
  2. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reliability drama is hit-and-miss. Most, like you, have good luck. On average though, you just can't beat the Japanese for reliability.
    I'm shopping (half heartedly now with closed borders) for something better suited to American highways than the 250. The WR250R is OK up to BC's postwar level speed limits but in a land of 75 mph limits and 85 mph average speeds, I'm looking to trade away some lightness for some highway comfort and safety. So the T7 and 790A come immediately to mind. Doing my due diligence, I find enough reports of major grief with the 790 to worry me. Yes, odds are the one I buy will be trouble free, but a Yamaha is almost guaranteed to see nothing but smooth sailing.

Good luck on the snow front tomorrow. I was up to 3600 feet today in the East Koots and by the time I came down (4pm) much melting had happened. Have a great ride.
  3. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend has a 790 A and loves it no issues yet, but just for context, I have owned a 950 S, a 990, an 1190, and a 1090 R KTM, Vstrom, Africa Twin, 2 multistradas, KLR, BMWR100S, two Guzzi's, triumph sprint, 2 ktm dirt bikes, the Husky, a wr250 F.... and the list back to my youth continues to my Can am days. Well who gives a shit, no one.maybe my wife (snerk) for different reasons. My KTM Adventures while not RTW machines have taken me up the Dempster twice, Moab, Southern California, and most western states, BC and Alberta, with no major issues. The dirt bikes, check the valves like all others usually eah winter and rarely need much adjusting after the initial adjustment, the Adventures same thing and change the fuel filters yearly So when people talk about reliability issues on the internet it makes wonder. take it with a grain of salt and buy the bike that strikes your fancy and don't give a shit about anything else.
    Although the 790 A have some balance issues IMG_20200604_105040.jpg IMG_20200604_122419.jpg ues
    MGV8, borscht zanetti and Lycan1 like this.
  4. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok well then Ymir might be the WRR capital of the Koots! I unfortunately don’t have a beer fridge in the shop....yet. :nah
    MGV8 likes this.
  5. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made the trip to Arkansas lake a few weeks back...inadvertently. I was trying to hook up to make it to Tye to meet a friend from Nelson. It got dark, the alders attacked...so we back tracked to the lake and setup camp for the night. Two 990s and a Tiger.

In hind site I guess we could have pushed another ~800m and made it to the Next Creek FSR (I think).

IMG_2366.jpg

Great camp spot though.

IMG_2367.jpg

A good place to "shoot the shit" in the morning over coffee

IMG_20200918_063228.jpg
  6. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Shoot the shit !
    :clap
  7. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plan A on Wednesday between Ladybird and Grizzly
    Oodles of fun going up. Not so much coming down this is at about 6000'
    PXL_20201021_204143818.jpg
  8. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plan A rev 1 on Thursday go North
    PXL_20201022_220635841.jpg
    MGV8 and Holaday like this.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Columbia & Western railgrade?
  10. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    No wrong side of the lake. We tried to go over Grizzly from Cayuse creek Wed. Then on Thursday thought we would try to get over into slocan valley north of Gladstone creek but we wussed out cause we were freezing and probably to much snow anyway
  11. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thinking was: Headed North -> bike facing north + Lake = railgrade. Looking at the topo map it looks as though the Gladstone ride you bailed on would have gnarlier than Cayuse - Grizzly.
  12. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picture was on the way home :) yah I am not even sure it can be done, big brother told me there is a quad trail through one of the cut blocks. Its a summer project for sure and it was way farther than I thought
    250senuf likes this.
  13. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    Yes a great spot to camp! The ride through the face slappers to get into Next isn't too far but also not much fun. It looks like someone started brushing a couple years ago from one one end but they didn't get very far and the fact that access from the Next Cr side is restricted means I doubt it will improve any time soon. We rode out Next to Cultus and had planned on riding down to the lake at Tye but we had a strange run in with two guys in a truck that tried not to let us pass and then tried taking our photos....weird :loco.. so we just headed out Porcupine and Oxide pass back to Oscar Cr and home to Ymir.
  14. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Happy Halloween! You bunch of Koots!

CC70DB04-4D15-4470-A07C-596B07130EEF.png
    MGV8, motrhead and Holaday like this.
  15. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old Koots to you sir! Lol. Enjoy the sugar rush.
  16. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Yes. We offer amazing treats. Alls the better for leftovers.
    Last year 6 kids. New neighborhood, we are warned ... hundreds!

we shall see!
  17. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last ride of the season yesterday, I wish I had another day’s worth though to enjoy the sun today!
  18. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    Today was real nice, I had hoped to get out but didn’t make it....:2cry