1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

West Like Lightning, The Pony Express

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ajayhawkfan, Sep 21, 2020.

1. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Thank you

Sand was a problem but the mud was worse.

Thank you. I'm always always open to ideas that are based upon history. I got an idea from another about following Kit Carson's travels with John Fremont. A couple years ago I was in Taos NM and when through his house/museum and bought a biography of his. He traveled all over the west and had a fascinating life. Because of that book I read Fremonts Bio. That idea intrigues me.

Thank you for the comments. The terrain in so much of the route is wide open and I think amazing.

I just read Twain's "Roughing It". Twain brother Orion was opinted by Lincoln to be secretary of the Nevada Territory. Sam went with Orion in a stagecoach to be his personal secretary. Twain wrote about the trip went in the book "Roughing it". In the book, he mentions what a trill it was to see the pony rider from the window of the stage.
    Aces 6, liv2day and MizzouRider like this.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for sharing this trip with us. Love seeing the open stretches of dirt roads east of the Rockies.
  3. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great ride, great commentary and history of the Pony Express! I have rode the Lewis and Clark route as close as I could to Great Falls Mt. Also quite a bit of the Oregon trail and others. Riding these historic trails is a wonderful way to explore the country with our bikes. After this report, I think I know where my next trip is going to be. Thank you again for letting us ride along!
  4. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    A unique aspect of the ride was how we experianced almost all the weather related events the pony ride experience. Our ride was through 100 degree heat and humidity, high winds, rain, below freezing temperatures, snow, ice, mud and desert heat. we missed below 0 degrees and tornados and white out conditions.

Thank you. I enjoyed it and appreciate the kind comments.

That is a cool place. However, after riding thought so much sand already I didn't want to get too close. I'm not sure a 1250 could ever get out of that place.

Thanks Luc. You need to join me on some excursion.

Thank you for taking time to read. History and ADV motorcycles seem to work at least for me. My last few excresion have been going west. I'm looking into history that will take me east. Following the life of Daniel Boone is moving higher and higher on my list.
    gagnaou likes this.
  5. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. I have read the Bio of Grant by Chernow but not the autobirgraphy. If I follow his life I'll pick it up.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  6. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It is a fascinating area to ride.

A couple years ago I did Lewis and Clark from MO it the Pacific. It was a great ride. @LewisNClark has so much good information available on the web site he made the research easy.

Thanks for reading. If you take this trip please let me know. I could meet you in St. Joe.
    Mcgee and LewisNClark like this.
  7. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you ever need to update your L&C GPS files I now have the Lewis and Clark Trail route in Garmin Montana "Track" format.
    Ladybug and Mcgee like this.
  8. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report sir! Thanks for taking the time to share your trip and organize your track and waypoints! Many of your pictures were familiar as we've been blessed to ride sections of the Emigrant Trail and PE Route. I can see a future trip dedicated to this track.

9. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Any time I can include history with an ADV ride is a bonus to me.
    Ladybug likes this.
  10. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your brilliant RR; I particularly enjoyed the historical references and stories.
  11. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Mixing history and riding makes trips more enjoyable for me.
    bomose, severely and Aces 6 like this.