West Malaysia Tour

Discussion in 'Asia' started by alijanah, Jan 16, 2019.

1. alijanah

alijanah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I'm considering a West Malaysia Tour (route is not yet planned) but pretty much will cover the major destinations. I've allocated around 14 days for this tour and before I can proceed I need a good reliable motorcycle rental in Kuala Lumpur that have adventure bikes (R1200GS, 850GS, Versys, etc) with panniers. I've googled it and came up with a few but there is not much information about big bikes rental or at least not enough for me to compare.

Does anybody here know or have experience with any rental companies in Kuala Lumpur that have these type of bikes ?

I'd really appreciate all your help. Thank you and have a great day.
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    google 1200gs, Malaysia. I got one on FB, one on their website. 1200 is not needed , expressways are smooth, speeds are low.
  3. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    A 650 is the biggest bike you'd need there even 2 up and know that with hard panniers and a big bike it will restrict your movement in heavy traffic and there's lots of it. I passed many a bike bike stuck because of width.:D
  4. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    also in Malaysia the drivers are very aware of their surroundings n so must you , lane sharing is just a regular part of driving, don't be afraid to use the horn, relax, use your signals n maybe hands. enjoy your time there ,we will be returning in march. Gas prices are regulated at all be a few islands, the express-free or toll roads have rest- food courts at most times with gas stations etc. the building of roads was ahead of my google maps in 2016 , hopefully things are updated. English can be hard to find in some east coast locations, many resorts on the east coast have full service only Thursday nights, can be back in there a ways so keep your eye open for the last food stand.the area on the most southeastern section was all up in construction, Chinese development,in 2016, there was only one gas station just off the main road, so cluttered with cars but some have moto only islands. the ferry dock to s'pore wouldn't sell us gas. Have a great time, we found guest houses the best stay, covered or enclosed parking, enclosed yards, laundry n cheap. have a great time.
  5. Vixen

Vixen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been researching for a Malaysian adventure as well. http://www.ridemalaysia.com.my/ are quick to respond and have Versys available.
  6. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Malaysian here. Honestly, stay off the highway and take the smaller roads. Much more to see and do. I just got back from a 3 day trip, if you want, I can help you with some nice roads for you to ride.

ps: I travel on a 200cc bike. More than good enough, in my case.
    yokesman and gavo like this.
  7. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Take JJafaar's advice, great bloke and very helpful. Went out of his way for me when I was there. :D
  8. alijanah

alijanah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I've settled on this route for the first 5 days :-

Day 1 (117 km)
    =========
    Subang Jaya - Fraser Hills (via Route 55)

Day 2 (316 km)
    =========
    Fraser Hills - Genting Highlands (via Route 56) - Bentong - Sg Koyan - Ringlet - Tanah Rata - Cameron Highlands

Day 3 (247 km)
    =========
    Cameron Highlands - Penang (via Bridge)

Day 4 (358 km)
    =========
    Penang - Kulim - Gerik - Jeli - Rantau Panjang - Kota Bahru

Day 5 (389 km)
    =========
    Kota Bahru - Tok Bali - Pantai Penarik - Marang - Kuala Dungun - Teluk Chempedak

Day 6 & 7 (to be decided)

Any suggestion for Day 6 and 7 is greatly appreciated (considering I have to deliver the bike back to Subang Jaya on Day 7 by late afternoon). Thanks everyone.
  9. mutanic

mutanic Ride for peace of mind

Oddometer:
    Ping me when you're in Malaysia, as mentioned by Vixen above, look for them at www.ridemalaysia.com.my or any local rider you may found in here. Careful when riding & watch out where you park the bike.
  10. alijanah

alijanah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've done the trip 2 months back. Got a rental bike from a friend's contact and all was good. I'm now interested to ship my bike over from Brunei to West Malaysia for my next trip. Do you know anybody who handle this type of logistic ? I have a few info but I just want to shop around. Thanks.
  11. mutanic

mutanic Ride for peace of mind

Oddometer:
    Sure, there's some good reference in my friend blog called riderchris.com

I'll get the rest tomorrow
  12. 4Skins

4Skins Johnny to most...

Oddometer: