1. eNewsletter Sign Up

West Of Phoenix riders?!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mykdee, Feb 10, 2020.

1. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking for riders in the West Valley that might be interested in some trail rides.
    I have a 2009 XR650L and like to single track ride or just explore new areas.
  2. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a West side Cowboy who enjoys a beautiful sunrise, Bacon, brisk rides through the desert and hanging out around a warm campfire.:kumbaya

:wingsHi-ya Myk! hit me up when you plan something. I am an old, fat and slow rider but I usually finish part of the ride!:ricky

We rode about 60 miles of some super Neto-Meskito double track last Saturday staging just off of Jackrabbit Trail. I like to bring @cyberdos for a sponge bath after the ride!:super
    AZ Mark, Sledred, DR650SEDDY and 2 others like this.
  3. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bacon being the key word!!
    BIG-E likes this.
  4. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live off of Jackrabbit, so not far from your last spot! We go camping quite ofter off the 85 fwy, would love to do some overnight trips on the bikes!!
  5. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear:hide
    BIG-E likes this.
  6. pfdskipper

Oddometer:
    I'm in your hood, hit me up next time and we'll get after it.
  7. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi-Ya Skipper!:wave Call me ifin' you guys want in on a Super Seacricket ride next Saturday. @mykdee PM me for more info. Oh, you'll like this one!

Edited..Next Saturday.
  8. pfdskipper

Oddometer:
    I need to see that shiny new 2smoke of yours up close. Looks purdy! Unfortunately, back up to the cold country this weekend for home logistics, keep me in mind next time!
    BIG-E likes this.
  9. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone going out for a short day ride this weekend? I am available Saturday or Sunday morning.
  10. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I’m new to Az and the west valley.
    Have a 1290 SAR, interested in finding rides and riding partners.

Also wondering if I could take the back way up to Crown King on my 1290?
    Up for challenging rides but not sure how difficult that one is.

John
  11. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only one way to find out,go! You can always turn around:D
  12. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    The back way to CK on heavy bike might be handful, although i knew people who did it on GS1200. I wouldn't go up there with bigger than 650cc, that's just me though.
    JRCarp likes this.
  13. Bigredwelder

Bigredwelder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on the Westside as well in Estrella Mountain Ranch, at least for now. I took the 1090r up the backway to crown king a couple times last fall. In my opinion, it wasn't too bad. Only kinda rough spot was where the miner has the road diverted into the creek bottom.
    JRCarp likes this.
  14. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bigred
    How long did it take you?
    Some have told there were big boulders you had to drag your bike over I am assuming that’s no longer true?
  15. Bigredwelder

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I don't remember. I got up there fairly early to beat the friggin SXS's. I think I was at the Crown King "turnoff rock" by 7:00. I had breakfast in Crown King, and then came back via I17. Think I was home by early afternoon if memory serves.

I certainly don't remember any big boulders. There are a few spots that line choice is critical to avoid large rock sections, but definitely nothing I had to drag the bike over. I wouldn't do this alone if your only experience is street or just maintained two track, but if you have some experience off road, especially technical singletrack on a smaller bike I think you would be fine. Let me know when you plan on heading up and I'd be glad to go with if I can.
  16. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming from 35 years experience I wouldn't ride alone whether you're Marc Coma or not, things can turn very ugly very quick especially if u happen to be on the least travel trails. Always find a good buddy or 2 to ride with, this way they can snap few photos of u before the medics arrives (Sarcasm :-)).
    Sledred and BIG-E like this.
  17. Bigredwelder

Oddometer:
    Very good advice. I've ridden alone a lot more than I should have through the years. Probably been lucky I haven't had anything I couldn't get myself out of/back from.
  18. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have plenty of experience on little bikes all over New England and a couple years of good experience on my 1290 there as well.

Not super confident in the terrain out here yet tho.
    I would guess I'm at least an average rider if not a little better.
    As far as going it alone I wouldn't plan on doing that or at least turn around if it got to sketchy for me.
    BigRed, I would love to get together with you if nothing else to see if I have the "stuff".
    I also have a friend coming out around March 5th for a week, and this is one of the routes I was scouting to take him on but sounds like it may be too much for him.
    I can always take him the easy way up and explore from there.

John.
  19. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are willing to give the Crown King ride a go, I would definitely be interested to see if I could make the ride on my Big Red Pig XR650L!
    Either way, I am close to Estrella Mountains let me know if you want to go out riding sometime!
  20. Azturbomini

Azturbomini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm in Litchfield Park and just picked up a used Triumph Tiger 800XC after a 30 year hiatus from riding. Also all of my riding was done in Texas so even though I've lived in the valley 20 years, I really don't know many places to ride. I rode/raced Motocross and hare scrambles into my early 20's. Sold Honda's in Dallas in the late 80's/early 90's then that was that. No more motorcycles for far too long. Anyway, looking for one or more too ride with.

J.R. 20200213_160322.jpg 20200213_160333.jpg
    Foiler and BIG-E like this.