West Of Phoenix riders?!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mykdee, Feb 10, 2020.

1. shadman

shadman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm off 17 and Happy Valley, sorta new to Phoenix. In my time here I have only ridden to crown king and back. Bought a small lot up there. Never rode back, haha, only driven the easy way. I'm game to ride there any day of the week if someone wants company. I need to check my land every so often for peace of mind.

Peter
  2. shadman

shadman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An xr would be fine for ck
  3. Azturbomini

Azturbomini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sent you a message.
  4. Azturbomini

Azturbomini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sent you a message.
  5. Azturbomini

Azturbomini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What does your schedule look like during the week? Unless it's early, (like someone said above) and I've been told, side by side, 4 wheeler and Jeep traffic is unbearable on the weekends.
  6. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dope....That is why I always beaat the Parimedics by at least 30 minutes!!!:muutt:ksteve
    DR650SEDDY and AZ TOM like this.
  7. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    During the week I probably couldn't get out until 4 most days.
    I am free most weekends, maybe we go elsewhere?
  8. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to try it.
    Little nervous about whether I can do it.
    I could do something this coming Sat even if its not that ride.
  9. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One more thing since I am kind of new to the area what stickers or permits do you need to ride out here?
    I saw something about an OHV sticker is there anything else?
  10. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe just street legal with a plate & OHV sticker just to be safe. What a shame that our AZ riding on weekends is being so adversely affected by SXS's. But that's life in a free country I guess.
  11. Azturbomini

Azturbomini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely!
  12. Squidlife_schmied

Squidlife_schmied Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m on a 1200gs in Goodyear looking for friends and rides! I’d love some sorta meet up or IMG_1287.jpg day rides, that sorta thing
    BIG-E, JRCarp and Azturbomini like this.
  13. Azturbomini

Azturbomini Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A meet up and ride would be awesome.
  14. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im in Goodyear also
    20180524_125417.jpg
  15. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my OHV sticker.
  16. RidgelineRider

RidgelineRider Don't take life too serious

Oddometer:
    I’m out in Wittmann and typically leave from my driveway. My schedule permits some week days and partial weekends off, which may be good for pick up rides. I have tracked a lot of trails and have GPX files for those who need some.

There are a couple ways to Crown King, from Kirkland, Prescott, Mayer, Bumblebee and the infamous Back way to CK via Cow Creek Rd. However there is another way that starts close to CK rock, but is easier and less traveled. Years ago I took an 800GSA via Cow Creek Rd and got worked...I don’t recommend anything heavier than 650cc as mentioned by someone else, especially the two southerly routes. Senator Hwy and Wagoner Rd are big bike friendly.

I typically ride 500 EXC which is my new drug of choice. I do ride big GS as well. Friend me on instagram : Motoaddik or direct message me for my email and phone.
    JRCarp likes this.
  17. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys have some really nice bikes!
    I am actually in Litchfield Park and if you guys put together a ride that doesn't require a ton of freeway driving (not a huge freeway fan on the XR) I would be interested in a meetup!!
    Azturbomini likes this.
  18. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look forward to riding with you and following some of those tracks.
    RidgelineRider likes this.
  19. JRCarp

JRCarp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would be fun to ride together, see if I can handle some of the tight stuff you can ride.
  20. Bigredwelder

Bigredwelder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What the hell, I'll throw an option out there. I know of a fun, flowy two track route that runs south Goodyear (I leave from the Estrella mountain Ranch area) through the Sonoran Desert National Monument and pops out on 85 about half way between I10 and Gila Bend. Can take powerline road from there to Gila Bend if you want to.

Anyway, this route is fairly mild. Not much in the way of rocks, but a bit of sand, lot of waterbars and typical desert two-track stuff. Might be a good "warmup/meetup" ride since most of us posting here haven't ridden together. I'm out of town this coming weekend, but could put something together for the following weekend (2/29-3/1) if interested. This route would allow the big bikes to take 85 back to Goodyear if you want to bail, and give the smaller bikes the option of avoiding it by backtracking back to Goodyear. Wouldn't be a long ride, but would be good for a meetup session and see how comfortable everyone is with sand, and what kind of pace everyone like to keep. For those that like the route, I have a good loop that continues onto Gila bend, loops down through Section A of the Barry M. Goldwater Range (permit is required), then winds its way back to 8, ut to Mobile and back to Goodyear. There is a significant amount of sand on this route though, so being comfortable in sand is a must.

On another note, are any of you that are posting, members of ATR? Might already know you, just don't know your "handle" on here.

Old pics, but to give you an idea:

IMG_20190331_135927.jpg IMG_20190331_143045.jpg IMG_20190331_143726.jpg IMG_20190331_144944.jpg IMG_20190331_145554.jpg