Western Australia 2006

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Centrelink, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Canning Stock Route</st1:address></st1:Street> is a 1600km long track through some of the most remote parts of <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Western Australia</st1:place></st1:State>, taking in the Great Sandy, Gibson and Little Sandy deserts. This was my third motorcycle adventure ride and is without doubt the most ambitious ride I have undertaken so far. The CSR by motorbike, solo and unsupported, is not everyone’s cup of tea but it was exactly the sort of adventure I was looking for.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The bike was trailered up to <st1:place w:st="on">Alice Springs</st1:place> from where I rode up the <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Tanami Road</st1:address></st1:Street> towards the community of Bililuna. The first night I stopped outside the Rabbit Flat Roadhouse, just after the GPS was indicating the power supply from the bike was cutting in and out. I wasn’t too fussed, I just figured it was the corrugations in the road. The next morning I awoke to find fuel dripping out of the petcocks on the fuel tank. I headed into the roadhouse to buy a cake of soap. I ground up the soap and rubbed it in around the petcocks. I continued up the Tanami to Bililuna where I bought my last fuel for the next 600 odd kilometres. It cost me $135 to fill the tank and my 2 jerry cans, the most money I have ever paid for fuel.
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
  2. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading off down the CSR proper I am surrounded by Spinifex grass and small trees. The track is loose sand but easy going. There are many tracks leading off the CSR and it is not easy to find the right way through. The further I go the narrower the track is getting and I soon find myself on a narrow dual track of sand with trees on either side and Spinifex down the middle. About 130 kms into the CSR I ran off the track into the bushes. I kept it upright and returned to the track but decided to stop and regain my composure. As soon as I stopped I could feel something wet pouring onto the back of my leg, turning around I could see one of my jerry cans has a big hole in it and the petrol is gushing out. I parked the bike and pulled the jerry off. The petrol was burning my skin, so I pulled my boot and sock off and rubbed some red sand into it which stopped the burning sensation. After emptying as much of the fuel into the tank as I could I continued for another 15kms before making camp on the side of track. I made myself a cup tea (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeName w:st="on">Boh</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Cameron</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Highlands</st1:placeName> tea, specially imported from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Malaysia</st1:place></st1:country-region>) and have never tasted a better tea.
    Heading off down the CSR:

[​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  3. VDG

VDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow one more report from Australia. Keep posting......
    BTW increase the font of letter. It is too small...
  4. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    When did you do this?

Thanks for sharing

Cheers
    Pilbara
  5. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The next morning I continued along through the Breaden Hills which looked spectacular in the early morning light. The scrub on the side of the track was giving me a real beating. I decided to ride in the left wheel track to protect the oil cooler and stop the dry grass getting caught up in the exhaust pipe. Every day along the CSR I would see burnt out cars, mostly the result of fires started by grass getting caught under the car.

The hills:
    [​IMG]
  6. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Desert oaks in the desert:
    [​IMG]
  7. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's me:
    [​IMG]
  8. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The many sand dunes along the CSR are small but the track tends to turn a corner going over the dunes. It makes getting a decent run up a little more challenging but getting over the dune a lot more rewarding and fun. Somehow I managed to get over all 800 dunes on the first attempt every time.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    On day 3 I managed to put a hole in my main water container whilst packing it back into my bag. I filled my other containers as much as possible and drank the rest of the water. It wasn’t far to the only community along the track and I only had to fill up once from a well before reaching Kunawarritji the next day.

The well here had goldfish swimming in it:huh [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
  9. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I arrived a little after 2pm, the start of their two hour siesta. The place looked deserted except for two young kids playing on the computers. They woke up the general store manager and I bought some petrol (at $2.50/litre) and enough water to keep me going for a couple of days.

After a short break I headed back into the desert. In spring the wildflowers are spectacular (my photography still sucks though).
    [​IMG]
  10. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Small dunes:
    [​IMG]
  12. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a long road:
    [​IMG]
  13. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My next fuel stop was at Capricorn, a mere 250kms from Kuna, but this would be the last fuel for over 700kms. The site is unattended, the local roadhouse just dump the fuel drums out here. My drum was on its side so I lifted it up to vertical and syphoned out as much as I could fit into my bike.
    [​IMG]
  14. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few days later I reached Lake Disappointment, socalled due to the lack of water in it when the first white explorers found it. Unfortunately there was some water in it when I got here so I took a detour around a small creek, spent 30 mins riding around trying to pick up the track again and continued on my merry way:
    [​IMG]
  15. hludwit

hludwit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am jealous....I been thinking of doing something for my next adventure down under however I never gave much thought of doing anything like what you are doing.....alone:huh
    good on you mate....keep those pictures comming
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
  16. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of the wells on the CSR:
    [​IMG]
    I only took water from the better looking ones, even with a water purifier and micropur tablets I wasn't going to drink water which had dead animals soaking in it for weeks.
  17. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The springs were beautiful. Hundreds of birds, mostly parrots, were gathered here and making a loud racket. Quite a change from the almost silent and extremely dry desert.
    [​IMG]
  18. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Almost at the finish:
    [​IMG]
  19. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, Wiluna. The first town I have visited in two weeks. Also the first time in 2 weeks I had a shower:eek1
    The Club Hotel:
    [​IMG]
  20. Centrelink

Centrelink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a few supplies here and headed back to Alice along the Gunbarrel Hwy and Great Central Road. Just happened to meet a fellow DR650 rider at Warburton Roadhouse:
    [​IMG]