1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Western NC, N Georgia, E Tennessee put'em here

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by CMWoody, Dec 9, 2005.

1. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Dunno:dunno Sounds like a good question for this thread...Hint hint
  2. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Track logs have the sample points quite close together, good enough for things to look "smooth" in GE. In Garmin land, routes are saved with the forced waypoints that you have created along with the route calculation info that was used when mapsource created the route between the waypoints, to include the map database used. Since the only points saved in the route are the waypoints that forced a route in a certain direction, GE has no clue as to how to connect the dots.

Even in Mapsource, if you open an old route created with a different database than is currently loaded or selected, it will display the same way and Mapsource will ask if you want to recalculate it.

GE's routing algorithm/database is probably different than Mapsource and I have never tried to calculate a route with GE to see if it matches up with Mapsource, as winter sets in I will probably sit down with a bottle of wine and play with that.
  3. wps

wps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the explanation! Several of the gpx files here do have track files which makes them a lot more useful for GE.

WPS
  4. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Well, i have some new killer routes for around the Deal's Gap area, but hay, screw it. Thats not what this thread is about anyway. The title, well, thats just a suggestion. I'm right now more interested in finding a way to replace the antenna on my Motorola/Nextel i860 and coming up with a method for starting my XR650R. Soooo can someone please HELP ME? Please? Anyone ever take an i860 apart or figure out the best way to start a BRP?

And NO, I'm too lazy to find the proper place to put it

And NO, I don't care about having a nice little place just for putting Gap GPS routes.

And Yes, this is the last one... You'll have to hunt around this and other forums to find the rest.

And whats a better sign off than a classic?

Attached Files:

5. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Thank's man. Checks in the mail too...

:lol3

Really, it is...

:lol3

John pc will never figure out what we're talking about. What a rube.:D
  6. strommin

strommin bending light

Oddometer:
    Here's a track log that Phil requested.

View attachment 65581

This is not a loop, just a segment of a ride. Track starts east of Maggie Valley where rts 19 & 276 merge goes north to dirt through Cataloochee and the eastern edge of Smoky Mountain National Park and then will run you up to Hot Springs via 209.

Elk sightings in the Cataloochee area make the run even more interesting.

[​IMG]

dave
  7. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Thanks Strommin, you even have 209 in there, that is way cool :ricky
  8. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's the paved part...:evil Some good routes here, thanks Strommin and Woody...
  9. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
  10. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
  11. MattS

MattS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My last ride out of New Jersey, had to hustle but made some good roads. This should keep you busy.

Attached Files:

12. M2

M2 where 2 ride today?

Oddometer:
    This may be the wrong place to ask this but how do I view the GPX file. I have downloaded a gpx file, however, I cannot figure out how to view with mapsource. I have the mapsource that came with a GPS V.
    Thanks
  13. strommin

strommin bending light

Oddometer:
    From the menu bar select File>Open. Then make sure at the bottom of the dialog box your "Files of Type:" choice selection is either "All Files" or "GPS eXchange Format". Select the file and click open.

If this does not work there is a chance the file name was changed or corrupted when you downloaded it. If that's the case, highlight the file, right click, choose "Rename" and change the file extension to .gpx. Then follow the instructions above.

dave
  14. CDillard

CDillard Old Bass Player Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still cannot get the GPX files to import into my mapsource software that came with my Garmin V (purchased Dec 2004). What am I missing?:huh The downloading does not corrupt the files but even when I select "all files" from the import options (GPX files then appear as import options) I get an "unrecognized file" error when I try to actually upload the GPX file. Any ideas?:deal ("show me" directions work the best!) :lol3

Thanks!!
    CD
  15. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Check out the stickes. You need to go to the Garmin Website to their support section and follow your nose to the software updates linky - click here

Download the update for mapsource and install it and off you go.
  16. CDillard

Oddometer:
    Thanks :evil !! Found the upgrade, downloaded and Voila!! Very nice!!:deal So many routes so close but so little time :cry with a 3 year old and a 1 month old! :D Both girls!!

My poor GS in only getting the "commuters love" lately

Thanks again!
    Chris
    www.dillard3.blogspot.com
    www.cdillard.smugmug.com
  17. CDillard

Oddometer:
    :1drink

100 in a year! Now , this is either something to :clap celebrate or :cry about. Either way, feels good!! :rofl

Happy New Year to all!!

CD