Western QLD solo getaway.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stumps, Sep 12, 2021 at 5:01 AM.

1. stumps

stumps Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With all the Covid lockdowns and trip plans with others cancelled etc, bit the bullet and did a solo trip out west. Aim was to tick off some national parks, forests etc., where I'd ridden past the turnoff signs but never stopped at. Also planned the route via tracks I hadn't been on before..where possible. Enjoyed 9 days and 5000km of great riding, mix of camping and pubs. The 690 went strong all the way. For me, it's a great set up for this type of exploratory solo riding.

Days 1-2: Sunny Coast - Wandoan - Injune - Morven.
    [​IMG]
    Cpl of nice QLD Bottle trees for a shady stop. Injune way.

[​IMG]
    Through the divide and opening up to the west. Nice to stop and hear not much at all.

[​IMG]
    For this old girl, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...:D Near Redford.

[​IMG]
    Maranoa River dry as... near Forestdale.

Days 3: Morven - Duck Creek Opal area - Toompine - Eulo
    Went into Chesterton Range NP for a quick squiz. Very quiet in there and could have spent a cpl of days exploring as is usually the case for these out of the way parks. To be revisited another trip.
    Hit the highway for some forced tar to Charleville then generally heading south via the bush.

[​IMG]
    Nice outlook heading south near Cheepie.

[​IMG]
    Stopped and had a chat to old mate, but not very talkative. Had some good steel capped boots, but not much going on with sun protection.:flip

[​IMG]
    Went into Duck Creek Opal area. Not much action these days but over 120 years of fossicking history. Was keen to visit as had read a webpage of 2 blokes who drove a Ford Cortina up from Melbourne in the 1960's. Imagine that trip eh! They are still going along ok so sent them some pics of the place when I got back home.

Days 4: Eulo - Currawinya NP - Hungerford - Thargomindah
    Up early and backroad down to Currawinya NP. Some great riding in there, but quite remote.

[​IMG]
    Old steam head and pumping set. Pump cast in Melbourne. Not much of that local manufacturing anymore.

[​IMG]
    Numerous shady waterholes and campsites

[​IMG]
    Other side of park and a woolshed or two.

[​IMG]
    Looking towards western side of park at Budgita.

[​IMG]
    Interesting tiger rocks at Granites area.

[​IMG]
    Out of the park and down to Hungerford. Locked gate to NSW in these covid times. Time going by so hightailed up the Dowling Track into Thargomindah for fuel and a big day 5.

Day 5: Thargomindah - Haddon Corner - Windorah.
    740 km planned so with bike full of fuel including bladder underway at sunrise. Turned north before SA border up Planet Downs Arrabury road towards Haddon.

[​IMG]
    Nice vista heading north. Road rough at times for first 30 km.

[​IMG]
    Track softening out through dune country.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Finally ticked off the 3rd corner of QLD. Was careful not to enter SA and break the quarantine regs. :D

[​IMG]
    Arrived in Windorah late arvo a bit knackered...atleast fuel consumption calcs worked out...just! Time to start heading home.

Days 6-7: Windorah - Wellford NP - Stonehenge - Isisford - Blackall - Idalia NP - Tambo.
    Some backtracking at times. Could not do Idalia NP with remaining daylight day 6. So revisited day 7 after fuel/accom in Blackall.

[​IMG]
    Knew I was coming to town? - Isisford.

[​IMG]
    Golden age of rail in days gone by - Emmet.

[​IMG]
    Idalia NP - Big Skink? :lol3

[​IMG]
    Some great rock walks in Idalia NP.

[​IMG]
    Idalia NP - NW cnr area lookout. Boiled up a coffee on the camp stove and enjoyed the view. Could have stayed here for hours. Only really got to see northern end of park...another one to revisit...someday. :hmmmmm

[​IMG]
    Made my way via station tracks from Idalia to Tambo. Gates and more gates..some tracks dudded out to nowhere at times. All part of the fun.

Days 8-9: Tambo - Springsure - Moura - Mundubbera - SunnyCoast.

[​IMG]
    Some great views but ruts, slippery gravel and even some white sandy corners demanded plenty of road attention at times..typically when I was busy gawking at the scenery!!!. - Dawson Development Road.

[​IMG]
    Great view of the Carnarvon Range NP looking from the north heading towards Springsure.

[​IMG]
    Nice QLD bottle tree pic to finish up the trip - near Springsure.

[​IMG]
    Track reference.
  2. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! Thank you.
    stumps likes this.
  3. mettalique

mettalique Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice one I’ve wanted to do that and follow the border out starting from around Killarney. Some of those western roads just go on forever
    stumps likes this.
  4. bungen

bungen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was great, thanks. Fantastic photos of stunning country.
    stumps likes this.