1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Western Romanticism - A Loop Around 10 Western States

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by foxton, Jul 29, 2020.

1. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After another night, I left yellowstone and made my way to Butte. Barely making it out of town I noticed a cute little bar known as "Happy Hour". After reaching Butte, I realized I didn't really want to stay in Butte and trucked onwards to Missoula. The day was young and I was feeling good. Reaching Drummond, I met a man named RG French who told about Phillipsburg, and together we rode down there. After passing up some scenic shots I told RG, I have to let him go, as I wanted to do some photography. The nice man understood and wished me luck on my travels and took off.

280.png 281.png 282.png 283.png
    These enduro boys showed up after I had already paid and was on my way out.

284.png 285.png
  2. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The way to phillipsburg was quite scenic. I followed a few gravel roads here and there that eventually led to dead ends. 286.png 287.png 288.png 289.png 290.png
    Phillipsburg is this old timey town, a really fun vibe actually. I was pretty thirsty and wanted a soda, and well did this place have sodas.

292.png 293.png

Minding my own business, enjoying a rootbeer float, I hear "PHUC PHUC". Now Phuc isn't that common of a name, so in my mind I'm thinking no one's actually calling you, you're just imagining things however... I turned around to see two familiar faces I had met earlier on my journey.

Keith and Paul were the two bikers I stopped to share water with back in Zion, and are now on vacation with their families... In phillipsburg, montana of all places. Insanely small world. We exchanged contact information and went our separate ways. Keith offered to house me if I'm near Cour D'alene, an offer I might act upon.

294.png 295.png

A photo to remember such a chanced event.
  3. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I backtracked my way back to Drummond as I was running out of daylight. However instead of taking the freeway to Missoula, I remembered RG telling me of a frontage road that ran parallel with the freeway, only much more scenic and fun. I listened to his advice and rode it to Missoulla.

296.png 297.png

After that much saddletime I didn't really look for a place to camp so decided to grab an airbnb. Waiting for me were two of the friendliest cats ever.

298.png 299.png 300.png

As I left to grab dinner and drinks, one of them tried to tag along.

301.png

Clever.

302.png 303.png

The prices for drinks here are drastically cheaper than the bay.

304.png

Waiting for me at the airbnb.
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  4. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You all told me to take Lolo's pass and I listened. You guys weren't wrong. This is probably my favorite road of all time now. What a fun 200 miles to Lewiston... The roads were nice and fresh, and the scenery was out of this world.

305.png

99 miles seems like an understatement. All 200 miles were curve filled fun.

306.png 307.png 308.png 309.png 310.png 311.png 312.png
  5. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    313.png 314.png 315.png 316.png 317.png

Eventually I made it to Lewiston and rode the spiral/staircase? highway up to the summit. The views were awesome. On one side of the river you have Lewiston/Idaho, the other, Clarkston/Washington.

318.png 319.png
  6. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the pics. i grew up in western Montana (Missoula, Glacier park and all of the rest). the entire highway between Lolo and Lewiston is definitely worth the ride. Curves forever. Did you, by chance, take the road over Skalkaho Pass between Phillipsburg and Hamilton, MT? That is an amazing ride, lots of dirt, great roads. Ride on! love the report so far.
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  7. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made my way into a little college town known as Moscow when my bike started making really loud honking noises. I thought it was my front disc being warped because I swear it was coming from the front. I grabbed a last minute airbnb where I spent the night. I woke early the next day and took my bike to a shop. They concluded that the sound was coming from my rear wheel. A little pressed on time, I decided I didn't want them to take my rear apart and opted to just get an oil change. The shop was Spartan Industries, and the helpful folks were bryce and john.

320.png

Eastern washington looks fake. Where are the trees at yo?

321.png 322.png

I wanted to make my way into Seattle, but I was told by many to visit Leavenworth. What a lovely little place, where of course I got another steak.

323.png 324.png 325.png 326.png
    yakawars59 and Thumpercrazee like this.
  8. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The sound was obnoxiously loud now, so I rolled the bike into Cashmere powersports claiming my front was jacked. Mitch, the owner proceeded to tell me the front was fine and that everything was coming from the rear. One of the techs, donny, promptly took the rear apart and found that a piece of rubber in the rear brakes was stuck inside itself. He rolled it outwards and alas, no more noise!

328.png

don, left, and mitch, right, told me of a fun route I can take. It involves gravel and dirt so I was sold. Don led me to the start of the path and went on his way home. I would spend the next couple of hours exploring the area.

329.png 330.png

not long after setting out on an unexpected adventure, I got lost. Luckily for me a local named Bert, helped me find my way out. "Follow the powerlines".

331.png

A stoic man.

332.png

Gravel forever.

333.png

a fun mistake, no real side mission is complete without laying down the bike. Having short legs means finding angles at which you can park and drop a kickstand without the lean angle being too extreme. I thought using a bunch of sticks would be a good idea. The sticks instantly snapped against the weight of the loaded bike and she came tumbling over. She fell over with the slope of the hill so picking this up required me to remove pretty much everything on the bike. The whole process of getting her righted ate up 30 minutes. It was hot and humid and I was lazy.

334.png

eventually though, I found the powerlines, and followed them as were the words of bert.

336.png

all this adventuring gets pretty dirty.
    yakawars59 and Thumpercrazee like this.
  9. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finished the loop and decided to head to Seattle through Leavenworth, so I cycled back. I noticed my rear tire was nearing its end so I took it casual through the mountains and rivers.

337.png 338.png 339.png 340.png 341.png 342.png 343.png 344.png
  10. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't spend too too much time in Seattle. I spent the good portion of a day being a tourist and appreciating the views from where I can. The traffic was horrible and not being able to lane split felt prehistoric.

345.png 346.png

Mt. Rainer being shy.

347.png 348.png 349.png 350.png

gasworks is such a cool concept of a park. I love the decommissioned machinery being incorporated into an open area.

351.png 352.png 353.png
  11. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rain was relentless and my rear tire was getting pretty bald. I didn't want to do the 300 planned miles I had to do on an old tire in the rain so I called around until one shop stocked a shinko. I made my way there but the shop was too slammed to changed my tire for me. No matter I could do it myself, however they didn't want me doing it on their property. No worries, ride around until I found an empty spot to do so.

354.png
    355.png

someone loaned me a bike stand, however I was too lazy/weak to get the fat beast onto it. My trail stand was also doing fine. I used it as a backup incase the bike had other plans.

356.png

eventually everything came off and was put back on. I hate changing tires so I forgot to snap some pics in my frustrations. It also started raining harder and harder, so full rain gear eventually had to come on. My boots were soaked and I had to let them dry off. New socks were put on and full frogg toggs were donned.

357.png 358.png 359.png

I didn't make it to the coast like I originally planned. Instead I made my way into vancouver, into an airbnb. The entirety of my ride there looked like the photo below.

360.png
    Thumpercrazee and chudzikb like this.
  12. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I left vancouver and set out to my original plan of reaching Astoria. The goonies is one of my favorite movies so I had to visit the town.

361.png 362.png

crossing over into oregon from washington via that bridge thingy

363.png

beached boats???

364.png 365.png

a trickery of perspective, I'm a magician I know. I loved seeing how leisurely these boats made their way across the bay.

366.png

the infamous road to the infamous goonies house. I snapped this photo while being yelled at by the current owners to get out. oops.

367.png
  13. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the theme of the goonies, another must visit is cannon beach. I treated myself to some beer and a crab cocktail which was over all too quickly for the pricetag it boasted.

369.png 370.png

the beach itself was just like in the movies, minus all the people.

371.png 372.png

the plan was to head to tillamook for the night, and away I went.

373.png 375.png 376.png 377.png 378.png 379.png

Once again I am drawn to fishermen.
  14. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lincoln beach wasn't nearly as crowded as cannon beach. I had to make my way to coos bay and had a late start to my day so not too many photos were snapped.

380.png 381.png 382.png

The oregon coast is just amazing.

383.png 384.png

385.png

mike and his klr650, from texas with love.

386.png 387.png 388.png 389.png

I don't really need to type much to tell yall about the coast. Crossing into coos bay.