1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Western Romanticism

Discussion in 'Americas' started by foxton, Jun 25, 2020.

1. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regardless of covid, I was going to socially distance myself from people with a trip to Vancouver, however borders remain closed.

I did the next best thing, booked campsites at all the major american landmarks I've never been to.
    Starting in the San Francisco Bay Area, I am going to head south to LA, East to Utah and Colorado, back North into Montana, back west to the PNW, and cap it all off along the coast.

This is the intended "gist of it" route.

I mostly am excited about visiting yellowstone, managed to book 2 whole days there, and now with the remainder of the days booked up, cancelling or altering my reservation is impossible. A little bit of misplanning has me riding from Laramie WY to Cody, the longest stretch of riding by far.

If you are along the way, or close by, I'd love for ya to sign my bike, my goal is to fill her up with signatures of other riders I meet along the way. If you want to grab a beer, my vacation my treat!

Also if you have suggestions on routes, things to see/do, let me know!
    image (65).png
    sstracke and 9Realms like this.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    That desert stretch is going to be tough. Get an early start every day and try to knock out your miles before you get cooked alive. Keep hydrated. The northern half will be fantastic.
    foxton likes this.
  3. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on riding pretty early those days. hopefully get to where I need to be around noon and pitch tent and explore the area
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    You’ll likely want to find a place with A/C to chill out for the afternoons. Temperatures could easily top 110F and, at the very least, you need to stay out of the sun. Desert CA, Vegas and Arizona will be brutal. Southern Utah won’t be much cooler. Be careful - the heat can do a number on you. You might consider getting a Cool Vest or similar product.
  5. cervt366

cervt366 Always planing the next ride!

Oddometer:
    Depends on how you prepare for it. I road through Texas and on through San Louis Potosí Mexico in July 2017. All the way through Monterey Mx it went as high as 112 F.

I wore a light colored ADV (Firstgear Kilamonjaro) suit with tech wicking shirts underneath with a long neck wrap. I’d buy 2 liters of cold water. I’d drink one and flood the suit and neck wrap with the other.
    Or drink 16 once’s Gatorade and 16 water. But don’t forget to flood the suit and open the vents.

What ever you do don’t ride with t-shirt and shorts.
    You’ll pass out!
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  6. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are getting a hotel at Monument Valley. Look at camping at the Valley of the Gods.

LA to Vegas option https://goo.gl/maps/N7JD4C1zBcjUySdw6 Or skip Vegas and go through Amboy and Oatman on the way to Kingman.

If the south rim of the hot look at going to the north rim instead.
  7. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i didnt know how to input the camp information, but I am actually camping at monument valley! I managed to get a camp spot before it all got booked up and never updated this map! Im camping almost the entire trip, with the exception of LA, Vegas, Cody, Spokane, and Seattle.

I have friends in those cities and will be staying with them! I actually like your route a lot, I'm gonna see how I can fit that in and alter my current route
  8. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My only fear about getting into vegas is spending too much time riding in the heat, but if I do it early / late enough I think I can escape the majority of it.
  9. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    roger that, I'm hoping to get the majority of my riding done early in the morning!
  10. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    roger that, I've never ridden in temperatures that hot, would having just a tshirt and shorts cause more dehydration?
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    correct. Also, fifteen minutes in that sun is enough to give you a sunburn - an hour and you’ll be cooked. It ain’t nothing to mess around in. Source: Lived in Phoenix for 14 years.
    9Realms likes this.
  12. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    smart or not?
    should I bring two pairs of riding gear? I have a fully goretex set thats much thicker and even without the liners still get pretty hot. I also have the klim dakar set which I love for hot summer days, throw on some armor and a jersey and I can pretty much stand the heat. My question is, should I wear the dakar set throughout the southern portion of my trip, and then switch on over to the colder winter set when I reach colorado? the extra jacket/pants should take up roughly a third of my 100L wolfman bag so I still have a ton of room for the rest of my gear. Or should I bite the bullet and just stick with the heavier set and just plan to ride earlier / later in the day when there is no blazing sun...
  13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are in for a fantastic adventure my friend. It sounds like you might be newer to the world of long distance riding? Here's the first thing I would strongly recommend.

This is the bible of hot weather riding.
    http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Read it twice. The suit up and go for a day long test ride in the hottest area you can reach. If you do not do some personal experimenting, you might truly miss out on much of the joy of your trip.

I've ridden many 800 - 1,000 mile days. Death Vallery at 120*, Mojave, AZ, etc at 105 -112.
    Everything you need to know about surviving heat on a bike is counter intuitive. Don't believe your instincts. Believe the article linked above.

My top few tips?
    Zip up. only open your vents about 30%. Use a water bladder. If you have a clock on your bike, sip 2 or 3 sips every single ten minutes on the ten. You will retain more water and piss out less water. this is a biggee. When you are dehydrated you are much more lethargic and sleepy. a dangerous combination.
    Also leave your face shield down... but you'll figure that out quickly on your own.

Good luck and have fun!
    9Realms, tlub, Booghotfoot and 2 others like this.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Whether you need the heavier gear may depend on the elevations you ride on the northern leg. If you’ve got 9,000 feet and higher mountain passes - you’re likely going to need it. Temperatures may drop into the fifties at those elevations even at the warmest part of the day. Warm gloves or heated grips are a necessity. If you run into rain, the temperature may drop twenty degrees quickly.
  15. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    everything I thought I knew about heat is a lie!

below 93F it seems like I can just go fast to cool off, above? Zip up and drink lots of water. Will do. This was a fantastic read with accompanying thermodynamics I thought I left behind in college. Time to mount another gallon of water.
    Booghotfoot and Zubb like this.
  16. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I will be around the 5k and 6k elevations when im in glacier. I will bring the heavier set just in case due to them doubling as waterproof clothing. I think instead of a whole nother suit for the desert portion, after reading the pdf Zubb sent me, I will just have a pair of dirt pants for the desert which I will swap out once it gets cooler / wetter.
  17. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. foxton

foxton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oof, that will make the day substantially longer, I might not have time to see both the grand canyon and horseshoe bend in one day! I will find a way to break it up, thank you for bringing this up! Hopefully the east entrance makes a miraculous reopening by august (Fingers Crossed).

Lolo pass looks awesome from the images off google, however I am wondering if I should find a way to cross it while I'm headed up north to glacier or cross it after I pass through glacier...
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truth . . .

There are a TON of alternate routes you can take compared to what you showed.... but I didn't want to get started really as you have reservations at so many places. If I may ...

There are 3 absolutely not to be missed routes along your general loop.

1. Turn north at Vegas and the right at St. George. Zion National Park will blow your mind and you'll never forget it. Then carry on toward and up HY12 through Utah. Devils backbone, etc etc. Absolutely not to be missed. If you need to hit Denver, turn east at MOAB Utah and continue to fun. Do not ride up the east side of Wyoming (yawn). Go to Steamboat CO then north to WY and up the Wind River drainage to Thermopolis and beyond.
    2. LoLo Pass Montana. to Lewiston ID. Don't hit a deer or a moose or an eagle. Any of the three will ruin your day. Same goes for bears. DAMHIK
    3. At Lewiston ID, take a run up the spiral highway then return down and carry on thru Asotin WA, to Enterprise OR/ Wallawa Lake.
    Goodgod I can't help it...4. Back up to north WA for HY2 east to west toward Seattle. 5. I can't do it. This will go on all day!

Good luck picking a few winners out of all your options. The good news is, there all winners. Just get on and go!
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just adding my two cents ,from experience gained over a variety summertime rides in/through/across the desert southwest and Mexico where I encountered temperatures in the range of 40C to 45C and above , as in Death Valley in July .

I have never owned "riding suit" but have seen many riders sweltering and uncomfortable in them ,they were being overdressed . I would advise against bringing TWO riding suits.
    Instead I would recommend a variety of clothing and LAYERING. Then practice air flow management and radiation management . Mix and match in response to changing environment..
    Always w
    ear a mesh jacket and mesh pants of a roomy proportion . bring some comfortable roomy underwear and a fleece sweatshirt .
    If the air at elevation turns chill , or if it begins with cold rain respectively add an underlying garment or a wind breaking water shedding outer layer . I can ride thusly layered in a mesh jacket in freezing temperature . Keeping the helmet visor down when riding will prevent you feeling the heat-gun blast in the face. Bring lip balm .
    Drink plenty of water as you feel the need , your thirst response is indeed a good guide . Despite water being essential ,it is possible to drink too much which could distort your blood minerals levels and cause you to feel ill. I favour the camel approach - stop at intervals and drink a satisfying copious amount of water in one go . The costant sucking on a straw I find not satisfying . As long as you still need to stop to drain the bladder occasionally , once or twice during the day , you are good with the water intake .

When it gets hot to very hot wear a light layer under the mesh ,or two , to diminish the rate of airflow reaching your skin and in order to reduce the evaporation rate of your sweat . Suits with venting zippers will blast certain areas with warm air which then needs to find its way out at other spots . The mesh jacket & pants will allow a more even distribution of entering air and a more even evaporation and cooling effect .
    In extreme heat take time to repeatedly soak your underlying layer with water and it will act like an air conditioner until all water has evaporated and you notice the temperature rising again . Repeat the soaking.
    Bare skin exposed to full sun on a hot day ,air above body temperature , will not be cooled by evaporation , the sweat just goes straight into the air ,leaving its salt residue and you will also quickly get severe sunburn. Skin covered by only a single layer of tightly fitting textile will feel the instant heat of the sun striking it, as on your upper thighs .
    Take a good long shower every evening.
    ahung12 likes this.