Western Yoop Wanderings

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Higher Logic, May 13, 2021.

1. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:
    Weedtown was made famous recently by Jimmy Fallon.

Its all true ! :bubba

Its a pretty easy going place, its very modest, and its very small. Once you are 3 miles outta town, you are in rural Yooperland. National Forest is just a short hop east, and the biggest and deepest freshwater sea in the USA is less than 20 miles north.

This will be just random wandering with no real destination, no plan, very little map, no navigation or tech, and the occasional compass check that occures maybe a few times a year.

Otherwise, just fill the tank and explore. Much of the off pavement is 2nd and 3rd gear puttin. Never in any hurry, allways loafing along. I have all day and dont give a shit how much the odometer is turning. I allways take time to soak the journey in.

It will start out in early May with patchy snow still on the ski area's.

P1020446.jpeg

All the ice was off the flowages and lakes around the 2nd week of April.

P1020443.jpeg
  2. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    To the west a ways is Upson Wisconsin. Foster Falls is one of several in that county. I took about 25 miles of gravel backroads just for the hell of it and spent lunchtime at the falls.

The big spring run off was over, and it was average flow for now.

P1020453.jpeg
    RedEX, Jimmy C, stiernan and 6 others like this.
  3. havabusa

havabusa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was really surprised how much I liked riding through Wisconsin. It wasn't planned, just one of my roaming trips. I've never ridden Mich
  4. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    There is a huge variety of surfaces to ride. Most travelers only see a fraction of whats out there unless you have a local who knows how to connect things, and ways to avoid the well traveled routes.

The amount of groomed gravel and actual forest roads is vast. It can be firmish sand, dirt, some gravel, and even grassy two track. There is rough stuff and softer routes with no roadbed, but I never bother with either of those, as there is so much stuff thats way better, you have a zillion better choices.

If you want, you can turn off pavement on to actual named or numbered forest roads and ride for 6 hours all afternoon...........I saw 5 other vehicals in about 5 hours today........2 of em were US forest service trucks, 1 fisherman, 1 wandering guy, and one log truck.

Partly sunny, 68 degrees and about a 5 MPH south breeze.

P1020486.jpeg
    Tdubs13, RedEX, xcsks and 8 others like this.
  5. havabusa

havabusa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On that trip, I was on my ZX-14r, so I just saw what a cager would see.
  6. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Its just starting into the 5 month wildflower season. We had a snow shower about a week ago, and the tulips are just begining to start. Daffodills are at peak. Crocus are allready over and done.

The wildflower season has new ones pop up every week as other die off. Its a constant rotation of color and type till fall leaf color season. Its still real early so there are only several variety so far.

The marsh marigold are going strong now.

P1020458.jpeg

P1020459.jpeg

The Trillium are a bit past peak, but still hanging on in places.

P1020461.jpeg

The fiddleheads of emerging ferns are only several inches high. Some grow to waist high and beyond.

P1020464.jpeg
    Jimmy C, wildknits, Bad Dad and 5 others like this.
  7. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Paid a visit to Henry Lake in the ottawa national forest. Nobody there. Campground empty and just a few canadian geese. Beautiful dock made out of some new engineered plastic material that can hardly be told from real wood. Impressive pier by middle of nowhere, a dozen miles of gravel roads, and not anywhere near any town, standards ! :clap

The tree's are just starting to leaf out, and the ferns ( maybe, not sure ) by the shoreline are very young and hard to ID.

P1020473.jpeg

P1020469.jpeg

P1020476.jpeg
  8. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    You run across sections of forest that are obviously altered. No sign of forest fire. Instead, its old clearcut. It looks nasty when its recent, but in the long run, its for the better for some areas.

P1020480.jpeg

P1020481.jpeg
    Jimmy C, stiernan, N-Id-Jim and 4 others like this.
  9. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    As I was passing one of the dozens of small forest lakes, something white caught my eye as I was passing.

Out in the distance, a pair of white swans ! :clap

P1020478.jpeg

P1020479.jpeg
    Sal Pairadice, RedEX, Jimmy C and 7 others like this.
  10. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    Keep'em coming! Very nice.
    JRowland likes this.
  11. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Thanks !

This will be a ongoing thread as I ride this season. The hard part is I only know the common wildflowers. That only is a portion of whats out here. Many look similar to each other and I dont know one from the other.

I will do what I can for ID on them, but if anybody else knows far northern midwest wildflower names, please chime in. There will be dozens I need help with the ID.

And dont hate me too much as I post the temp and conditions this summer. I paid my dues in both central Florida and 100+ degree west for several years. :photog

Besides, we have angry fish with teeth and the bears are out of hibernation now.
    xcsks, wildknits, hock2e and 4 others like this.
  12. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    The little Bloodroot flowers are all mature alongside country ditches now.

P1020500.jpeg

P1020502.jpeg
    Tdubs13, Jimmy C, wildknits and 5 others like this.
  13. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread @Ever Onward. If ok with you may post a few photos from my 2019 Labor Day Trip to the Yoop. Need to get back up there again.
    JRowland likes this.
  14. Higher Logic

Oddometer:

Sure !

I have a serious backlog of pics from the last 2 years, but I will concentrate on the current ride season. If things get stale or repetitive, I will toss a few older ones in.
    JRowland likes this.
  15. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I’m glad you suffered a spell in the West just to meet you. :beer Sorry for the interfering green but here’s some potential dust in case you forget why you prefer home. Above the 45th parallel with huge water (Columbia) just down the hill. Yer welcome any time.

Attached Files:

16. Higher Logic

Oddometer:

Its a shame we didnt get to ride more there. I had alot of wild adventure there. No regrets at all, but the time had come to head towards greener, cooler, and wetter pastures.

The poof dust crash was the final nails in my western resident coffin, 6 months of recovery and $ 60,000 in medical bills was painfull. Dont get me wrong, it can happen anywhere at any time, and my time was due. The economics of the west was also a big strain. I needed to head to a cheap but adventerous place, hence back to Da Yoop.

I have no " Home ". Just places I live at for periods of time. I have had the urge to wander and explore ever since I was a teenager. I also like the comfort of coming back at the end of a day to a familiar place. Moving for a few years at a time to different locations has provided that experience for several decades for me. Its a easy way to absorb a area quite well as a local, and yet have a wide variety of adventure in many different places.

Adventure is where you make it ! It can be as vast and big as the distant horizon, or it can be as small as a 2 acre meadow just down the road from your garage.

And speaking of dust.............. we are having a dry spell in Da Western Yoop. Forest roads with shade are still firm and mostly dust free around all the small lakes, but higher up in exposed areas, the gravel roads that have newer topping and gradeing are getting dusty.

Once the spring thunder showers kick in, it will be good again. Till then, its best to avoid active logging areas. If you have ever encountered a fully loaded log truck coming toward you on a narrow forest road, at 30 MPH on a kinda loose gravel road, you will know the horror of the " Brown tunnel of death " ! :lol3

Fortunately. all was quiet by this little lake, and the mirror reflections were nice.

P1020485.jpeg
    Jimmy C, Toter, N-Id-Jim and 4 others like this.
  17. NCJ

NCJ Southern fried

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    psmcd likes this.
  18. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    A unusual thing happened as I was loafin along in 2nd gear in the lower section of the forest. I smelled sweet perfume. It came and went over a few hunnert yards, then it was gone.

I stopped to look at a small patch of small flowers in a shallow slope

, and there was the smell again. I thought it was odd I could smell this little patch from way back before I got there.

P1020492.jpeg

I rode on another quarter mile and FOOF !

Im overwhelmed by the intoxicating perfume ! Then suddenly, what looks like snow showers in the woods is endless rolling forest floor of Lanceleaf Spring Beauty flowers !

They went on for as far as the eye could see in all directions ! A stupendous display of blooming forest ground cover with the sweetest spring aroma.

P1020497.jpeg

P1020490.jpeg

P1020495.jpeg
    Tdubs13, longjt, RedEX and 14 others like this.
  19. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Paid a visit to a 52 foot tall Indian Chief today ! :lol3

The Hiawatha chief was brought to Ironwood in '64. It was quite the big deal. It was claimed to be " The worlds tallest Indian ". It stood for decades and the weather took its toll. A fund drive was held and in 2019 they restored the Chief to his former glory. He faces the downtown area of old Ironwood from high on the hill. You can see him from quite a ways away if you use binoculars from the lower areas.

P1020505.jpeg

P1020507.jpeg

xcsks, Jimmy C, Bigbob1 and 5 others like this.
  20. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Things are changing VERY fast in the forest now that temps have warmed up alot. Leaves have doubled in size in only a day.

P1020523.jpeg

Still in the dry spell, so creeks are pretty quiet with light flow. Makes the brook trout very easy to spook when its like this.

P1020525.jpeg

Parts of the forests are filling in and with mid day sun, its like riding through a glowing tunnel of spring greenery on a smooth magic carpet of firm dirt .

P1020555.jpeg

Some of the ferns are really growin like weeds. A few are allmost 2 feet tall allready.

P1020556.jpeg

P1020557.jpeg
    Jimmy C, N-Id-Jim, Krons and 2 others like this.