Western Yoop Wanderings

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Higher Logic, May 13, 2021.

1. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    @Ever Onward, I was wondering about a certain area that you may have been to. I enjoy using my big atlas, and certain features such as look-out towers always seem intriguing. In the Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer for Michigan, (page 27 of current edition), I see one of these at the north end of Underwood Tower Rd. It's roughly east of Wakefield, running north from 28 near Tula, in Ontonagon County/Ottawa National Forest. It's also not far from the Presque Ile River. I was thinking of trying to look for it. Have you been to the tower?
  2. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:

No, have not been to that one. I just got skunked on a fire tower adventure this week. I tried to find the Upson Fire tower only to find its been replaced with some sort of new radio tower instead.

Im waiting for past labor day to go back into more of the Ottawa National Forest once tourist season is over and fall colors get stronger.
    RedEX likes this.
  3. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    The sumac is comin into season up near the high ridge's over Lake Superior.

P1030834.jpeg

I guess you could say the Black Eyed Susan's are doin pretty good this week ! :lol3

P1030804.jpeg

P1030806.jpeg
    drhippie2, Chethro, hock2e and 3 others like this.
  4. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    The north facing rock cliffs are liking the rain showers. Moss is green and soft.

P1030774.jpeg

More signs Autumn is just a few weeks away.

P1030785.jpeg

Lupine's are now full seed. Time to harvest soon.

P1030786.jpeg
    JRowland, hock2e and Chethro like this.
  5. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Some of the yellow Mullein are gettin mighty tall .

P1030810.jpeg

Cant ID these purple flowers, but seem kinda like some sort of Knapweed.

P1030811.jpeg

P1030814.jpeg

The tops of the tall grasses are all browning off, some leaves are getting some red and the greens are getting less vibrant. You can feel the shift toward summers end.

P1030816.jpeg
  6. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Just weeds, wildflowers and empty grandstands at the abandoned horse racing track of the Iron County fairgrounds in Saxon.

P1030852.jpeg

P1030839.jpeg

P1030850.jpeg
  7. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    I heard long ago this might have been some sort of jailhouse in Montreal Wisconsin. Looks like its all redone and for sale now. Very cool building.

P1030902.jpeg

All quiet at the secret picnic area on the Montreal River.

P1030867.jpeg
    JRowland, hock2e, RedEX and 3 others like this.
  8. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Montreal was originally called Hamilton. Its was a company built town for the Iron miners.

The native fieldstone machine house building is around 250 feet long, and a huge amount of square footage. Thats my bike parked at the end for scale !

P1030901.jpeg

P1030900.jpeg

P1030888.jpeg
  9. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    This is the full length of the machine shop.

P1030890.jpeg

The end has a quite unusual tree thing going on.

P1030893.jpeg

It appears a little sapling grew under the steel grate stair landing years ago. It then grew through the grate and REALLY took off from there on. It has grown quite the base on top of the landing and appears to be doing just fine !

P1030894.jpeg

P1030896.jpeg
    RedEX, b00sted, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  10. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    For at least the last 3 decades the building has operated seasonally from about halloween thru early december as Rose Wreath factory. They make christmas wreath's.

Its quite a big deal with mostly woodsmen bringing in pine bough's and mostly women tieing them into wreaths. During lean years this was one of the few ways to make money in the area during that time of year.

It was a way to make cash before the ski area's started running the chairs for winter.

P1030903.jpeg
  11. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    The yellow Prairie Goldenrod is starting to mature.

P1030937.jpeg

P1030936.jpeg

The combo's are endless in some fields. So many different things in bloom all at once.

P1030940.jpeg
    JRowland and Chethro like this.
  12. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Found a area full of 2 foot tall yellow flowering stuff. Cant ID this thing. Looks like a member of the wild pea family.

P1030943.jpeg

P1030944.jpeg

After a few tries to locate the Upson fire tower, I have come to the conclusion it has been replaced many years ago by some sort of radio tower now. Its pretty tall.

P1030945.jpeg
    RedEX, Chethro and JRowland like this.
  13. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    The magenta Fireweed is now 4 feet tall and in full bloom.

P1030950.jpeg

P1030949.jpeg

And found a lone Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.

All by itself, 6 feet tall, super sturdy stalk. Some single stalk Sativa, all by its lonesome.

P1030928.jpeg

P1030933.jpeg
    Bigbob1, Surcease, RedEX and 3 others like this.
  14. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everything ok up there?
    hock2e and Surcease like this.
  15. Higher Logic

Oddometer:
    Yup !

Just busy, ............. REAL busy !!! Real estate crap with a sketchy seller, have to hold everybodys hand 24 / 7 to try and make the deal go through. Sold a few sleds, tryin to buy another and gettin a few more machines ready for shows and sales. Lots of shit going on all at once.

Did squeak out a nice ride the other day. Started at 58 , went up to a high of 76.

P1020984.jpeg

P1020992.jpeg
    longjt, Bigbob1, Surcease and 5 others like this.
  16. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Hi @Ever Onward! Back home now, but I passed through Wakefield on Sunday. Nice town, Sunday Lake looked very pretty in the afternoon sunshine. Have you been to Wolf Mountain? I saw that on the map and went to check it out. That was a pretty decent hike to the top. I was the only human being down that road and on that mountain, and the scenery and view from the top was amazing! I truly felt as though it was my own personal mountain.
    It was definitely one of the high points of my trip. (No pun intended!)

20210801_152507.jpg
    Bigbob1, Surcease, Chethro and 2 others like this.
  17. Robin R

Robin R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there still much evidence of copper mining in the UP, I come from Cornwall and know that a lot of Cornish miners went out there, when the call for miners went out. The mining industry in Cornwall was in a slump in the later part of the 19th century, so it made sense to go where the work was.

I have heard that you can still find a decent Cornish pasty in the UP, something you would struggle to find in England. It isn’t a given even in Cornwall these days, though possible if you know where to look.
  18. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of crumbling ruins these days, and especially around the Keweenaw Peninsula (which juts northward off the main area of the Upper Peninsula.) Not sure if any mines are still active. I actually had a very good pasty while on this trip, (don't know if Cornish though!), in Ontonagon, which is roughly between the Keweenaw Peninsula and the Porcupine Mountains state wilderness area. What is now that state park was once home to dozens of short-lived mining ventures; the park area is 60,000 acres with few roads, mostly hiking trails which can take you to some of these old sites.

This was just outside of Ontonagon, shortly before enjoying that pasty. Built in 1900, this must have been an impressive building in its day. It served as the county "Poor Farm", set on 200 acres and housing indigent miners and others. Some of those poor souls may very well have been Cornish. The owner of the pasty shop is part of the family that now owns this property.
    20210729_115320.jpg 20210729_120432.jpg

This is from an earlier trip I made to the U.P.. The Quincy mine, near Hancock, in the Keweenaw Peninsula.
    IMGP2522_3_4_5_6.jpg
  19. Robin R

Robin R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, I did a search on the Quincy mine and it seems that there are several mine operations that offer tours. I do wonder if any of the engine houses still exist from the beam engine era, the engines for those might well have come from makers in Cornwall.

The pasties the miners would take down the mines with them would not be the same as an above ground pasty, with a really tough crust that was just there to house the contents. With filthy hands from the work holding the pasty, they would eat the contents and throw the crust away at the end.
    RedEX and JRowland like this.
  20. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Good info, in that case it was not a genuine Cornish pasty!
    Trying not to derail what @Ever Onward has started with his thread, (too much!). Kinda waiting to see if he pops back in one of these days again, I wanted to touch base about my second quest to find the Underwood Hill lookout tower. :ear
    JRowland likes this.