1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Western Yoop Wanderings

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ever Onward, May 13, 2021.

1. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    To say the loggers had a good season would be a big understatement !

In this log lot alone, there were 10 rows of logs this size and length. It was a small operation with a small crew. I watched it grow over several months. They have allready hauled at least 1/3 of what they had piled here.

P1020546.jpeg
    Bigbob1 and chethro like this.
  2. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    P1020550.jpeg

Out by Wakefield , all was quiet as a mouse at the top of Indianhead ski area. Nothing but songbirds and the sound of the breeze blowin through the still and empty chairlifts.

P1020527.jpeg
    RedEX, Jimmy C, Bigbob1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    I went through the backside of Ramsay and ran across this old hot rod. I think its about a '36 Dodge ?

According to a nearby neighbor its been sitting there a dozen years since the owner got a nasty divorce. In the decades beforehand, he remembers it running around the area. It had a Ford 302 and 4 on the floor.

Ya gotta love the rear turnsignal and headlight on stalks.

He said at one time, it hap a pipe tube front bumper.........but it gets weirder........the exhaust manifolds were made to exit pointing forward, and the exhaust came out the ends of the front bumper !

Well, all I can say is although weed was not legal here back then............ it most certainly was around !!

P1020541.jpeg

P1020542.jpeg

P1020543.jpeg

P1020544.jpeg
  4. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    The other day all the little blue Forget-me-nots popped up.

They sprout like crazy ! Everything from the middle of a mowed lawn to out in the old log roads of the forest, to any roadside ditch.

P1020553.jpeg

P1020534.jpeg
  5. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Not to be outdone with the Forget-me-nots is the tough as nails Dandelion !

Its not that uncommon to see a entire 80 acre carpet of em if ya know where ta go !

P1020608.jpeg

P1020610.jpeg
  6. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Things are leafing out at the Lake Gitchigumi overlook. It happens slower herenear the shore due to the colder air coming off the lake compared to further inland.

P1020564.jpeg

Superior Falls is running very weak right now since they have set the dam spillway for drought conditions right now. In wet conditions and spring melt, this can be rageing.

P1020570.jpeg

Further along is Saxon Harbor. Its right on the Wisconsin border. Lake Superior ( Gitchigumi ) is the largest , deepest, and coldest freshwater lake in America.

It swallowed the Edmund Fitzgerald and hunnert of other ships when it turns nasty. It can be very violent and brutal when gale force winds and storms blow in. It also so big and cold, it creates its own microclimates.

There are days that are amazingly awesome though. This was one of those weekdays.

P1020575.jpeg

The rounded lake rocks are quite varied and endless. They include agates and layered sandstone amongst a dozen other types.

P1020574.jpeg

If you use a UV blacklight to search in low light conditions, you can find the highly sought after Yooperlight Glow rocks !

RedEX, Jimmy C, Bigbob1 and 3 others like this.
  7. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    The amount of driftwood this year is big !

Anything from bits and pieces the size of your finger up to something the size of the keel of a sailboat.

I search out pipe size unique pieces and fashion them into handcrafted driftwood pipes. I try not to alter their shape, yet have a very functional pipe that fits in the palm of your hand. It can take a half hour of searching through woodpiles like this to find one or two excellent candidates. They have to ba a harder wood, and be weathered just right so its a super minimal sanding job before applying spar varnish for a finish.

P1020579.jpeg
    Jimmy C, JRowland and chethro like this.
  8. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    There are bands on the beach that have different combos of size rock and driftwood. I go for a band that has right size rock combined with right size driftwood when Im on a hunting mission.

P1020587.jpeg

It takes practice to know how to spot rocks when they are dry. They dont allways stand out so much.

P1020586.jpeg

They look dramatically different when they are in shallow water.

P1020590.jpeg

Some of the best hunting is about 10 feet out in shallow water.

P1020595.jpeg

Attached Files:

RedEX, Jimmy C, drhippie2 and 4 others like this.
  9. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    If you are extra lucky, you know somebody who is looking for a deckhand on a blowboat for nice days.

P1020598.jpeg
  10. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice thread! I like the Idaho plated Yooper bike too.. I heard them glow rock can be used at nite for baiting snipes ! Iz dat true :)
  11. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    At our place on Lake Erie we hunt beach glass

2F20476F-E7DD-4D34-B624-B744DA248EB2.jpeg

Daph and I both like to walk the beach a lot so we have a bunch of it.

Is Superior where the glass bottom boat tour is that goes by an old lighthouse across from some beach Kid Rock filmed some video on? I’m pretty sure we ran into that shortly after Pictured Rocks.
    chethro likes this.
  12. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

Very cool !

I have mistaken beach glass for agate's several times. I dont find very much where I go, but I imagine there is more near the populated areas.

Yes, Kid Rock's song Born Free was partly filmed in Da Yoop. The beach scenes were shot by Pictured Rocks near Munising.

RedEX, Bigbob1 and JRowland like this.
  13. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the video, first time I've seen it. The tour guide told us he filmed it there. It's an amazingly beautiful area! I really enjoyed the cliffs, Lake Erie doesn't have any of those anywhere near me.
  14. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Most of the western yoop lakeshore of Gitchigumi is some sort of cliff. Its mainly red dirt over towards Wisconsin ( hence the Red Cliff band of chippewa indians over by Bayfield Wisconsin ), then you go east toward Munising and it evolves into rock by Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

I highly reccomend a visit, just dont go during peak summer tourist days and times. If you catch it during a weekday and not between memorial day and labor day, that would be best.
    Either a boat tour, or even better a sea kayak tour. On real good and cold winters things freeze over and it takes on another entirely different vibe.

I also hunt the base of the dirt cliffs for a very unique rock.........they are called " Concretions " .

https://www.pinterest.com/carincharris/pictured-rocks-national-lakeshore-michigan/

lake-superior-concretions_1_b39659f724bbef24dd4d945df5d25c3c.jpg
    TownPump, Jimmy C and JRowland like this.
  15. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    I ran across a interesting piece of tree. Its a piece of a Paper Birch.

As they die off, they fall over onto the forest floor. As time goes on the core rots away and the birch bark stays good. Ultimately, if it isnt crushed it ends up a a hollow tube of birch bark.

These are sought after by many crafters and made in to all sorts of northland art.

P1020604.jpeg

P1020600.jpeg

P1020605.jpeg
    RedEX, Jimmy C, Bigbob1 and 6 others like this.
  16. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Flowing waterways are called different names kinda in accordance to their size.

Rivers tend to be bigger, streams tend to be medium size, and brooks / creeks seem to be pretty small. I cant say I have run across many creeks with marked and named " Rapids ". :lol3

I turned down Boomer Creek road and followed it a few miles till it came to a dead end logging area ( wasnt marked dead end at the beginning....... very typical in this area ).

I had not noticed a sign that was on the ground when I went past, I propped it back up.

P1020615.jpeg

And sure enough, there were creek size rapids !
    The moss was very lush on the rocks with all the moisture and shade.

P1020616.jpeg
    RedEX, Jimmy C, wildknits and 2 others like this.
  17. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Later in the day, I swung back through the middle of Ramsay. I noticed the tulips were at peak on the sunny side of this very well kept, turn of the century , Classic Yooper style house.

The term " Pride in ownership " is obvious, especially in this area since all the iron mining was shutting down in 1962. Many a house from this era is now in bad shape or gone due to the lack of money for upkeep in the area.

P1020535.jpeg

Out on the main street through town, one of the old false face front buildings still stands, but is gettin tired. I love the stamped tin siding on the upper half. I bet it was cool a hunnert years ago. There used to be a few cool old taverns in town. Now its down to just one fancier place and it only open tourist hours and days. Sad.

There still was a old funky tavern up the street just a few years back. You got a drink card and when you got it stamped full, you got a free drink. You also could roll dice during your visit to score a free drink. A very old piece of tavern games now sadly gone.

P1020540.jpeg

Across the street from the taverns is a small park with a stream running through. A very, very quiet area, and I rarely see anybody there. Across the stream is a cool masonry platform that has a M 3 Light Tank from early WW II.

There is no plaque, and I dont know the backstory, but its been there over 30 years since I first saw it.

P1020536.jpeg

P1020537.jpeg

P1020538.jpeg

P1020539.jpeg

M3-light-tank-tennessee-maneuvers.jpg
    RedEX, Jimmy C, Bigbob1 and 4 others like this.
  18. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Headed east over into Wisconsin, the Yellow Bell Wort are blooming now. The Montreal river still has good flow and now that its rain showers should hold good for fishing the next month.

P1020565.jpeg

P1020566.jpeg

P1020622.jpeg

P1020620.jpeg
    Jimmy C, wildknits, Bigbob1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    I ran into a very old and small road of sorts that went into the backwoods toward a higher ridge. It obviously had not had any traffic on it in a while. I figured it might have been to a logging area..........WRONG.

It ended at a sort of rock mining quarry. I cant say what they were actually after, but the black rock is used locally for driveway gravel when crushed up. There is a variety of different rock in the cliff. Im no geologist so I cant say what they are, but it looks pretty cool,

You can see big pieces where they have bored a hole the diameter of a tennis ball in the rock, loaded explosives, and then installed the blasting caps to set the explosives off. Musta been quite the blast to bring down rock this size and density !

P1020634.jpeg

P1020633.jpeg

P1020636.jpeg

P1020637.jpeg

There were a bunch of white flowering plants blooming amongst the rocks on the south facing side.

P1020632.jpeg

P1020631.jpeg
    RedEX, Jimmy C, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  20. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    We had some rain showers and then real heat for a few days ( mid 70's ).
    This has made growth of all vegetation SKYROCKET ! Flowering trees and shrubs are really coming into bloom by the hour practically. This coming week will be amazing.

The Gile Flowage across into Wisconsin had a nice breeze and the flowering trees were leafing out quick. These were bare just a few days before.

P1020625.jpeg

P1020629.jpeg
    Jimmy C, RacingBlue, Bigbob1 and 4 others like this.