Western Yoop Wanderings

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ever Onward, May 13, 2021.

1. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Went westward into Iron County Wisconsin to a area near Gurney. Made it to where the North Country National Scenic trail winds around.

The trail goes right through Wren Falls. A super cool steep rock gorge. Very convoluted and a bit of a tricky hike, but well worth it. Its the Tyler Forks river.

Its a bit of a tough 2 track the last bit, and its soft and rough near the end. It would be a challenge after a rain on anything less than my DR with decent tires.

https://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/wren.shtml

P1030456.jpeg

P1030459.jpeg

P1030461.jpeg

P1030466.jpeg
  2. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    The trail goes all the way around both sides of the gorge with a fantastic bridge that crosses the river. Its rugged, but cool stuff along the way. Lots of small view points of different sections of the river and the falls.

P1030468.jpeg

P1030470.jpeg

P1030471.jpeg
    RedEX, hock2e, chethro and 2 others like this.
  3. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Several different varietys of deep forest moss. This light colored patch right alongside a conventional green patch was about 5 inches tall and very spongey, fluffy.

P1030472.jpeg

P1030473.jpeg
    RedEX, NCJ, hock2e and 3 others like this.
  4. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Everything is soft and green. Lots of ferns line the trail route.

P1030474.jpeg

P1030476.jpeg

There were a few very exotic colored darning needle flys around. Their body's were a green / blue chrome color, and the wings were gloss black !

P1030479.jpeg
    Surcease, RedEX, hock2e and 2 others like this.
  5. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    As you finally make your way to the far side of the narrows. Its a high rock cliff, alot of it in the shade, with moss, ferns and un even rock. You need to take caution and step carefully to not slip or trip as you make it to the edge. One slip and you could be headfirst into the falls. Its entirely possible if it wasnt a holiday week that nobody else might come along for a few days. Not a situation you want when adventuring solo.

P1030480.jpeg

P1030482.jpeg

P1030485.jpeg
    RedEX, hock2e, chethro and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    After the far side, I hiked back around to the bike and went out on the tall rock cliff penninsula. Its not for the squeamish, those afraid of heights, or anybody prone to vertigo. It get narrow, rock is uneven and jagged, and nowhere to catch yourself if you fall. I took each step and made sure I was planted before I took the next.

You also would be wise to be sure your camera strap is attached real well. I know some folks dont think Forma Adventure boots are tough enough for ADV, but the soles and the compound of the tread on stuff like this is great. Far better than some of the other more armor oriented boots. Its a trade off.

Havin had both, Im stickin with the Forma's since its far more likely I would get hurt with all the hiking I do in em than crashing on the bike.

Just wanted to warn folks with hard plastic like boots with hard soles. Alot of these waterfall shots are taken from very nasty rock outcroppings. You dont want to slip.

P1030488.jpeg

P1030490.jpeg

Lotsa cool cedar trees all around. They sometimes grow straight out of a crack in the rock !

P1030491.jpeg

P1030492.jpeg
    RedEX, hock2e, chethro and 2 others like this.
  7. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    P1030494.jpeg

P1030496.jpeg

It was gettin hot up on the rocks, and I would guess it was near 70 degrees from the suns reflection.

Time to head to a safe place it the shade and have a cold one before heading out.

P1030498.jpeg
    Krons, hock2e, chethro and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    For those needing a visual image to find Wren Fall's, and you will encounter a few sketchy junctions trying,..............

Simply look for the 50 year old brown sign thats all shot up, and the artistic font letters ! :photog

P1030506.jpeg
    RedEX, hock2e, chethro and 1 other person like this.
  9. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would miss the hills, but I do like your area. Between riding and canoeing the lakes I think I could have a blast. :nod
    Krons, JRowland and Ever Onward like this.
  10. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    I wish I had more time and ambition to kayak around here. I have not bought a yak since moving back, knowing I would not get enough done on the 3 property's Im currently fixing and dealing with........... and still put in time to ADV with motorbikes and sleds ! :lol3

Cant do it all as a one man stoner show ! :lol2

There is a super wide variety of water to play with. Some is navigable to various extents, other stuff is hike in tight fishing only. The thing thats super hard for me to turn a blind eye is the affordability for a handy guy to find a fixable 24 foot sailboat for cheap, and the low cost of either a slip, or in and out dry dock across the road for extra super cheap on Lake Superior. I have passed up several great deals for only a few grand that only needed a little TLC and $ 500 in materials.

I know the danger of the inland ocean, and the pleasant season is only about 4 months long, so Im honest enough to know it would take over alot of spare time, and things would suffer elsewhere. Hell, Im still fixing stuff from this last snowmobile season to sell off ! :rofl
    RedEX, Krons, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  11. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    A ways east is a small country cemetary out by itself. Nearest little village of Upson is a ways south.

Its actually two cemetarys. Greenwood on the west side of the road, and directly across the road on the east side is Calvary. They appear to be built by the same builder and look to be same age. Ornamental metalwork on the gates is very turn of the century style. I cant find much history on either other than burial dates.

It seems as if both civilians and military are buried on both sides ? Greenwood also seems to have several deaths of under 1 year of age from back in the pioneer age of the area.

P1030360.jpeg

P1030359.jpeg

On the Calvary side, some are very well cared for.

P1030364.jpeg

P1030367.jpeg
    JRowland, hock2e and chethro like this.
  12. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Others have lichens growing on them like beards and mustaches on the figurines.

P1030370.jpeg

This one was all by itself. Yet somebody put plastic flowers by it. Im wondering why the rest of the marker was never engraved ? Odd.

P1030372.jpeg

This is the typical old school arrangement with a family. Main stone in the middle, and seperate headstones for each person.

P1030365.jpeg
    JRowland likes this.
  13. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Some have fallen to just bits and pieces.

P1030366.jpeg

Some have had trees grow so much, it squeezes the marker tight.

I find old country cemetarys interesting. It tells a story of a rural area. Its interesting to think this was a small dirt road, and mostly nothing but horse and buggy when it first came to be.

P1030371.jpeg
  14. GasMich

GasMich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures and storyline. Rode in the area years ago.
  15. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Ran across a unexplainable sign on a gravel road.

Closest ski area is several miles away, and this is not really any route to or from it.

Seems mostly snowboard / skater related. Maybe a secret meet up and party spot from a few years back ?

P1030411.jpeg

P1030413.jpeg
    JRowland likes this.
  16. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    The cat tails are growin good. Last years are fluffin out now, and this years leaves are chest high and growin fast.

P1030405.jpeg

Everything all nice and quiet out at Upson Lake. Lots of small minnows near the landing.

P1030397.jpeg

P1030398.jpeg
    JRowland likes this.
  17. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    The old Upson town hall is a cool brick and masonry building. A real cool entry door area. The brickwork and masonry owl's are neat.

P1030374.jpeg

P1030375.jpeg

P1030378.jpeg

P1030377.jpeg

The rose bushes out back are kinda left to time and nature. But, they still bloom.

P1030381.jpeg
    RedEX, hock2e, Bigbob1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How long do you figure is your moto riding season? My wife and I are both retired now, and we are thinking of a move to the UP for the quiet, the green, the trails, and (believe it or not) the snow...

19. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

Well, if you want to include snowmobiling, I ride about 11 months a year. There is about 4 to 6 weeks a year where its just not worth riding one or the other. All other times its great. You do need the right gear to be comfy from October thru April, but if you do that, you would be shocked how great it is if you have not tried it yet.

Sleddin is actually more comfortable than a motorbike in the cold. Motorbike season is basically late March thru October. Sled season is December thru March. November is garage wrenchin month. Wait till you see what property and taxes cost here ! You will be stunned if you are used to Sconny pricing ! :D

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
  20. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    The milkweed is starting to bloom and the Monarch butterfly's are very happy about that.

P1030507.jpeg

This is the best patch of Black Eyed Susan's I have spotted so far.

P1030503.jpeg
    hock2e and JRowland like this.