Western Yoop Wanderings

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ever Onward, May 13, 2021.

1. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    March through October - that's basically what I get here in southern Wisconsin. I can live with that. Not sure how my wife would take to my getting a snowmobile, but who knows. We've never lived where the snow comes so deep and lasts so long...

We did a bit of exploring around Ontanogan a couple years ago. I was pretty amazed at the low house prices, but the town did seem a bit depressed after a mine closure. Still - and this was October - a lovely and vibrant little town. If I can find a decent cafe and a good coffee place I'm happy. We hiked in the Porkies, rode mountain bikes, drank beer from Kewanau (sp?) Brewing... A good time was had by all. We've also been snowshoeing and ice climbing around Pictured Rocks. The UP is really lovely, an under appreciated place. I kinda hope it stays that way. Can't have it going all Colorado...

RedEX likes this.
  2. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    The Yoop varies quite alot weather wise and snow wise from area to area. Anywhere near the great lakes shore the temp is moderated by the lake water in relation. Several miles inland can be very different.

Lake effect snow can also be a HUGE difference. I live in the " Big Snow " band of western Yoop. It can have double the snow of nearby areas. The Keweenaw penninsula can have double what we have ! It can be as different as 3 inches on the lake michigan shoreline area and 3 feet up near Calumet at the same time.

Sledding is amazing ! The groomed trail system is vast and very well kept. A outfitter will rent sleds by the day to give it a try. A good one right here in Ironwood rents these awesome 4 stroke Ski Doo touring sleds.........the cadillac of snowmobiles. We also have 5 different alpine ski areas, and hunnerts of kilometers of groomed XC sking and snowshoeing. Its a winter wonderland for sure.

The cool thing about winter is its like a completely different area than summer on the sled trails. Its like going to a whole other area every 6 months of season change.

BTW, Ontonogon real estate is very pricey compared to here alot of the time.

P1000296.jpeg

P1000561.jpeg
    RedEX, xcsks, Surcease and 3 others like this.
  3. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    I rode out to Mellen Wisconsin then angled up towards Gurney. Along the way I spotted a sign going north. Turns out it was a Bad River Indian reservation road. Boy, did that lead to a rural adventure !

P1030522.jpeg

The roads were super smooth and firm, but very little signs of vehical use, ......................... VERY little. I did not see a single car or person for the next 3 hours....... nothing.

No pull offs, no driveways, no camps, no cabins. Nothing. No sign of man ever being there except the road and bridges.

I started to run into Turks Cap Lily's alongside the road. Love the droopy upside down flower buds.

P1030524.jpeg

P1030521.jpeg
    RedEX, JRowland and chethro like this.
  4. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    After a few miles came this great bridge.

As with most all American indian rez, steel traffic signs serve a important job .......... target practice !

P1030509.jpeg

P1030510.jpeg

P1030511.jpeg
    JRowland and chethro like this.
  5. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    I climbed down to the riverside beach and found it to be the Potato River. I also spotted the nicest grafitti done very cleanly I have seen on a rez.

P1030513.jpeg

P1030515.jpeg
    RedEX, JRowland and chethro like this.
  6. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Close by the Potato river beach was first some pink Musk Mallow flowers, then further along was some great 4 foot high white Queen of the Meadow blooms.

P1030512.jpeg

P1030518.jpeg
    hock2e, JRowland and chethro like this.
  7. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    This sign has dual meanings.

First is " Trucks take note, steep hill ahead "

Second is the tribes version, ........ " We shoot white mans tires out on downhill. " :lol3

P1030525.jpeg

P1030526.jpeg
    hock2e, JRowland and chethro like this.
  8. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    At the bottom of the hill was this great bridge over the Bad River. There had been a good rain storm a day or so before, and sadly this river is full of farm runoff and erosion from upstream. Its rarely, if ever, half way clear water. Its pretty much one of the only area rivers with this kind of problem.

P1030527.jpeg

P1030528.jpeg

P1030529.jpeg
    JRowland, Bigbob1 and chethro like this.
  9. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Another 15 miles of gravel road go by with nothing but forest for as far as the horizon, then another few miles to the next horizon, then another batch of miles to the next horizon................ then suddenly, A INTERSECTION !

I looked for a sign, but all that was left was the pole.

And what a pole it was ! I have never seen one shot clean through this much before.

About this time, the thought crosses my mind " I wonder what a angry Bad River rez guy will think of a old white guy with a long pony tail on some shiney motorbike, ridin around solo on HIS rez ? "

I then figured to try and not find out. Time to head north to the big highway.

P1030530.jpeg

P1030531.jpeg
  10. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    As I point the bike north, I see something across the intersection.

Yup, its a tribal " Yield to all big caliber bullet's " sign !

Definately time to head north.

P1030532.jpeg

P1030533.jpeg
    JRowland and chethro like this.
  11. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:

More common to have muddy rivers here than clear unfortunately. Some lakes, creeks and rivers always look like chocolate milk.
    JRowland likes this.
  12. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

Cant give a like to that post there. I thought of your flood pics when I found the Bad River and found it to be full Yoo - Hoo milk color. :lol3

I used to own a farmette in Southern Wisconsin. Lots of errosion runoff when big summer thunderstorms hit down there.

Up here its alot of sandy soil and rock, along with filtering vegetation in most places. Most flowing water is clean except for the golden tannin's tinting it.
    JRowland likes this.
  13. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Rode several miles north and still didnt hit the big highway I expected to.

Did pass a half dozen curve signs though. Most were less readable than this one.

Some nice flowers though.

P1030534.jpeg
    hock2e likes this.
  14. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    P1030537.jpeg

P1030538.jpeg
    chethro, hock2e and JRowland like this.
  15. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    About another 5 miles more and I finally hit pavement. A dozen miles after that I stopped at the highway quicky mart and tavern off Da rez. Stocked up on Miller corn cobbers, ate fresh fries and thanked the white mans guardian angle's I never saw a person the whole time .

At first it was cool, but about 20 miles in, and it being super remote, and obviously rarely traveled, I cant say it was relaxing with all the shot to piss signs. If I wasnt solo, It would have been alot less worrysome. My little flip phone had no service the entire time.

As a parting shot I looked back as I left the final curve........ yup, another "Leaner" nearly shot off da pole !

P1030540.jpeg

P1030541.jpeg
    RedEX, chethro and JRowland like this.
  16. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Decided to carry on north all the way to Lake Superior.

Along the way, I found a great patch of purple Crown Vetch. Im told they used to be planted by road crews for erosion control in ditches long ago.

P1030542.jpeg

P1030547.jpeg
    chethro, JRowland and Bigbob1 like this.
  17. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    The beach at Gitcheegumi had a strong NW breeze comin on shore and the temp was around 64.

Some cool driftwood in the piles these days.

P1030550.jpeg

P1030551.jpeg

P1030554.jpeg

P1030558.jpeg
  18. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Its allways cooler near the lake...........

In a multitude of different dimensions ! :thumb

P1030573.jpeg

P1030578.jpeg
    chethro, JRowland and Bigbob1 like this.
  19. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember that from when we were there and it shows in a lot of your pictures too, lots of tannins.
    Ever Onward likes this.
  20. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Alot like medium body beer in a way ! :photog

The only water that hasn't got some level of tannin is Lake Superior which is crystal clear if it has no storm runoff in it.
    JRowland likes this.