WestFest 2011 - Darby ReDo - Official info & signup thread

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by WestFest, Jan 18, 2011.

1. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:
    Well, dayum.

It looks like we had fun! :clap

Got home, pics to follow.
  2. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Great time. I headed right out from Darby and up to the Flathead for a week of Scout camp. I just got back, and I'm seeing all these photos for the first time. Lookin' good!

I am pretty sure that Roscoe P. Coltrane did not pee on the tankbag.

[​IMG]
  3. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I arrived home this afternoon from my three-week, 7850-odd-mile trip that included WestFest. A ride report may follow.:wink:

Thanks to everyone who made WestFest '11 a reality.

:clap
    Chris
  4. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    So there was a new restaurant in Darby this year

[​IMG]
    Their chicken fried steak was excellent.

They were also serving a Grilled Cheese Cheeseburger.
    [​IMG]

And yes, Denny (Roadstar151) ate the whole thing. He was kind of disappointed it wasn't bigger!
  5. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:

Glad you could make it out again, Chris. I just wish I could talk Mrs Shady into letting me ride to the Carolinas. :evil

(Gonna need a bigger bike)
  6. Kinsman

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it was good chattin' with you....over by the whiskey jug. Hope to see you wherever WestFest is, next year.
  7. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    OK all you WestFest'ers - Final "thank you's"

Thanks to Kinsman and his lovely wife Christine and family, including Roscoe the Wonder Pup, for the great grub and entertainment. If anyone is on 93 in Florence, MT (near Missoula) be sure to stop in at Long Rider's BBQ and support the Kinsman Clan. :thumb

Thanks to Shady Rascal for the beverage service. :thumb

Thanks to Putts for doing all this last year so it was easy to do this year. :thumb

Thanks to all who helped over the weekend keep things going, the grounds clean, etc.

And finally thanks to everyone that attended. Even with a bit smaller group size, there still was a bit of excess funds, and I just sent off a $650 donation to Baldy to help keep this place running. :clap
  8. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:

Thank YOU, Dave. :wave
  9. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    For those that have not heard, he is out of the hospital and on the mend. May be a very long time before he can climb on a bike again as he is just regaining his voice but he is upright and breathing.

Dennis
  10. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:
    I had not heard he was in the hospital. :cry

Heal up SNR!
  11. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    He had a getoff on the Skalkaho Pass road on Friday the week prior to WF.

Glad to hear he's on the mend. :thumb
  12. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for their concern & suuport. :muutt
  13. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    How ya feel'n bud? and how banged up were/are ya?
    I'm doin some heal'n right now myself...:huh
  14. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Feeling better every day. Banged up would be an understatement - but I'll spare everyone the injury report.

I'm up and about and healing fast.

What happened to you?
  15. Jettn Jim

Oddometer:
    Sure you'll spare your report but ya want me to bore everyone..:rofl
    I'm feeling a million times betta now too!
    3 weeks ago friday....this excerpt from my RR: Was gonna ride the GS Giant trials competition on Saturday (and I really do think I coulda nearly cleaned it...I don't think many people were as intimate with their bikes at low obstacle speeds as I am right now after this 16 week ride and the terrain I've ridden + my gearing, balance and tire setup...buuut that's to be seen another year)
    As I was ripping down a railroad bed near here on 3hrs sleep at 75mph:eek1 (ya I know NOT too SMART!) :jerko I came into a 125yd section of whoops/washouts and about 50 yds from the end which was a blink at that speed "maaan your goin a little HOT for this kinda stuff and your fully loaded too!" about that time she kicks her ass out to the right then the left...I gas it but with the 14tooth and at that speed I can't keep the front end up...a lot more right then alot more left...SLAM! Full Interstate Hwy speed highside...Face plant into a roadbed that 100ton trains had been packing for a century..:puke1
    I get up quick kinda wobbly, week and nauseas ...Im happy to be able to even get up! I see my right cheek start to block my vision...huh Neck is SORE but I can't explain the black eye...I feel that my right hand/wrist is broken, left ankle foot is broken, and my back is feel'n broke too :cry SHIT man this hurts...
    I go turn off the petcock, I can't pick the bike up that's for sure... There are a couple BMW guys from the Rally coming up behind me, I'd given them some directions a bit ago (if theyd be sooo kind as to help a bit)
    I'll post pics and names as soon as I get it all ironed out...
    I walk around picking up pieces of my helmet, dash, and carbon fiber fairing while looking over the bank at my stuff strewn all over from the open pelican case that got ripped off the bike and thrown 45yds through the woods and down the bank! The trees lining the railroad kept Desiree' on the roadway (debarked 6-8 and broke 2-3) LUCKILY I landed in the middle outta the TREES!
    The guys ride up and I ask for some assistance gathering stuff since I can't go down the bank with my foot... I'm just kinda dragg'n my self around moaning, groaning and wheezing hard alot. So after gathering it all up #2 guy starts to put it all in his boxes aaand i say naaa I'll reattatch the pelican and load it back on my bike...it's gotta go back on her eventually...the case goes right back on (Man Pelicans are nearly BOMB PROOF!) and load the rest a the stuff....#1 ask if I think she'll run again and I hold her open and fire her right back up:wink:
    Theyre talk'n about riding me out 2-up on one a their bikes but I've got other plans... I wanna get the 8 miles to the Hospital and NOW...I say to #1 can you hold up against my back sooo I don't fall over?... (hey have you ever tried to swing a leg over a loaded KLR with a broken left ankle, back and right hand??? It AIN"T easy!) I needed ALL the help I could get...They both argue that I should 2-up with one of them, buuut I say "remember when you were young and dumb...you'd ALWAYS drive home from the party NO matter what!...well I'm older now and I'm not drunk...sooo let's go!"
    I'm feeling wheezy and week soo I go slow for a while to make sure I'm not gonna pass out from the head injury... then up to 50ish. They stay with me into town then I loose em cuz they don't know where the Hospital is...aaand I ain't wait'n long on the stoplights:deal
    I get there and luckily a 70+ yr old lady is parking next to me sooo I ask her if she'll please hold/push against my back so I don't fall over as I get off....I thank her ALOT and hold the doors as she also goes into the ER. The nurse ask how I got here...and I tell her I rode..ooh boy she's a bit concerned...
    #1 calls and asks if I made it I tell him yea THANX a million I'm here I'll contact you later too...THANX THANX THANX! (gotta call him again!!)
    The wife shows up and they start the CT scans and Xrays, Compression fractured vertibrae L2, L3, L4 Anterior and posterior, (I think from slamming on my head my body folded in both ways mostly curled inward knees to chest like crushing the vertibrae) bruised kidneys, 2 broken ribs, bruised liver and right lung, broken 4th metatarsal bone on back of right hand from smacking ground, Gamekeepers thumb (tendon/ligament damage from bending outward) a Concussion, vision affected, alotta neck and spinal whiplash, black eye and allota forehead bruising from the helmet, Left ankle leg foot is just sprained (deffinately some tendon/ligament damage...still very STIFF) Sore nuts :eek1 from freeballing it due to the 105degree heat and the pelvic stress, oooh and little road rash from my armor jersey sliding up my back.
    I've been worse aaand I'm VERY THANKFUL my body held up soo great!:clap
    Right before we leave the ER I ask for a pain shot cuz I can't hardly take a deep breath in this humidity, then as it kinda makes me light headed I ask my wife to help me put my gear back on...my's well wear it out right :wink: Then Ask her to follow me to the shop before I pass out from the Synthetic Morphine...:puke1 :muuttShe's NOT HAPPY AT ALL.:annie ..but I assure her I'm fine..(I can be pretty persuasive ya know ) :lol3
    'Ol Desiree' carries me another 1-1/4mi to the shop where I puke twice from the Pain meds (I don't like em!) and I go lay down on the couch for a while and puke two more times...until she goes back to work...:evil That's when I sneek back over to the Rally (it's a block from our house) puke two more times...to watch the Trials competition from 3 till 7 p.m. this is where I see that I had this in the bag LOL (dumbass if ya were'nt all broke up!) It was deffinately perfect for me and Desiree' the Sand obsticle I mastered in Idaho and the UP onle 2 weeks ago...the Mud in the Daks last week...the Rocks also on the whole ride and really in the Daks last week...basically I've been riding fully loaded in some knarly stuff off and on for 4 months...sooo anyway it killed me to watch and not be able to compete..but alas I am/was just thankful for still bein' able to walk around... and should be :bow Riding in a few weeks the Great Spirit and my Body willing...
  16. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Ouch.
  17. Skinstains

Skinstains Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dirty Jersey (still ! gotta change this ASAP)
    Damn Brian, I didn't know you were down and out. This is the first time I checked in since I posted that I couldn't make it this year. I was wondering why you weren't in any pics or posting up. Fell better my friend.

Hey Thumper...I see you made it. Awesome ! We'll be at WF-2012, you can get your hump on then.
  18. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    So where and when WF 2012
    There I said it :eek1
  19. Jettn Jim

Oddometer:
  20. Kinsman

Oddometer:
    Wherever it is, I'm riding there.