Westward bound NH 2 CA through MA BDR and TAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by biles430, Aug 26, 2019.

1. biles430

biles430 n00b

Oddometer:
    Having just completed a trip that I have been dreaming about for over a year I decided I needed to actually write up the experience and share some of the pictures. Having already completed the trip I will now proceed to trust in my memory and share some of my experiences from the trail and road. I started from Dover, NH at the end of May 2019 and ended in Livermore, CA at the end of July, I took the mid Atlantic back country discovery route (MA BDR) down the east coast, linked into the blue ridge parkway and then connected to the trans American trail. I broke down twice, had the bike towed once, got stuck in the mud, but never ran out of gas or smiles.
    Sorry for the late timing but better late than never, hopefully it can help other in planning.

Below is the final map and mileage totals for the trip.
    More to come.
    Cheers

C8AEA144-061C-4FC5-A09A-21577A285058.jpeg
    45B6FEF9-FCD1-4217-BC1B-AB20A59C9F05.jpeg
    Ginger Beard and motorchi like this.
  2. biles430

biles430 n00b

Oddometer:
    NH to PA

Have to start the trip with a good wash.
    44E2DFBE-B4FE-499C-987F-E4DAF8580B1D.jpeg

Ahh the open road!
    CE3C2206-F787-49D2-80F1-BFDF235C0DBB.jpeg

And then of course the rain.. and more rain.. this spring was a vary wet one in New England and boy did it rain a lot. Sure did give me some early testing of all the gear I had put together for the trip across. Happy to say I and the hopefully useful things I dragged along all stayed dry!
    413CFD99-36F8-4D73-837E-456DA4F4A79B.jpeg

Then connecting on to the top of the MABDR I was lead through beautiful rolling farmland. Of all the states I think PA and UT surprised me the most. Did you know there is a PA Grand Canyon!?! I did not and boy was I surprised. The landscape of PA is less of a texture of mountains and more thin steep ridge lines cutting across the state.
    DA68AD1A-995C-4AF1-A796-8640BAA80A58.jpeg

Who doesn’t love a good old overgrown carriage road too!

DF1CD91D-04D5-4EE5-A20B-4A3AEDCD7BD2.jpeg
  3. biles430

biles430 n00b

Oddometer:
    Somewhere deep in the PA woods..
    In about it the middle of PA on a backroad I started to feel the rear end of the bike become loose. At first I wondered if it was just a sandy section and then I felt the tail end at back and forth as if it had no grip, which is a feeling I know well from riding a bicycle.... flat tire. I had never changed a motorcycle tube before but had known I would need to prepare for this so I actually became excited! The feeling of facing a problem and knowing you have all the tools available and lined up is great. I pulled over to the side in a forest road offshoot and got to work. Luckily before I left I had stumbled across some tool advice and had cut a piece of wood to right length so I could prop up my swing arm and elevate the rear tire as the KLR does not have a center stand. This was one of the most useful things I brought on my trip, light, effective as a great piece for backyard engineering.

E5F231AA-550E-4FE3-934E-2A0880C59BEE.jpeg

Nice sunny day to change a tube! Below is the little bastard that brought me to a halt, any idea what it is? Just trying to be a nice riders and pick up the trash of others...

31271E1A-19D6-4FB9-9EE2-3631039E7DEC.jpeg

Back on the road!
    202D363C-005B-493F-9A3F-98E6E0363E15.jpeg

With the steep and dramatic ridge lines that cut across PA you were related to many beautiful views such as this.
    2B014543-E236-4FB9-8E72-3E54DE9AAF8B.jpeg

Then when you have a steep ridge line and an open expanse below you get some great wind climbing up the ridge and I came across a group taking full advantage of what Mother Nature had created.

95D0F1AF-3DD3-49C7-ABFA-BBF0F2EA9A24.jpeg
    sanders446 and boristhebold like this.
  4. Canyon Man

Canyon Man n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you do the TAT solo? Sounds like you had a blast. The TAT is my next trip. A buddy of mine from the service is rolling with me. We are planning on taking a month off to do it. Hear about a detour through Engineers Pass in Colorado that is supposed to be epic.
  5. biles430

biles430 n00b

Oddometer:
    I did. Having a friend along with you will make it a great time.
    For the routes in CO timing is key. I unfortunately had to come through CO to early in the summer and only got to do one of the high mountain passes but they are epic! Just be prepared for some big rock gardens. Let me know if you have any questions!
  6. biles430

biles430 n00b

Oddometer:
    PA to Blue Ridge Parkway

Heading south after catching another rainstorm in northern Maryland I cam puttering to a stop on the side of the road. Bike dead. All power lost. I had made a detour to visit some family and currently sat 5 miles away from my brothers house on the side of a busy road... I lucky found and empty construction site to wheel the bike into and get to work.

Blown main fuse... then after blowing the spare fuse and all the 20 amp fuses I could buy from a local auto shop I called it a day and found a shop which would come tow the bike to take a look at it. Two days later and no clues I decided to give finding the electrical demons another shot. I loaded up and bought all the fuses from a local advanced auto shop and went about the trial and error process of finding the electrical fault.

FA1AAA93-FF6A-481B-8C4E-513FCE1371FB.jpeg

After pulling the front wiring harness apart there was a small amount of water in the harness and after er 10 more blown fuses and a role of electrical tape I called the problem solved. I was back on the road and looking to make up some time so I turned to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not an off-roaders paradise but it was a great way to switch up the roads I was on and see some amazing sights. Great camping, great road, and beautiful sights. I would highly recommend.

D2E7B8CA-ECFD-44C0-B7F2-0D81A2451836.jpeg

E18C1A3A-F2A2-409C-B5C4-AF28B92D9A9F.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on doing almost the exact same trip next summer, on a KLR even. I hope you keep updating this! Very interested to hear more!
  8. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! I did the same thing this summer. Looking forward to your report.