Wet weather gloves

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fish, Oct 30, 2001.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it's time to start thinking about wet weather gear.

Has anybody tried the Held 2914 Gore-tex glove? How do you like it? Is it waterproof or water resistant? Does it stretch-out at all (iow, should it be purchased tight like regular Helds)?

[​IMG]
  2. Dom

Dom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of these, and although I've never gotten them soaked, I have worn them in light rain, and they have retained their original fit.
  3. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    I was poking around a BMW dealership out East a while back, and found some Oneil waterproof gloves- they were basically waterskiing gloves, made out of wetsuit neoprene material, with a very grippy (even when wet) rubber coating on the palm. Very flexible, not too bulky. I was told they don't soak through when wet.

Just another possibility, if you're looking.
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    The thing that bothers me about neoprene gloves is the thought of them shredding/melting in a slide :eek:
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    So that means get them a little bigger than the non goretex version?
  6. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    My wife's sister's boyfriend's father's girlfriend once told me that her brother's girlfriend's sister's husband had gotten hurt when the neoprene non-skid palm on his riding glove had hooked up instead of sliding on the ground in a medium-speed get-off. His arm got pulled under his sliding body and his wrist broke. Others have offered the same opinion - tractiony rubber palms on moto gloves can lead to injuries not incurred with palms that can slide.

- S
  7. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    I guess that means you better get the teflon ones.
  8. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    Sparky obviously prodded:

Good point, provided you use them in the dry. "Tractiony" as used, was referring to the fact that they had a good feel and grip on the controls when wet; rubber-to-rubber was OK when wet. Sliding on soaking wet pavement would be another matter.

They were also covered in the obligatory nylon, with the offending tractiony material cast over this on the palms.

No doubt about the strength and integrity of the Helds. Just trying to pass on soke arcane (and obviously unwelcome) knowledge....
  9. Dom

Dom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope. What I meant is they fit me "just right" when brand new, and despite some occasional light rain use, they still feel "just right." I would buy another pair in the same size. However, I can't offer first-hand (no pun intended) sizing advice for heavy rain duty.
  10. zaydie

zaydie MC Rider

Oddometer:
    By far the best solution to rain gloves is by Aerostich. They sell a product call "Triple Digit Rain Cover" They go over your gloves, winter or summer. Fold into a very small bundle to keep in your riding jacket or tank bag. Any thing that you can do with your gloves on you can do with the rain cover on. Get the XL size. They are great.
  11. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have those exact gloves - wear them all the time in light and heavy rains and never a leak through the glove itself. Typical Held quality as well (and the reflective stuff really works).

Now, as far as water rolling down the sleeve and into the back of the glove, that's a different issue. Not specifically the glove's fault, however.

-JC
  12. Killen

Killen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :1drink

For really wet, soaking weather the neopreme works great! I think they costs all of $20.00 at Cabela's or other hunting type stores.

They breathe well and your hands maintain a good temperature with heated grips even when the air temp is below 50.

They also dry very fast.
  13. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the opinions. I've elected to go with the Aerostich lobster claw things.

[​IMG]
  14. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Fish,
    During last years trip to Alaska I found I needed a better warmer waterproof glove, so, I stopped in Smithers, BC, and found a pair of waterproof, Kevlar, Hipora and Thinsulate lined gloves made for or by Harley D. I was desperate... I bought them. I then managed to finish the trip and ride through some 20 days of rain and cold in comfort. Damn gloves kept my hands warm and dry and are still the first thing I reach for when it's wet and cold. The reason I bring this to your attention is they look an awful lot like the Held gloves you have pictured. Oh yeah, the left hand glove has a squeegee on the back of the index finger.

Harry
  15. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    These are Gore-tex, not Hipora...are they close?

[​IMG]

and dayam...only 45 bones!
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    and then I found this for Baldy's crazy-frozen adventure:

[​IMG]

But seriously boss, I think yer gonna get mighty cold with them assless chaps of yours :rofl
  17. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    <These are Gore-tex, not Hipora...are they close?>

No, Fish, they're more like the Weather Defender Glove:

"Leather glove with water resistant Drytec insert, 4mm insulation of added warmth, and reinforced palm with two layers of leather. Also features precurved fingers, anti-slip grip in fingers and palm, Velcro® wrist closure system, power stretch in wrist and fingers, and single hand draw cord for gauntlet closure system" $85

Mine are marked FXRG, they don't have the draw string, and they could have been water 'resistant' rather than 'repellant', but they did the job. The Weather Defender Gloves may be the new model. I'd hope they're as good.

Attached Files:

18. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Fish,

I've got a pair of these and have mixed opinions. First, in the wet NorthWet winter, they make my Held gloves a true four-season glove. Not only do I stay dry, but the "wind-blockage factor" helps keep your digits warmer. The downside is that the gloves lack any sort of rubberized "grippy" material on the palms. This makes 'em really slippery. It wouldn't be too hard to bond some sort of material to the palms and claws so you could get a better grip.

Marc
  19. Flash_old

Flash_old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a cheap alternative (probably ~$3). Why not purchase some XL industrial dishwashing gloves to slide over your leather gloves - typical they have a nice long gauntlet that would tuck well.

I'm going to Home Depot tonight to look for some.

-Flash
  20. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    I've tried that and was not satisifed one bit. Pros: better than nothing. Cons: worse than almost any moto-designed alternative I've tried.

Kinda like poking arm and head holes in a heavy duty trash bag, if you are without any gear. Yes I've done that.

YMMV

- S