Wet Weather Pants rating required

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kiwirich, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for some Wet Weather Over Pants that work.

Features I'd like ...
    1. Waterproof
    2. Easy to get on & off
    3. Reasonable Lifespan

I'm planning more Dirty Riding & the normal will be Motocross Pants, Knee Braces & Motocross Boots, like usual then i don't want to get drowned in downpours etc.
    Most Overpants seem to be a Bugger to get on with out taking half you gear off and nearly impossible to get off without a complete strip. ...

So, What have you got and how do you rate it's performance

Kiwirich
    Fearless Whetu likes this.
  2. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    jtb likes this.
  3. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. laurient

laurient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for yellow pvc . easy on and off , waterproof , cheap , small pack size , replacement just about anywhere and hi vis .
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Ski-type stuff doesn't require you to take your boots off. If it did there'd be a few less skiers and a few more wakeboarders (or whatever).

Side-zip leg openings are great, I've got a set of Kathmandhu Goretex-2 ski pants (with braces) and they work a treat.
    Now the downside. They are a little bit bulky. Being ski gear it also isn't cheap. Add in a GoreTex label and it keeps getting costlier. Add in the Kathmandhu name and you'd only buy the stuff on 60% discount sales (like I did). So even on ultra-special it still wasn't cheap.

Anyway, side-entry pants are the go if you can find them in the right price range, but for what you intend I'd be thinking nothing too expensive? Plain overpants are cool too, but they need to accommodate a whole boot passing through them to really be of any use.

Garbags and the leccy tape in yer tool roll can be a cheap backup too, inexpensive and small to pack. :deal
    Sfcootz likes this.
  6. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    duckslider likes this.
  7. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
  8. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Go to your local Ag/farmers store, usually plenty of wet weather/dairy overalls type stuff, cheap enough that it if it tears we won't trip over you sleeping on the streets because you missed a Mortgage payment. I wear the Oringi stuff, it stretches a bit before it tears.
  9. tomo8r

tomo8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Army surplus goretex.
    sidetrack one likes this.
  10. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used several pairs of these on many rides over the last 10 years. Lightweight, easy to put on/off (full leg zips). They last about 4 - 5 years before starting to deteriorate.

Outdoor Research Rampart pants
  11. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Do you get Stoney Creek stuff over in Oz? I got some of their Force 18 overtrou from a local ag supply place for exactly the same job - to wear over MX pants when the weather demands. $$$ but hugely more durable than most alternatives, properly waterproof, moderately breathable & a good fit on the bike. Big zips top & bottom of the legs make putting them on over MX boots fairly easy. Mine are just snug over my knee armour though, you'd want to check on fit with full knee braces.

Cheers
    Clint
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  12. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    ALDI rain pants, worked well so far and at $9.95 I can't complain:brow
    bikeroz likes this.
  13. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their gear looks pretty good, never heard of them? Any experience with the jackets?
  14. SnickterP

SnickterP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Rubberised yellow work pants are the ONLY thing that will keep you dry in extended rain.

EVERYTHING else, including GORETEX, will fail after a few hours - I don't care what anybody says.

My yellow rubber work pants are now 40 years old (well almost, I bought them in 1979) and still going strong.

Mind you, they are a kind of dirty grey yellow colour nowadays. :lol3
  16. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Stoney Creek have been an NZ hunting & rural clothing brand for a few years now, maybe not seen much elsewhere. I haven't tried any of their jackets but if I was in the market for a really heavy duty raincoat I'd give serious consideration to the Force 18 one they do in the same fabric as my pants. A couple of years ago I splashed out on a Macpac Resolution XPD AP jacket, which would be another good one to consider if you're looking for a quality full length jacket, a bit lighter than the Force 18 fabric but still fairly tough, very waterproof & massively breathable. Spendy full price but they come on sale often enough.

Cheers
    Clint
    59DEN and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  17. IVA BIGGIN

IVA BIGGIN Live to ride

Oddometer:
    Don't get rjay leaked first time used staight into the bin
  18. Toy Rolex

Toy Rolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was shopping for some over gear as I was heading out for a very wet 3 day ride, I met a salesman at Anaconda and he told me I required a waterpoof measurement of 2200 or greater to stay dry and breath, the problem was he had all that information in his head and it was not marked on any of the wet gear, he sold me some Rianbird stuff and it has worked well, the Aldi bike wets are only rated to 1200 so they will pass water through when the bike hits speed or you are sitting in it, if you can trace down the numbers you will be in a better place to make a choice.
    https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/expert-advice/waterproof-jacket-guide/#ratings
  19. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
    3legs likes this.
  20. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    gavmac likes this.